• BlueGoldAg
    The Ags and the Hornets will square off tonight at the Golden 1 Center for the annual Causeway Classic Basketball Game at 7 pm.

The Ags are off to a slow start this year but have shown improvement in their last 3 outings. They continue to struggle offensively but are playing much better defensively. The Hornets come into the game having only played two games so far this season: they beat Simpson 76-52 and won their exhibition game over Bethesda 103-55.

I was surprised to see just how poor the Hornets have been over the years. They've only had one winning season in the last 30 years. The 2014 team was 21-12 but you have to go all the way back to 1987-88 to find another winning season. However, the Aggies trail the all-time series record 66-50.

With the Aggie offense having shown few signs of life so far this year, tonight's game will probably shape up as a defensive struggle. Playing in the Golden 1 Center is a real treat for the teams and the fans but the vastness of a nearly empty arena makes it hard for shooters to get dialed in also.

The game will be aired on KHTK 1140 AM. There will not be an online tv stream.

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    we are 1.5 point favorites which seems about right. we're shuffling a bit, they have only played Simpson. I was encouraged by the defensive level last week, and we shot better from the floor on Sunday. FT's killed us (and the 17 or so turnovers didn't help). hopefully we put it together tonight.

first time at the Causeway b-ball game at the Golden 1. should be fun.
  • Zander
    If anyone wants an extra GA ticket, my coworker had something come up so now I have a spare
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's a fun evening. If both teams were doing better we'd have a better crowd but the Kings staff always does a good job of keeping the atmosphere lively no matter what the crowd size or the score of the game. It's the best basketball arena I've ever been in and It's hard to keep your eyes on the actual game with that amazing Jumbotron.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Always look forward to this game. My son and I have gone to the previous years, and since it's held during Thanksgiving break, he's home so we can make this one again. Like BGA said, the Golden 1 is a great facility. We usually try and get there pretty early to walk around and take in the whole atmosphere.

Hopefully the defense shows up for a full game tonight. The offense will come around, but until then, the defense needs to carry us. Go Ags!
  • 69aggie
    Will we see are very own Aggie Katerina Kountourus as MC or does she have to stay neutral for this game?
  • DrMike
    AgAlum and I are meeting for dinner and drinks at punch bowl social then heading to the game.
  • Zander
    same plan for me; today was a glorious day to forget to pack lunch
  • agalum
    Warm ups, Go Ags
  • BlueGoldAg
    I love this arena. Go Ags!
  • madcityscott
    Seems like the Hornets are a little more used to this place, if the shooting is any indication.
  • agalum
    They are playing better D then we are as well
  • movielover
    30-27 Sac at the half.
  • quadshock
    All tied up at 38, 13 min left
  • madcityscott
    Siler’s lighting it up.
  • Zander
    Crushing disappointment
  • madcityscott
    John with zero points. But hats off to Sac State for their D.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I guess I'm old school because I'd rather lose to any team on our schedule than Sac. I absolutely hate losing to the Hornets in basketball or football. They've only had one winning season in the last 30 years in basketball so this one stings (pun intended!). Ugh...

Buckle up Aggie fans. We're in for a rough ride this season.
  • Zander
    I mean it was basically a tossup; if Siler's last shot had bounced in the last thirty seconds would have been pretty different.

I suspect this season will wind up like Siler's and Garrison's freshman season -- the team will lose some games it shouldn't and go through growing pains but scrape out a mid table finish in BWC play
  • madcityscott
    The chemistry seems a little off to me. I like how Shorts is basically willing the team along, but I think they could benefit from more leadership from a big man. It’s a very outside-in team. (If that makes sense.)
  • Gunrock47
    Indiana is going to punk them on Friday.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yep 1-5 heading to 1-6. One of those years that you don’t worry about the record. It’s all about getting ready for the bwt in March.

The lack of offensive production from our big men was glaring last night. A tip in from Russell and a few free throws by Goode is all I can remember. I know we’ll never have huge pt totals from them but you have to have at least the threat to open up some options for the guards.

I did think it was Fullers best game. He got into early foul trouble but he looked more comfortable. Also nice to see Siler get his stroke back.
  • agalum
    I thought overall Sac was the better team, by a slight margin. But the game changer was free throws. We shot 39%. They shot around 75%. Had we dropped the same %, we win.
  • SoCalAggie
    Pretty sure if you look at the last 3 games Shorts has led in the rebounding category?!?!? That’s pathetic.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Les recruits guards first and foremost. I follow the recruiting as close as I can and I would say, from what I have seen, 2/3's of his offers are to guards. It's not easy to land talented PF's and post players at a mid-major school but Russell Turner at Irvine does it very well and it's paying off for them.

Irvine is currently 6-0 and they have 6 players 6'8 and taller on their roster. They have a 6'9 RFr PF, Colin Welp, who is a great looking big man and he's just starting his basketball career. They have great balance overall, can score the ball and don't rely pretty much solely on defense to be competitive.
  • DrMike
    We really stagnated with a couple minutes to go up by a few. We were milking the clock but never got a good look. I would have liked to see TJ or Gonsaleshandling the ball more there -> Silar seems to get himself into bad spots and has to force a pass (turnover) or kick off for a rushed bad shot. Should have won that one.

I really like Gonsales. He plays hard, has a nice looking shot, defends and plays with confidence. Like to see him out there more. AJ is really struggling. If he gets hot, that could get this team going
  • Oldbanduhalum
    In the past few years, when we were up with a few minutes left, we'd let guys like Hawkins or Lemar sit on the ball then create a shot or get to the line. TJ and Siler try to do that now, they just couldn't quite get it down last night. We are not going to be blowing too many (any?) people out, so we are going to have to learn how to finish games. There was a spot when we were up by 6 and John missed an open 3, sac st came back and hit a three and sucked all the momentum away.

I like Gonzalez also. As good a shooter as we have, and looks like he works hard on defense.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I caught the very brief radio interview with Les after the game. Les essentially said he felt that we had too many breakdowns on defense in the final few minutes and that we didn't score in last 5 minutes of the game.

One thing I have noticed about Les is that he can often be critical of the team's energy and effort, breakdowns on defense and turnovers on offense, but he rarely has much to say about our offensive play. I think his feeling is that there's not a lot you can do about the ball not going in the hoop with any consistency and that you just have to keep battling on defense and hope that some shots eventually start to fall.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yep, we were up 6 and AJ missed badly on an open 3 but then Goode also missed 2 FT's as well although he is shooting FT's better than he ever has. There's something stagnant about our offense with a lot of perimeter passing without getting many open looks. The lack of inside production is glaring.

We are only shooting 35% from the field so far this year and only 25% from 3. Siler is shooting 26% from 3, Mooney 27% and AJ 19%. That hurts. Teams are going to make us beat them from the outside with numbers like that. Gonzalez is shooting 36% from 3. We need him to keep firing away.

I was shocked to see that Sac has only had one winning season in the last 30 years. They've been a really weak program for a long time. That makes losing to them hurt even more.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here's another stat that we need to clean up. We have turned the ball over 106 in 6 games for an average of 17.6 per game. Of those, TJ and Siler have accounted for 58 TO's. That means our two main ball handlers have committed 58% of our TO's. That's not good.

I think TJ's 27 TO's are largely due to how hard he is trying to make something happen when the offense is struggling. He's fearless and will drive the ball into the redwoods but teams know that now and are more prepared for him. Siler just drives himself into trouble too often. He's fearless also and never quits but he seems to be pressing more this year and turning the ball over.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!