• Riveraggie
    I think there is no way there will be an indication who will play. I don’t even think there will be an indication who is practicing.
  • CA Forever
    Yeah, Hawk has zero incentive to give any indications of who will play. Make them spend the time to prepare for all of them, keep them guessing.
  • movielover
    There was a stretch there late where he went from not throwing, to throwing 3-4 20 yard plus balls, one into triple coverage. Maybe his decision, pushing to make something happen.

agalum, "Gould stand by his man" I'm not sure that's fair. He had his starter, then used Jimmy Laughrea, back to his starter, then Ben Scott. Our offense eventually centered on a walk on RB.
  • Riveraggie
    I’m sure not his decision.
    On the second consecutive long pass to I think it was Harrell along the sideline near the end zone the defender actually grabbed the receiver by the front of his jersey. Their defenders pushed their luck on the pass interference calls all game and then their fans and announcers moan when it’s called. If your always walking that line it’s going to get called sometime.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    During Hawks press conference today he said that Hunter is feeling good, no symptoms, and that, although he didn't practice today, they expect him to be available on Saturday.
  • Riveraggie
    is the press conference posted somewhere?
  • movielover
    (Sac Bee just posted De Vere's Irish Pub closing in Sacramento and Davis next week.)
  • CA Forever
    That's good to hear about HR. I hope they don't rush him back though and that he only sees the field on Saturday if he is truly 100%.
  • DrMike
    that's sad to hear. haven't been in there in awhile, but thought the food was pretty decent. its going to be interesting how the restuarants will cope will all the students coming back, after working with skeleton crews for such a long time. we tried desperately to find early Sunday breakfast after the Dixie game, and the waits were 45 minutes with only about half the table taken (Bernardo's, Black Bear, Crepeville). This Sunday I think we'll order via Door Dash, pick up and bring it back to the room (or eat at Central Park).
  • Toke69
    Historical trivia: From 1922 to 1959m Idaho was a member of the Pacific Coast Conference along with Cal, Stanford, UCLA, etc. Idaho won very few games and almost always finished last (exception being a first place finish in 1927 with a 2-0-2 conference record) in football and not much better in other sports. The PCC fell apart amidst all kinds of scandals, but pretty much re-formed as the Pac 8, minus the Vandals.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Losing de Veres really hurts. We are actually going tonight for one last meal. Hope they can find another nice restaurant/pub in that spot
  • movielover
    An article today in the Davis Enterprise says downtown is booming.

The City also smartly did a Monday promo for students which brought out a huge crowd.
  • Zander
    I was looking forward to their breakdown, their before and after shows were pretty fun last year
  • AggieFinn
    Consensus among the group is that Davis wins the game. Regarding the Vandals, they don't know what this team is, two FBS losses and then Simon Fraser.
  • NCagalum
    I remember seeing Idaho play UOP in Stockton at a band day in the early 70s when I was in a high school band in the same county. Don’t remember who won. Also saw Santa Clara with Dan Pastorini beat Pacific in Stockton at another band day. I think Pacific was in the PCAA then. Not sure about Idaho.
  • CA Forever
    These guys actually provide some pretty good insight and I think they did last year as well. If I remember correctly one of them even made a few posts on the forum. Seem like good guys that have suffered way too much of Petrino.
  • AggieFinn

They even eluded to hoping Beau Baldwin would pull a Lane Kiffin, jump ship at Poly, and take over for Petrino as HC.
  • CA Forever
    I'd be grasping for anything if we had a coach that was .333 over 9 seasons
  • DrMike
    In spring we ran the ball well (200 yards) especially for the first game, and Hunter was lights out. I think their COVID issues were primarily in the OL, so I’m hoping we can replicate that (although Hawk says their DL is amongst the better ones we’ll face). Like always, don’t give up any big plays and minimize mistakes (especially turnovers) on offense
  • TatCChris
    Another year another UC Davis Showdown. Starting to feel we play you guys more then any other school so far hahaha.

Best of luck this week really wish I could make it down! I had it all planned out in 2020....

I see you guys found our preview and thanks CA Forever for popping over to AllVandals and giving our fans the Covid Entrances scoop!

Quick Hitters for those not wanting to listen to hour long episode (would love if you would though)

QB is a two way battle between Grad transfer from Uconn Mike Beaudry (played every snap vs yall last year). played much better in fall vs FBS teams then he did in spring vs FCS. Then true freshman CJ Jordan who had a few P5 offers out of HS before a knee injury in senior year. He is showing some growing pains but should be the future. CPP is being cagey as usual and "It has been decided but cares not to share information at this moment". Knowing Paul it will probably be Beaudry though us at Tubs would rather see CJ.

