• agalum
    Back in the day my roommates and I carved the Krebs cycle onto one of the wooden tables. Back then they allowed carvings on the tables
  • movielover
    I thought they were bringing the Pub back to the MU area ... $35 Million spent, another lost opportunity.

There was an old dive bar in downtown near the train station, on the same street as Woodstocks Pizza ... don't think I ever made it in there ... The Saloon?
  • AggieFinn
    Now you've got:
    Wunderbar (G Street Pub)
    De Vere's (great place)
    Ket Mo Ree
    Froggy's

Little Prague is gone too
  • movielover
    Long gone ...

Larry Blakes
    Mr. B's
    The Pub
    The Grad
  • 72Aggie

McArthur Park
    Antique Bizarre
    Wooden Ships

Some "dive bar" on G, probably the same one you mentioned earlier, but I can't recall the name either.

Another bar and restaurant across the street near Davis Hardware, whose name I cannot recall which is sad because I worked there one summer....

Back when I was at Davis there were three hard liquor ABC licenses...Larry Blake's which was a college place and decent restaurant, Mr. B's which was towns people though developing a college crowd, and Honorable G's which was basically a Chinese restaurant and I have no idea if anyone ever went there for just a drink.

Before The Grad there was Jekyll & Hyde's.
  • DrMike
    I thought i heard that Sudwerk's is bringing back the restuarant. I like Burgers and Brew (its helps me remember what i had for lunch if anyone asks me), and the University of Beer is good (you can get Thai food delivered there). I'll miss the Grad. Stopped there prior to basketball games, and most times i was up in Davis for something other than a football game.
  • movielover
    My appetite isn't what it was, and I don't think I even knew what Tums was back then.
  • abridge
    I'm remembering that large round thingie with what were most definitely breasts on the outer periphery.
  • fugawe09
    I remember they used to occasionally push the tables together into a runway and have an all-male revue. Had a roommate who kept “accidentally” going for a burger on those nights.
  • BlueGoldAg
    From an Enterprise article:

In what he called the “hardest post ever,” owner Charlie Swanson made a public Facebook announcement on June 7. “The Grad’s guaranteed last day (in our current location) will be June 30th. Thanks to all … of the amazing people that made a simple bar and grill special.” He acknowledged loyal customers who became lifelong friends and connections, and hard-working employees who endured low pay while serving the community and having some fun.

“Since 1972, we have done our best to be a reflection of our community,” he wrote. “Well, I can’t really write much more except thanks to all who have supported us so much. … I am not sure what the future will bring but we gave it a hell of a run.”

The Davis Graduate is at 805 Russell Blvd. in University Mall. The sprawling sports bar, restaurant and dance venue fills 7,500 square feet, which is vast by today’s standards. The restaurant and sports bar includes a game area. Once part of a franchise that had locations in Chico, Sacramento and Stockton, the Davis store is independently owned. Chico and Sacramento Grads are long gone; Stockton’s remains open.

Swanson did not return my messages when I sought to clarify possible future plans. A staff member told me Swanson didn’t want to talk about anything, and was headed out of town for a family member’s graduation. He has not sold the liquor license, however.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/business/the-grad-concluding-its-tenure-at-university-mall/
  • movielover
    I wonder if The Grad will have a Closing Sale?

Or could they move to the building downtown where Blondie's closed, or Sudwerk's Restaurant?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Hometown Chinese is in the Blondies/Little Prague building now, and the Blondies owners are still running the bar in the other half.
  • movielover
    Is Hometown Chinese the place that started in a gas station?
  • Russ Bowlus
    They started out on Lake, next to Lamppost, and then moved to the Chevron on Richards, then to the Mansion, and now the Little Prague building. :smile:
  • AggieFinn
    Last day today.

