• 69aggie
    Don’t know how this directly effects athletics, but anyway you cut it this is a big deal. It would move all Division of Ag and Natural Resourses to Davis, UC Press to UCLA and Ed. Abroad to Santa Barbara with those campuses getting all the new funding needed to operate. Somewhat concerning is the new idea of totally spinning off all the UC Medical Centers and Health systems into one unitifed new division. I know UC Davis Health is a big contributor to UCD athletics, so i wonder if this happens that support goes away. This is just now a proposal, but I bet the big boys UCSF and UCLA would not like this one bit, unless, of course, they get to run the new show all by themselves. Article says UC Health systems is ONE THIRD of the total UC budget! Wow, i did not know that. . . .
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I think the state politics would not allow for a true overhaul at this point, particularly in the area of the Health Systems. The state pols are less overawed at UC than in the past. It is kind of interesting as when we were the Northern Branch, gradually all of Cal's Ag-ish programs moved to Davis over the course of 15-20 years.
  • movielover
    Curious, anyone know how many floors the UCOP occupies in Oakland?
  • fugawe09
    UCOP occupies the whole building at 1111 Franklin St. Offices are floors 5-12 and parking on 1-4.
    They have several additional spaces rented--
    300 Lakeside Dr, floors 3, 5, 6, 7, 12
    1111 Broadway, floors 14 and 21
    415 20th St, floors 3 and 4 (lower floors are UC Berkeley labs)

As far as Div of Ag and Natural Resources, most of the people who do anything productive are already at Davis or local county offices. Most of the people in Oakland get in the way of anything productive so I'm curious how excited the local crowd is on this idea.
  • 69aggie
    Good point fug. UCOP stole the strawberry program when it was making the big bucks patentwise. Apparently thought Davis was not “sophisticated” enough to know how to run the program. I Knew someone from Davis that then had to commute to Oakland from Davis every day (train) to help them with the program. That was way before Napolitano. But as we all know, the strawberry program then got entangled in multiple patent disputes and lawsuits that lasted for years. But maybe Napolitano sees the light: UCOP- too many people and not enough to do in downtown Oakland. I think we got the strawberry program back, but I really don’t know how that all played out.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!