• 69aggie
    Absolutely shameful that the sac bee has not had a single story about the most successful college athletic team in the Sacramento area, the UC Davis Aggie Woman’s Basketball team going into the sweet 16. This is a sport that needs to be advanced for woman’s equity in college sports and if we cant get some support from local media it is a doomed effort. Shame on the SACRAMENTO BEE!! Go ahead and hate UC Davis for whatever reason, but show some support for the Aggie Woman’s Basketball Team. Yep, not hopeful at all. Somethings really wrong there. . . .
  • movielover
    Email or call The Bee!
  • 72Aggie
    May be a good thing. Ailene Voisin wrote two pieces on the men's team and they lost a first round NIT game. She wrote one on Nevada and they lost their next game in the NCAA's. Maybe we don't want an article.

Seriously, the state of print journalism is deteriorating rapidly, and the Bee might even be ahead of pace. The cost goes up as the paper gets smaller, and most of the articles are provided by wire services. When they do cover local colleges the article is usually buried in a "Regional" column, and somewhere in the article are the words, "according to a UCD/CSUS website."

Women make the final eight of the WNIT and all they get is a score in the fine print summary.
  • 69aggie
    Out of total and complete frustration over this I did email the Bee sports editor with a piece of my mind (as if it will do any good?) anyone else might give it some thought. His email: . Remember, reasonable ranting is good for your mental health. . . .
  • 69aggie
    Sorry, just got an email from him. He’s no longer the sports editor; said “he would pass it on” to the right person. Did not name the “right person”. I agree with 72, this paper is going downhill, cutting staff, transferring people etc. trying to stay alive as they say. Well the UC Davis WBB has certainly done that so far. Go Ags!
  • agalum
    I havent looked at todays on-line version, but we dropped our subscription about 4 months ago. They wanted $1,000 for a full subscription annually. Beyond that, their politics are polar opposite of mine.
  • 72Aggie
    Another frustrating thing is that it's difficult to figure out just who the editors are. You can write to individual reporters, but identifying people higher up in the management chain is difficult.

There is nothing in either the print edition or the online edition about the women's team. I think the last thing they had at all was following the men's loss.
  • eastbayaggie

$1000? Is that the going rate for newspaper subscriptions?
  • BlueGoldAg
    We pay about $400 per year for the print and digital versions of the Sacramento Bee and that includes a tip for the delivery person. We get billed every 3 months.
  • zythe
    I’d rather subscribe to The NY Times or the Washington Post
  • BlueGoldAg
    We have those two online also. I guess you could say we are news junkies! We get the Bee and the Davis Enterprise for local news.
  • agalum
    $400 quarterly or yearly? Our annual bill was just south of $1,000.
  • agalum

Wow, i wonder if that was a promotional offer. When we received our last bill, i told my wife not to renew. I just noe looked on their website, they only show the promotional deals. Maybe it changes based on zip code?
  • BlueGoldAg
    We've been subscribers since the late 70's and prices have certainly gone up but we've never paid anything like what you are reporting. I'd give them a call if I were you and see what the deal is.
  • movielover
    El Mercero rate?
  • 72Aggie
    I get the idea that Bee subcription rates are like airline tickets. You may be paying something significantly different than the person in the seat next to you for the same ride.

Had a friend cancel the print subscription recently, and - shh!!! - they still get the online subscription for free. Have another friend who says he cancelled the print subscription and has not paid for the online subscrition for years.

I also had problems with the Bee's online registration. I arranged for a subscription for a very senior relative, all to be billed through me. I used my e-mail address. That person died. I tried to set up an online account for my own subscription and it took more work than necessary to tie that account to my e-mail. Now it won't let me read more than a few issues on an iPad, even though I have a subscription.

Trying to contact them about subscription or delivery issues is difficult.

I understand print papers are having a rough time in the age of the internet, but the Bee is not adapting to the cyber-age very well.
  • 72Aggie
    And NOW they run a story.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article206792114.html

First round home win: nothing.

Second round road win: nothing.

Third round nail-biting win at "power conference" school: nothing.

Fourth round loss at Indiana: they write something.
  • agalum

Of course. We lost. In their book that’s something to write about.
  • 72Aggie
    To twist an old journalism adage, "it's woman bites dog" news.
  • 69aggie
    Probably my email to the sports editor p***ed him off and gave him the opportunity to say: “OK here’s your story- you lost.” Sometimes I should just repress my frustrations with the bee and as they say just “let it go”. . . . .
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!