• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies are back on the road again for the 12th time in 14 games as they travel to Seattle to tangle with the Redhawks at 7 pm Wednesday. The game will be played at the 8,000 seat Key Arena. The Redhawks have won 4 of their last 5 while the Ags have lost 5 out of their last 6. The Aggies will be looking to get back on track with only two games left before league play begins. Seattle leads the all time series between the two schools 6-3.

This game should be a pretty even match up but the Aggies will need to play like they did earlier in the season and not like they have been playing lately. Seattle will present one huge problem for the Ags and that problem is 7'3 center Aaron Menzies who averages 12.9 ppg and 7 boards per game. He'll be a load. I expect that Garrison Goode will see a little more PT as he continues to work himself back into shape after coming back from his early season injury.

Live stream on the WAC Digital Network at 7 pm: http://www.wacsports.com/watch/?Live=139

Go Ags!
  • OldAggieAlum
    I'm excited about this game. I bought my ticket today. I live near Seattle, but my job has prevented me from attending the games in Seattle in the past. I just retired, so now I'll be able to start attending the games up here. This will be my first time to see Aggies basketball live since the 70s.

Hopefully Garrison will be back playing like he did early in the season and the Aggies come away with a win! Go Ags!

As a member of the Aggie Band, I attended every game, home and away, except the few that had time conflicts with football games early in the season. It's unfortunate that the conference doesn't allow visitor bands. I learned more about life, teamwork, and having a positive, can do attitude on those frequent band trips; skills that prepared me more for the real world, than did all the classes I took at Davis.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Have a great time OAA. I'm with you. I went to almost every game in the mid eighties. Too bad that tradition ended.

Go Ags
  • BlueGoldAg
    Welcom to AST OldAggieAlum! There are a few of us here on the forum who used to attend Aggie basketball games in Hickey Gym with Ham going crazy. (Y)
  • Davisbear
    Seems like a game the Ags need to win heading into the Big West
  • BlueGoldAg
    Absolutely agree. This team has some nice potential but has been very inconsistent. We need to find a way to be more consistent if we are going to compete at all in the Big West. If things don't change, we'll finish at or near the bottom of the league.
  • aggie6thman
    I haven't looked at the media guide, but I feel like Seattle has had our number for a LOOOOOONG time. I hope the tide changes tonight!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Seattle leads the all time series 6-3 but they do seem to have our number for sure. We have not played well up in Seattle. IIRC it seems like the last time we were up there the we were sluggish and sleepwalking. I don't know what the deal is but it seems like we mostly go to Seattle and they don't come to Davis very often.

I think this is an important game for the Ags. We've been going backwards.
  • aggie6thman
    6-3, that's it? Felt a lot worse than that. Like you said, this is a big game to win before we start conference play. Key Arena has to be a tough place to shoot. Sight lines of an NBA arena but with the black drapes around the upper level plus the high ceiling. Yuck.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Fun basketball game to watch at the moment with the Ags up 6 24-18. Chima is amazing for a 6'6 player. He really has a nose for the ball.
  • BlueGoldAg
    So far we've neutralized him pretty well and the Aggies are pushing the ball at every chance they get. Ags take a 39-27 lead into the half and we are winning the points in the paint 24-14. Good energy, good defense and excellent ball movement by the Ags so far.
  • True Blue Aggie
    Chima went down. Lower leg. Couldn't tell if he turned an ankle, or someone stepped on his shin as he was on the deck, or if it was a cramp. Announcers were no help.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I saw that. He looked a little lame going into the dressing room at the half. We can hardly afford to lose him.
  • True Blue Aggie
    SU loses their big dude for the game. Slight injury. Chima is back. Thank goodness.
  • True Blue Aggie
    Got messy but a "W" is a "W". I'll take it. Got clean up to do for sure.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We literally survived after squandering a 16 point lead with 9 minutes to go but, like you, I'll take the W as well.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Got to limit the turn overs but overall a good effort
  • aggie6thman
    Road wins are always tough, no matter the opponent. Time to clean it up before playing and unpredictable Utah Valley. They beat BYU by 13 and lost to everyone else in Utah.
  • movielover
    I only got to see Ham at Rec Hall, I bet Hickey was amazing...esp with the Band. When I traveled to away games, fans always asked, "Is your band here?"
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, when Hickey was packed and the Band-uh was blaring away, it was deafening and often sweltering hot as well. When I first arrived at UCD I couldn't believe that a university the size of Davis was playing D2 basketball in a crackerbox gym. It was a lot of fun though and it never felt empty like the Pavilion can when the fans stay home.
  • movielover
    Ham knew everyone. Did he call everyone "babe"? ... He got coffee in the Coffeehouse all the time.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I don't know if he called everyone "babe" but I think he liked being around all the pretty, young coeds on campus.

The last time I spoke with Ham I was sitting at a table at Blake's with a friend who was cute as a button and Ham was sitting by himself at another table having a drink. I happened to look over and caught his eye and got up and walked over to our table and started chatting away in that raspy, coarse voice of his.

He started going on about how we were going to build a first class basketball facility (Pavilion) and how excited he was for the future of Aggie basketball. But, at one point, he just stopped himself in mid-sentence and said to my friend, "You've just cute as ever and have a really great twinkle in your eye." She blushed a bit and we all laughed. He was a unique character who just lived and breathed Aggie basketball.
  • movielover
    Was that the fancy by college standards restaurant in the lower level, near First Street?

I know Ham wasn't happy with the cavernous feel of Rec Hall. I didn't see any games his final year but hear he put together a great season with a bunch of rookies.
  • DrMike

Blakes is where the Hallmark now sits. The Cellar restaurant in the bottom (sawdust on the floor), bar and nicer restuarant upstairs. My roommate was a bartender, way back in the day
  • BlueGoldAg
    The basement was called the Rathskeller. The Davis Larry Blake's was a sister establishment to the Larry Blake's Rathskeller in Berkeley which was a famous hangout for college students on Telegraph Avenue. They closed their doors after 71 years in 2011.

The building that the Davis Blakes was in was torn down when the block was redeveloped but I'm not sure what year it was that it actually closed its doors. The basement was always packed wall-to-wall during Happy Hour on Thursday nights. Good times & memories...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!