• eastbayaggie
    I can't find anything substantial on this guy. Any thoughts?
  • PortlandAggie
    The video I found was even hard to find. Very interesting.
  • Davisbear
    Yes, didn't see any ratings out there on this guy. I'm thinking a walk on perhaps. Looks like he had a good high school career for a solid bay area program
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I couldn’t find anything either. Strikes me as a walk-on guy. Staff must see something they think they can develop.
  • DrMike
    i didn't think you could announce walk-ons officially. might be getting a ton of academic/financial aid, so we're getting him for almost free.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah, that's a good point. Must be a good reason why they announced his addition.

Gone...Chima/Michael/Arell/Strom In...Squire/Fuller/Shaw/Ba
  • BlueGoldAg
    54% shooting overall including 47% from 3 during his high school career is impressive and we all know that Les likes players that can shoot from distance. My guess is that he's a sleeper that has a big growth potential.

Steph Curry was not highly recruited out of high school. He had no major D1 offers (only mid-majors Davidson, Winthrop and Virginia Commonwealth) and Virginia Tech, his father, Dell Curry's alma mater, offered him a walk-on. Maybe Les has found a sharpshooting, diamond-in-the-rough...
  • eastcoastag
    I believe this signing increases the roster to 17 players for next season.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I hope you're right...and I trust the history of this staff finding guys like Chima and Shorts. I think Mooney was lightly recruited, too, if my memory serves me, and he's turned into a reliable piece of the puzzle.

17 sounds right. I'd imagine all the freshman (4) redshirt, bringing the active roster to 13. After having to use a backup shooting guard to play significant minutes at power forward last year, it'll be really nice to have a deep and reliable bench.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good point about this coaching staff finding guys that have been largely overlooked but turn out to be great players. Sometime I feel a little envious that schools like UCSB, LBSU and Hawai'i regularly make offers to players who are being heavily recruited and are rated 3 or 4 stars and occasionally land one or two of them.

Les seems to rarely go after players that have garnered a lot of attention from lots of schools yet he finds players that fit the UCD mold and his system. I think he is just so very well connected with the basketball community at all levels throughout the country that he gets a lot of good tips about under recruited players who have huge development potential. These players are usually really hungry for a chance to play and are appreciative that Les sees something in them and are willing to work very hard in return. Les build teams where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and that has created a winning culture at Davis.
  • 69aggie
    I seem to see some similarity in the recruitment strategies of both hawk and les. Go high when you can, but look at the edges for the players who do not or have not been +3 +4 which are actually out of out range anyway both in MBB and FB. Maybe they have a beer together at the grad from time to time.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!