• 72Aggie
    Idaho 28, Eastern Washington 21
    Northern Arizona 34, Southern Utah 33
    Weber State 49. Idaho State 21
  • Riveraggie
    . The Idaho / Eastern game was a very even contest, decided in the last few minutes. Idaho looks pretty good. Their QB is so Immobile it’s painful to watch though.
    .Both that game and the Northern Arizona game had quality streams.
  • CA Forever
    Idaho's quarterback started to pick up a little bit in the 2nd half, but good lord he couldn't have hit the broad side of a barn in the 1st half. I didn't think either Idaho or EWU looked particularly dangerous on offense, but they had guys flying on defense.
  • SloStang
    SUU had a 5 point lead and the ball on about their own 20 with a 4th and 1 with about 1 minute left in the game. Instead of kicking a FG and going up by 8 they went for it and did not convert. NAU was left with about 53 seconds and two timeouts and they march down the field and scores on the last play of the game for the win. Exciting finish.
  • Riveraggie
    NAU had no fans in attendance, the broadcast pair wore masks, were separated by plexiglass and at least one of them had already had his two vaccine shots. Either Arizona is way ahead on vaccinations or sportscasters are essential workers there.

Idaho game had a few thousand fans, including cheerleaders who stood in the stand with about five feet separating them, they could easily have spaced out a lot more. Seems like they were isolating the cheerleaders from the fans more than from each other,
  • CA Forever
    I was watching the game and they didn't have a proper camera angle to really tell from our perspective, but EWU still allowed Idaho to march down and get a touchdown afterwards.
  • fugawe09
    Yeah a lot of Eastern fans are screaming about the refs. The FG was probably a botched call but ultimately irrelevant because it was a 7 point game. The rest of the game the officiating wasn’t perfect but it was consistent and balanced with generous spots and an eye for PI. Eastern’s defensive strategy is holding and PI to the max and they didn’t adapt to refs that are going to nail that. Barriere only put up 14 (7 scored on defense), so despite Idaho having an immobile QB with <.5 pass completion rate, their offense made 2x the trips to the end zone. One poster questioned if they have too many DBs turned WRs who can’t catch.

SUU and NAU were close. EWU and Idaho were close. My guess is a lot of parity between all four but I guess we’ll find out soon enough how we stack up. I’m thinking Weber may be the toughest.
  • Riveraggie
    The field goal call made a huge difference. The touchdown came on a 3rd and 11 play from the 25. With the game tied and in the final minute. There was an element of surprise with the call because the logical play would have been to try to move a little closer and center the ball for a field goal to win . If Eastern had led by 3 they would have been expecting the shot at the end zone as a more likely play.
  • movielover
    There is also the emotion factor, confusion & anger.
  • 72Aggie
    (...or nobody had any confidence in the officials' ability to recognize a field goal when they saw one.....)
  • movielover
    Do we open in Idaho next Saturday?
  • Riveraggie
    The Idaho QB had proclaimed himself the best quarterback in the league before ever playing a down. www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/feb/27/late-touchdown-lifts-idaho-past-eastern-washington/%3famp-content=amp
  • Riveraggie
    league should make sure none of the officials wear glasses. I typically cannot see through my glasses when wearing a mask
    I don’t know if the ref by the goal post wore glasses or not but if not why fiddle with your mask?
  • Riveraggie
    yes, that’s our first game.
    They are pretty good judging by yesterday’s game. I’m glad we don’t have their QB because he’s a statue. He can make deep throws though.It was funny when they ran some option plays and Eastern totally knew he wasn’t going to keep the ball or maybe hoped he would.
    They have athletic receivers, one is a 6’2 215lb guy Hayden Hatten who can make a great catch and another who is powerfully built 6’0 205lb Cutrell Haywood who is pretty dangerous after the catch. They are tough defensively with a pair of touted linebackers. Stout defensive line. Going to be a good test for whoever we play at QB.
    I’m not a fan of all white uniforms but it’s particularly unattractive with mustard helmets. Maybe it’s reminiscent of a potato with butter.
  • fugawe09
    I can relate to fogged glasses. Ski shops sell anti fog treatments but a hack long used by entertainers in full body costumes is a little RainX on the glasses and it works beautifully.
  • movielover
    Inside the glasses?
  • fugawe09
    The stuff from ski shops comes on wipes. It leaves a slight haze but I used it for years on glasses under goggles. RainX leaves some slight speckles but also helps liquid sweat roll off. Learned this from storm troopers. Apply to both sides of lenses. No idea if this voids lens warranty so maybe try it on an older pair of glasses first. FWIW, I had been considering laser surgery for years and finally did it a few months ago. I don’t regret it at all. You might consider it if your doctor thinks you’re a candidate.
  • movielover
    With age, night driving is a new experience. :rage:
  • fugawe09
    agreed. Not sure if it’s our eyes or the LED headlights that so many new cars have. Nothing like getting blinded in all three mirrors at once.
  • AggieFinn
    Coming in late, but here's the full EWU @ Idaho game, judging by EWU's thrashing of NAU today, I'd say they're still the team to beat...and got off to a cold start in Idaho. They are course corrected.

• AggieFinn
    NAU @ EWU

red top circus...cover. your. eyes....ugh

• AggieFinn
    Last week's highlights Weber State @ Idaho State, it's all Wildcat highlights, but they do look very strong once again --- note, the Bengals were really coughing it up:

• NCagalum
    welcome to Tampax field at Roos stadium. Arghh is right.
  • AggieFinn
    The last second Lumberjack grab to beat the Thunderbirds in Flagstaff (last week):

• agalum
    SUU handles SLO 34-24. Did anybody watch the game?
  • NCagalum
    I watched a bit. Poly defense was stinking up the joint in first half. Of course their defense has not been good the past couple years. Didn’t see second half.
  • NCagalum
    Of course eastern Washington defense is a bit suspect too. Idaho State has 42 mid 4th quarter.
  • agalum

Yeah, but their O looks legit. Barrier can really make it happen.
  • NCagalum
    barrier yes. Without him they would be hurting. I just don’t think EWU is the team they were a couple of weeks ago. Barrier can be a magician, but he can’t do everything.

The isu-EWU game is classic big sky. All offense and no defense.
  • SloStang
    CP defense better in the 2nd half. Held SUU to 3 points. It showed that SUU had two games under their belt and Cal Poly had none. I don’t think there will be many wins this spring for the Mustangs, but I still feel great about the future of the Mustangs under Baldwin.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!