• BlueGoldAg
    Jim Les is seeking his 100th victory as the Aggie head coach on Thursday evening against CSUN. Ailene Voisin of the Sacramento Bee wrote a nice article about Les as he nears this threshold and about the rise of Aggie basketball from Big West cellar dweller to annual contender.

I thought the section about recruiting was very interesting:

For all of the attributes – lovely campus, college town, great location for biking and hiking – the university’s academic demands substantially reduces the pool of potential recruits and forces the Aggies to search far and wide.

“We want to get more involved internationally,” Les said, “places like Australia, Serbia, all over Europe. The world has shrunk and the administration has been great about recognizing that. They said, ‘We will give you the resources to compete against the Ivy League, Stanford, the top academic schools in the country.’ And because of last year’s success, we are in some places that we weren’t sure we would be in. Now it’s your ability to close, for a young man to look at this as a unique opportunity. We just have to look a little harder, that’s all.”

He also talked about the need to clean up cheating in college basketball:

“I want the game cleaned up,” Les said forcefully after practice Monday. “For the guys that try to do it the right way, it’s been very frustrating because we all know it’s been going on for a very long time. You see guys (analysts) on TV, and they say, ‘Oh, he’s a great recruiter.’ Yeah, well, with a shoebox full of hundreds, it would be easy to be a great recruiter. But I just think it’s wrong. Many of us realize the NCAA doesn’t have the resources to solve the problem, but just the fact they’re trying to clean up the game is encouraging. I don’t care what steps they have to take. Clean it up. Just the perception that it’s out there I think has scaled it (corruption) back.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article196289909.html#storylink=cpy
  • zythe
    Feels good to have this guy on board...

“I’m not one of those guys who uses these types of jobs as a (launch) to something else. We put a lot of work into this. I want to reap the benefits of what we’ve built. And when you get to a situation like this, where everybody is pulling together, you feel like, ‘Man, we can climb any mountain.’ ”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article196289909.html#storylink=cpy
  • movielover
    The multi billion dollar NCAA doesn't have the resources to stop cheating?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good point...go figure...
  • BlueGoldAg
    It feels great to have a coach who is so dedicated to the ideals of Aggie athletics even though it's tough to compete with programs that don't embrace the same values. Les is an intense competitor as anyone can see when you see him on the sideline during a game but, underneath that intensity, is a very knowledgeable basketball coach whose strives to win the right way and who cares deeply about the well-being of his players. Like Hawkins, I think Les can take the program a long way. Aggie Pride - Aggie Rise...
  • Davisbear
    Great article, nice to see some local publicity for the program. Les is a good fit and shows that any UCD team should be able to compete for league titles, you just need the right coach in charge.
  • DrMike
    We kind of lucked into Les -> thank goodness! His son was here as a very late signee, he was let go at Bradley, and we needed a coach badly. Had Tyler not been here I can’t imagine we’d have attracted his interest. Can’t imagine who Tumey would have found (I shudder to think!)

Two championship seasons is pretty sweet for fans. Following up a senior-laden championship season with another possible contender ( one who knocked off a pac12 team who hasn’t recovered from that beat down) is very impressive. Fun team to follow, great kids to cheer for. Very happy he’s here. He seems to have embraced Davis.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!