• agalum
    They did something like the alumni stampede at men’s bb. It might have been team aggie members going out on the court. Maybe have “walker races,” lol.
  • DrMike
    I was watching the replay on ESPN+. Broadcast was good. Two Scott’s work well together. Forgot how many short fields we had after long returns or INT; many that we couldn’t get into the end zone. Pass offense was just off all night.

I didn’t make it to the end. Hit the return button instead of rewind twice, and when you start up, it starts from scratch. FF on ESPN+ seems clunky - kind of guessing how far to go.
  • DrMike
    I was part of that; they had us come down to court side from the upper level and that was a little scary. No handrails and some of the steps are kind of high. I joked with the staffer organizing that she was risking wiping out a bulk of our donor pool. ‘Is you resume up to date?’ I think she saw her career going up in smoke!
  • Zander
    They made it an orientation event and combined it with artificial scarcity (not only with mobile ticketing and "sellout" terminology, but also asking the sophomores to show up two hours early thereby turning it into a can't-miss "EVENT".

I think we'll see a bit of that carrying over to Idaho given the good atmosphere, Aggie win, and first-year stampede coming up. Not sure if the momentum will totally sustain but I'd expect the Sac State game to be bonkers, especially if the title is on the line.

Didn't connect the dots that that was Livingston on the sideline mic. He was pretty good. I did notice the PA seemed a little dry but didn't think much of it. Definitely feels like the game announcer could use more energy.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Quotes from Hawk:

“I like to start fast and finish strong,” said Hawkins.

“That was magic in the stadium,” said the Aggie coach. “I want our guys to take stock of what happened and appreciate all that and then go back to work. To be honest, we’re not surprised we’re 3-0, but even if we were 1-2, our job and our focus would be the same. The culture here is great and every week we just want to be the best version of ourselves.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/uc-davis-football-off-to-a-fast-start/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=49add62c83-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-49add62c83-171004309
  • eastbayaggie
    I think there we made five interceptions in this game. What's the UCD record?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Single game record is 7 (vs Santa Clara in 1977), according to the press guide.
  • Zander
    I'm sure it was an error but it's funny to think of this paragraph as throwing incredible shade on UNLV:

This was the Big Sky’s third victory this season over an FBS school, following UCD’s 19-7 win over Tulsa, and Montana’s 13-7 stunner over Washington. — Bob
  • Riveraggie
    A small complaint
    I wish Scott Marsh would stop calling fly sweep or jet sweep “end around” I know he has to call the play live and doesn’t have time to think about it, but the difference is on the fly sweep the hand off is to a guy in motion before the snap, and the snap takes place when the wide receiver or slot back gets in the vicinity of the QB. With our offense it’s just a basic play. An end around would be a rarer play.
    If I had been listening to radio I would have been thinking what’s with all these end arounds?
    Also he’s got this idea of the direct snap to a runner as being a “package” even when it’s run with regular personnel like on the first drive where Larison took a direct snap after Rodrigues moved out to a flanker position. There was no special “package” that was the beauty of it.
  • Zander
    I wondered about some of this, this was really informative.

I'm surprised our announcers don't call the fly sweep what it is considering it's a whole (admittedly rare) scheme that Hawk hired the staff to run, but then I also have to remember that even journalists don't dissect things as much as this forum does daily

Technically speaking isn't a direct snap a "formation" (Wildcat) -- I can kind of understand the blurring to call it a "package" but my understanding was absolutely the same that that implies specific personnel
  • Riveraggie
    Take this with a grain of salt, I’m not a football expert, but I’ve watched a game at the Holiday Inn.
    Fly sweeps have become commonplace, what’s rarer is for teams to commit to it, so that motion is part of virtually every play. Then the motion of the fly guy is the threat is always there, and other plays success is partially attributable to the defense having to defend against the threat of the fly guy getting the ball.
    An analogy is in the wishbone offense the base play is the dive of the fullback, which either occurs or is faked virtually every play.
    Our team is a multiple offense team, among other things we run fly offense plays.
    Wildcat means various things. Initially it was run with an unbalanced line, with a running back behind center, and the running back took the snap. There was often fly motion involved in the play. In that case it’s easy to identify by formation.
    Now you often see it run from a balanced line, and formation wise it’s not that distinctive. We used to substitute the quarterback, and now sometimes we do sometimes we don’t. Sometimes we have the QB just move from behind center prior to the snap, and use the same personnel, usually with two tight ends which we can run other plays with.
    With TT, it gets more confusing. He may run out of any of our formations, planned or unplanned. If it’s a planned run with run blocking of the line and no pass deception, it’s fair to call it a wildcat play.if anyone has noticed something in our wildcat formation that defines it as wildcat, please chime in.
156789Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!