We have 3.5 really good RBs Johnson (Rsr), Romano (so), Cummings (fr) & then Carter (so) who is back on team after 1 year removed due to academics.

Coach Hawkins is correct. Our front 7 is awesome! that said your Oline and Gilliam are more up to the task than many.

Last years game was close with 24 players out due to Covid including 9 starters. But if you look at Stats it really wasn't as close as scoreboard showed. UC Davis moved ball at will. We expect more of the same we all predicted a Davis win by as little as 10 and as much as I believe 23

If you guys are going to game our STUD Linebacker #8 Tre Walker (Fresno, CA) who will most likely be leaving early for NFL's dad Albert is planning a big tailgate. Im sure they would love for folks to stop by and say hi and talk some football.

We also have 2 kids from Staggs in Stockton #7 WR Cutrell Haywood (Should Start) & #34 S Jabril Pharms (probably wont see playing time) another Stockton kid #13 DB Jordan Doyle. All in All we have 26 kids from California on team. I imagine their parents make trip as well.

Here's to a good game and may the worst team win... for my sake :)
  • CA Forever
    I didn't see the show live, but watched the whole thing. To answer one of the early questions y'all had, Hawk said in a press conference yesterday that Rodrigues should be available this weekend, but I imagine they are still playing it by ear.
  • Idaho Aggie
    'Jealous' is the wrong word. 'Resentful' is more accurate. Idaho has a North-South rivalry going, just like California, but the state capital and the economic weight of the state is in the south, often leaving North Idaho feeling like an afterthought. Posters on the Vandal site refer to Boise as the COU, Center of the Universe, and we think Boise people believe it really is the COU. Vandals believe our University of Idaho, the land grant and premier research institution of the state, has been de-emphasized in favor of BSU.

I don't think Hawkins hates the University of Idaho. I suspect he's indifferent. When I started at Idaho in '94 we were ascendant and had beaten BSU for years. Those days are long gone, and Hawkins was a huge part of Boise's rise. I think the Vandals were no more than a speed bump to him, so why would he hate Idaho?
  • AggieFinn
    Another note I found interesting is the commentary from Idaho was that their "lines" need the most work...this is the University that spawned Tom Cable, one of the best OL coaches in the NFL...which breaks my heart to think that at least one or two Vandal offensive lineman aren't getting drafted every other year.
  • TatCChris
    That's not good for us. Though isnt your backup still pretty fire
  • CA Forever
    Apparently freshman Miles Hastings took Hunter to wire for the starting role before the season started, but he obviously lacks a lot of experience. He commanded the drive down the field to beat Weber. It was actually Trent Tompkins who carried the touchdown in who will probably also get some snaps behind center, but he's more of a gadget do all kind of guy.
  • TatCChris
    Tom Cable killed our program and got fired from Seattle as O-line coach. Tom Cable is not a good coach.

Great person (except that one time in Oakland)

Idaho had coaches with winning overall records since 1981. in that time won 7 conference Titles (6 FCS, 1 FBS) had been ranked #1 6 times. 12 post season appearances (11 FCS 1 FBS) only 1 losing season in that time. Tom Cable took over a winning program and never had a winning season and went 11-35
  • TatCChris
    Also to the BSU thing. We Hate/Distain the Donkeys in the COU. Idaho aggie stated it up pretty well. We were the big program for years and the academic school in the state. The instant our program began to stink (see above message about cable) it unfortunately coincided with Riverside Techs rise in football. The State starting taking our money to fund them and all of this has made a already pretty big rivalry pretty bitter. Heck they havent played in Football since 2010 or mens basketball since 2013, and both sides still hate/distain one another. Hawkins was the coach at this time.

I have talked to Hawk at media days... our fanbase just fantasizes that he hates us. He actually is quite fond of us and was actually interested in the opening in 2013 opening (where we hired Paul Petrino).
  • BlueGoldAg
    More infö regarding Hunter Rodriques injury:

Aggie quarterback Hunter Rodrigues left the game late in the fourth quarter with what has been determined to be a concussion, leaving his status for Saturday’s home game against Idaho in question.

“He’s progressing well,” Hawkins said of Rodrigues. “He’s doing great, he’s feeling great, he’s out running, so we’ll see. We’re being extra cautious. It makes me proud of our great medical staff. We don’t mess around with a head injury. That’s not a dislocated pinkie we’re dealing with.”

In Rodrigues’ absence, Miles Hastings led the Aggies on the winning touchdown drive that culminated with a 1-yard touchdown run by Trent Tompkins with 27 seconds left.

Noted Tompkins, “We have all the confidence in the world in Miles. He prepares like no other. All the quarterbacks are good friends and we’re all supporting each other.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/impressive-win-moves-aggies-up-in-poll/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=b7322e16ca-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-b7322e16ca-171004309
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!