• movielover
    More should be expected from Cal Poly football and coach Tim Walsh

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/college/cal-poly/article187591173.html
  • movielover
    Interesting critique, and gave their fan site a hot topic.
  • aggie6thman
    Writer says that Cal Poly shouldn't be compared to Notre Dame and Stanford and then compares Poly to Notre Dame and Stanford...
  • DrMike
    I thought the same thing. A little lofty on his opinions. Poly and sac have the same academic standards as CSU’s. Harder to get into poly for an applicant, but same pool for recruits since (I believe) they just have to qualify not get accepted on their own merits
  • movielover
    I like how he also states SLO should be the premier FCS destinatipn West of the Mississippi.

Their fan site takes a few swipes at things he didn't cover, like illegal activity, drug sales, etc.

Reminds me of that Davis Entetprise analysis ... I misplaced the link...
  • BlueGoldAg
    "Cal Poly should be the No. 1 FCS option west of the Mississippi." Huh...?

Pretty rough article...I do, however, agree with the writer when he's says the triple option is boring to watch for the most part...at least it is for me. When you have the lead in the second half you can methodically grind the minutes off the clock but, when you're behind late and can't pass very well it's another story. I'm sure glad we don't run it.

Did Walsh run the triple option when he was at PSU? I always seem to remember that they ran a wide open passing attack...??
  • 69aggie
    Very unfair as well. SLO had a bad year, but also had a lot of injuries. Walsh’s overall record is very good. I believe better than Hawks.
  • movielover
    Writer claimed under .500 at SLO?
  • SochorField
    I've never understood the triple option in the D1 era at Cal Poly.

There is more than enough talent in Southern California alone to field 11 athletes and run a more modern offense if they so choose.

We can't say much about it.....they've been a playoff team multiple times, making this season pretty much an anomaly.

..........................SochorField says CP should recruit for a more modern offense, then points out playoff success and says CP season was an anomaly
  • movielover
    FWIW, he's now 51-52 at SLO after this season.
  • 69aggie
    Yes, but take out this “anomulous” season and his record is quite good.
  • Zander
    I don't think we're really in a position to critique the choice of offense of a school that has some of Davis's problems (not all of them, but some of them) but has had much more success in recent years. The triple option hasn't been terrible for them, at least not every year, and frankly I don't think SLO will be bursting at the seams with fans the instant they switch anyway. So I can understand a reluctance to get rid of it at least.
  • Riveraggie
    Just goes to show that it makes a difference if the Governor feels he needs to make an appearance at your games. Cal Poly has a lot going for it as far as location goes, but its only has a very small regional draw, like Davis. At least their local paper is not behind a pay-wall. I'm sure they have to explain to a lot of recruits, particularly out of state recruits, what and where Cal Poly is.
    On the issue of triple option, I think the criticism is correct. It's not going to carry you to a national championship; its main advantage at this point is that its not what everyone else runs. I'm not sure it's for teams that can't recruit athletes though. You can recruit run focused offensive linemen who can be smaller. The big slow guys are more for pass blocking. I think athletes are just as essential to option teams as to any other teams, maybe more so.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!