• DrMike
    what’s the place that looks like a national park lodge, I think on G? They had a couple there.
  • Riveraggie
    From the Tulsa team site https://tulsahurricane.com/news/2021/8/29/football-tulsas-montgomery-excited-its-game-week.aspx
    Pretty accurate summary of us by Coach Montgomery, but he wouldn’t mention anything bad if he saw it. I thought we lost two starters in Airey and Richardson, but Lamson started the last three games, perhaps because Richardson was known to be moving on. We also lost Crawford for this game at least.
    Some of Tulsa’s players are reportedly going to be suspended due to the brawl with Mississippi State, and two cornerbacks transferred. We’re taking 70 players according to Hawkins, so maybe we will be somewhat closer to matching their depth. Let’s hope coach Montgomery is right about the tackling.

The Aggies, who played a 5-game spring season, return an astounding 81 lettermen and 21 of 22 starters.

"Cal Davis is a really, really good football team. They're extremely well coached. I have a lot of respect for Dan Hawkins. Look where he's been and what he's done, this team is following suit with that," said Montgomery. "They play extremely aggressive defensively and do a great job of tackling in space. Offensively, they're innovative. They have motion involved, a lot of different formations. They're going to run it and throw it."

"They have talent and experienced talent on both sides of the ball and in special teams. It will be a great early test for us. Glad we're getting to play at home," added Montgomery.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I think that’s Parkside bar. It’s changed styles a couple of times but has the lodge thing going now. I haven’t been over there yet but may try to soon. I checked their website and it doesn’t say anything about a viewing party but they may have the game on.
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the Davis Enterprise:

As he prepares his UC Davis football team for its season opener at the University of Tulsa on Thursday, Aggie head coach Dan Hawkins said this may be his best outfit since he took over the program in 2017.

“Top to bottom, I think it is,” Hawkins said. “Every coach has concerns at this time of year. What’s your Achilles heel? Injuries can always play a big part and that reality can keep you up at night.”

Hawkins shared more thoughts going into Thursday’s opener.

“But we are really solid everywhere and our guys will always play hard and play fundamentally sound football,” Hawkins said. “Our goal is to be great over the long haul, play our style of football and be the best version of ourselves that we can be. When you do that, everything else will take care of itself.”

The Aggies regularly open the season on the road against an FCS opponent, a mixed bag, according to Hawkins.

“Financially, it’s what we have to do to pay the bills,” Hawkins said. “But it’s also a good thing to spread the institution of UC Davis around the country and go to new places where we haven’t been before. I’m really in favor of that sort of thing. It’s always good to reach out and play these teams.”

The Aggies, who have never played in Oklahoma before, will receive $400,000 guarantee from Tulsa, which plays in 30,000-seat Chapman Stadium on campus.

That’s in addition to the $750,000 check from USC for a previously scheduled game for this weekend that the Trojans scrubbed. Chump change for USC, but pure gold for the Aggies.

More here: https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/uc-davis-football-ready-for-opener/
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bob Dunning's prediction:

AGGIES over TULSA … this, from one of those “reputable” betting services: “The Tulsa Golden Hurricane will be too much for the UC Davis Aggies on both sides of the ball. Tulsa’s offense will grind out plenty of yardage and UC Davis will have a hard time moving the ball against a tough Tulsa defense. Tulsa Golden Hurricane wins, 41-0.” We shall see what we shall see. Take the Aggies by 4.

More Dunning predictions here: https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bobs-football-picks/
  • movielover
    Didn't that take over from the controversial pizza place / bar - Blondies, formerly Little Prague?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yes exactly. Not sure why it's had a hard time finding a style that works. Maybe the national park motif will get people in the door consistently
  • MTBAggie
    Clearly the news is getting out there how good the Aggies are. Last week, ESPN's Matchup Predictor gave Davis a 6.0% chance of winning. Today, 6.1% ;-)
  • BlueGoldAg
    I love being an underdog...maybe we'll sneak up on them taking us lightly...
  • agalum
    Talking predictions - i think we keep it close during the first half then start wearing down during the second. High humidity and 90’ heat is tough. But i guess both teams are in the same pressure cooker.
  • Riveraggie
    Tulsa seems to be constructed in a way that makes it hard for them to be upset by an FCS team
    Their 3-3-5 defense makes teams work put together a drive and their run oriented offense will be tough on lesser teams. We can beat teams like Tulsa. but have to catch them when they’re having an off year. Tulsa isn’t. So my guess is Tulsa 31, Davis 17. That said, we don’t really have a read on our offense yet, with the new QBs, . It will be interesting if we can run successfully against their defense.
  • agalum
    And it’s gameday! Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    Line in the paper today show 20 1/2 underdog (I’ve never seen a FBS/FCS listed before - sign of the changing gambling landscape). EWU is +4 at UNLV. Upset special. Rebels stink
  • quadshock
    Go Ags! Guess I have to buy ESPN+ to prove I'm a good fan
  • CA Forever
    Tulsa is a good team. I think our chances of winning are pretty slim, but I'm just excited to have college football season back. GO AGS!
  • AggieFinn
    Game Day baby, let's Go Aggies
  • BlueGoldAg
    Anyone in Tulsa for the game today?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    My son is there. He's interning with the team this fall so he'll be on the sidelines.
  • movielover
    Turnovers the key. We had a shot early with Berkeley but didn't capitalize. They had a freak athlete, I think 6'5", at LB or rush that I believe overwhelmed our offense.

Q1 Pick 6 would be nice.
  • NCagalum
    win the turnover battle and being able to run will be key to keeping them in the game
  • agalum
    This showed up on FB as an option to stream the game. Seems sort of strange as it appears to bypass espn.
    https://fb.me/e/2rQgK8l1N
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Not much of a locker room for an FBS team

• agalum
    “Lets get ready to rumble.”
  • NCagalum
    Espn3 not going yet?
  • quadshock
    ESPN+ has been going
  • quadshock
    WOW what a drive
  • CA Forever
    Wow! Offense looked poised and effective!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!