I said my goodbyes the past couple of weeks while working in town. Going to feel very different with it gone.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Went in for lunch today with the family. Wasn't particularly crowded, and they were running a reduced menu. Video games and a bunch of the teevs were already gone.
  • movielover
    The location was key. Would it work in the Sudwerk's location?
  • 69aggie
    Is this new student housing or not? Probably not, It’s likely an upscale senior living community. You can see this trend all over the country. Seniors want to live in college towns. Not just the college towns they went to, but just “a college town”. Why? The activities, the students, the youthful ness, the activities, the sense of being somewhere significant, and generally, they are very nice places to live. Which is now also Davis, California. Didn’t you see all the big new development proposed for around the Sutter West Hospital. The expansion of University Retirement Community is very well on its way to getting done. Hey, i would apply.probably not get in. The costs are very expensive. These tend to be very wealthy people.
  • Russ Bowlus
    From the project description on file with the City of Davis (bolding mine):
    Residential Uses. Redevelopment of the site will introduce four levels of multi-family residential units over parking and retail to create a vertically mixed-use project. The project proposes 264 multi-family residential units. The units will consist of one, two, four, and five-bedroom units ranging in size from 700 SF to 1,800 SF with an average unit size of 1,124 SF, and the total bed count may total 894 beds. The area of the residential portion of the project would be approximately 412,500 SF and a density of approximately 32 units per acre. Residential buildings would be a Type III construction.

Due to the immediate proximity to the University of Davis campus, the residential is primarily focused on student use, but will also welcome and include many options for non-students as well. The residential units will be arranged around a courtyard with a pool and an outdoor lounge area. Additional amenities will include will include a fitness room, extensive bike storage, a bike repair station, rooftop terrace and resident services.
  • 69aggie
    Well, when we see the average rents we will actually know. For now I am skeptical that this is “primarily a student residential project”.
  • True Blue Aggie
    Wonder if they considered relocating to the Whole Foods location at The Commons. Big space . . . has kitchen facilities . . . ample parking . . . easy draw for the dance/party crowd since its downtown . . .

Just spitballin', but seems like an ideal fit.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Amazon still holds the lease on that space.

Ample parking: :lol:
  • 69aggie
    I wondered the same thing but probably it is a very pricey location for what is basically a sports bar. It is in a prime location and a valuable asset for Amazon to keep hold of (which they apparently are). God knows that Amazon is not hurting for cash so maybe a deal could be worked out. Brand it : ”The Amazon Ballroom.’” OK I’m a little nostalgically impaired at this point. Please give slack. . .
  • Zander
    Yes and no. I bet it will be relatively expensive on a per-unit basis but that doesn't mean it won't be filled up with students sharing rooms.

Also, based on my experience at SDSU (which has a ton of newer developments like these around campus), out of state and international students are prime candidates for luxury student housing. They're obviously coming in with a very different target for how much they're willing to pay for college, plus they could be bankrolled by outside scholarships or employers.
  • movielover
    I thought I read rents in West Village were $1100 or $1300 a month?
  • True Blue Aggie
    :lol: True. "ample parking" was generous. So, there's parking , and we'll leave it at that. "Ample" . . . LOL!!
  • Zander
    I poked around on their website and indeed, you can pay $1100 or up to $2000 for a bed depending on how many housemates you want. Sharing a room goes for $760+.

I thought I was looking at whole unit prices for a second; my brain just refused to process that as a Davis rent. My whole unit at the Colleges was $2400 and we split that five ways!
  • movielover
    Any idea how many international students we have now?
  • Russ Bowlus
    About 5200 international undergrads, per the latest UCD stats.
  • fugawe09
    Certainly this will be premium pricing based on proximity to campus and the attached lifestyle restaurants and shopping. They can influence this toward or away from students based on lease terms if they want. There is a market of people who will pay- West Village has a waiting list. Curious if the retail and dining will struggle to fill in like West village. I do see a parking problem here - almost 900 beds but less than 300 parking spaces for residential. The real question is whether this and other projects add enough rental stock to bring prices down out of orbit at existing properties around town through supply and demand.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!