• agalum
    UC Davis Football - 2018 Schedule

Sept. 1 at San José State
    Sept. 8 - San Diego
    Sept. 15 - at Stanford (included with each season ticket purchased)
    Sept. 22 - Idaho
    Sept. 29 - Bye
    Oct. 6 - at Northern Colorado
    Oct. 13 - Idaho State
    Oct. 20 - at Cal Poly
    Oct. 27 - at Montana
    Nov. 3 - Northern Arizona
    Nov. 10 - at Eastern Washington
    Nov. 17 - Sacramento State

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121817aab.html
  • CA Forever
    That's a brutal schedule
  • movielover
    Go Aggies! Hawk and Tucker's defense needs to step up.
  • aggie6thman
    Smart idea to include a Stanford ticket with season tickets. We should make all road game tickets available to the general public. Time to increase the number of Aggie fans at road games!
  • agalum
    we had a fun time with the tailgate and for a while during game time at the last Stanfird game :).
  • DrMike
    San Jose State is now Thursday Aug 30, kickoff time TBD. Similar to a few years ago when we opened at Reno the Thursday before Labor Day weekend.
  • movielover
    San Jose State only had 2 wins last year, 1 over SLO... ripe!
  • Goags20172
    For football certainly, definitely basketball. I would be willing to go to Stanford if they followed through on that whole rooter bus idea + buying a season ticket weren't required.

Wouldn't do the same for a Cal match- up though. I thought the university was not worth the trip when I last saw a football game there. I was 9
  • Riveraggie
    Can't complain about league games being too tough. The whole point is to get to where we win those games,
    San Jose State game is a great opportunity for a win.
    I wish we stopped scheduling Stanford
  • DrMike
    at the beginning of last year, we were wringing our hands about the schedule. then North Dakota and Portland went south, and it got much more reasonable.

i do wish we didn't have Stanford. that's a meat grinder kind of game. i remember talking to a line coach at the golf tournament the year after the last Stanford game, and he thought that game left a physical toll on the linemen (especially defense) that lasted several weeks. having a bye two weeks later will certainly help. just hope it doesn't effect them too much vs. Idaho -> a definite winnable home game.

San Jose is still FBS, but that's a winnable game. San Diego is no slouch (right NAU?), especially after seeing us last year. that being said, we COULD be 3-1 heading into the bye week with a winnable roadie at UNC coming up. think positive!
  • Riveraggie
    I saw where San Jose blames their tough season due to playing two ranked teams and Texas on the road to start season. Said it led to injuries to their young physically immature players. They apparently brought in 40 players last year so have a lot of young guys. They hope working on strength will lead to improvement and avoid injury,
    Same prescription a good idea for us.
  • movielover
    From UCD football twitter.

Heads up,@UCDFootball fans... the #Aggies will open their 2020 season on Aug. 29 at Nevada. This is the 55th all-time meeting between the teams, and the first head-to-head game since the team's 2015 season opener. #AGScension
  • Riveraggie
    Back in the seventies when we hosted Reno the game program stated that they were our oldest rival dating back to 1912 or something similar. I’m in favor of playing all the local non pac 12 teams, I know we can get blown out by any of them but they’re all up and down and it could be competitive.
  • Riveraggie
    Not at the moment
  • DrMike
    Dan mentioned at the NSL reception a desire to play top academic schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt as our FBS games. I forgot to ask about trying to get an Ivy in the schedule. I know it’s challenging to get them since they play fewer OOC games and start a couple weeks later then us. Poly and San Diego have hosted in the recent past
  • Riveraggie
    Northwestern might be a little challenging; sometimes they are really good. Too far to travel to get pounded; we might as well play cal or UCLA. Better to schedule Rice.
    Service Academies would be nice to schedule although they were pretty good this year.
    Although we can’t foresee the future we should avoid games where it unlikely we would ever win.
    But some of the FBS teams vary so much year to year that we would have had a shot with last years team. San Jose, Hawaii and Reno are examples. Their valley years drop below our good years, so it’s not hopeless, although no sure win. I wish we had played any of those 3 last year.
  • DrMike
    we're back at Reno in 2020.

Rice would be a good one. Playing at West Point or Annopolis would be a once-in-a-lifetime event for the players.
  • aggie6thman
    You can almost forget about playing Northwestern or any Big Ten school since the conference banned FCS teams from football schedules two years ago. They've since "loosened" the rules to allow for an FCS team when they only have four conference home games.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/7/24/16020112/big-ten-fcs-opponents-football-scheduling

@Riveraggie, I don't believe UCLA schedules FCS games. We should focus on the Mountain West, low tier PAC 12 teams, and try to pick off an Ivy along the way.
  • DrMike
    You’d think we’d be accractive to an Ivy since many have decent size alum groups in the Bay Area. Makes more sense than SLO
  • aggie6thman
    They'd probably host all those Bay Area alums at some swanky winery, you know one of those places with cloth napkins. I've heard about them, never been allowed inside.
  • movielover
    If you're real special, some places have fancy screw tops...
  • Riveraggie
    I wasn’t advocating playing either UCLA or Cal, just saying Northwestern might not be any easier. My main point is.that we should schedule teams where we might have a chance for an upset, and avoid programs that are consistently top tier FBS. Some FBS schools are beatable by teams at our current level about 50% of the years. San Jose state is an excellent example. Two or three years ago they were pretty good, last year they were pretty bad. Hawaii and Nevada are up and down teams. Stanford has gone through periods like that, in 2005 we caught them on a down year, but they’ve been consistently good since so let’s not schedule them. Once we start beating teams like Nevada, San Jose State and the best teams in our league the we can revisit playing Cal, Stanford etc. Think NDSU which started by beating Ball State and Minnesota when UMN was really horrible,
  • movielover
    You're leaving out travel costs, PR, and the contract fee we receive. Stanford has low costs, high payout, and great PR. ... curious, on a game like this does the team go down night before, or morning of the game? ... we have played 2 games back east?

Our offense is light years ahead of last trip, but Stanford's offense is hellish.
  • Riveraggie
    It’s not great PR when you get blown out. I really think the embarrassment we had with the games against Cal and Fresno State were net negatives to recruiting and attendance.
  • DrMike
    i was just checking schedules for next year. Ivy's play 10 games, 7 in league. They all open on Sept 15. next year, Harvard is at USD and Brown is at Poly.

i would love to play a game like that. challange would be if they insist on a home-home series -> then you have to fly cross country for your third game of the year. unless you had a 4th week bye, that would be a big impact on a team.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I think UCLA, U$C (sorry I'm also a Cal fan), and ND have never played FCS teams. They are the only ones.
  • Riveraggie
    I wonder what the door to door travel time getting to a remote Big Sky location is compared to getting to Harvard.
  • DrMike
    They charter out of sac these days so that helps. But good point; not sure how they get to cedar city.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!