• Russ Bowlus
    Athletics just announced that Saturday's game vs Irvine has been cancelled due to Irvine not having enough players.

Irvine fans over at the Big West boards have been commenting on injuries all season, so I imagine that's what the issue is.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Seems strange that the game is being declared a no contest. Feels like we should get the forfeiture win.
  • movielover
    Why don't they call up jv players?
  • AggieFinn2
    Considering how badly UCI clobbered UCD last time out I'll take a non-loss.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree, you would think that would definitely be a forfeiture.
  • Russ Bowlus
    NCAAW rulebook: "Art. 7. A “no contest” is when a team does not appear at the game site because
    of inclement weather, an accident, vehicle breakdown, illness, or catastrophic
    cause."

I guess that's why it's a "no contest" instead of a "forfeit."

There's some additional language about "failing to fulfill a contract" not being allowed to be counted as a forfeit. The root of the language choice seems to be whether officials were on site and started the game. If so--forfeit. If not, then no game occurred = no contest.
  • Russ Bowlus
    One of the Irvine fans found the minimum squad size, per the Big West: "In the event of an issue beyond the control of the institution, a team shall be expected to honor a scheduled contest if it can field a starting line-up and a suitable number of reserves for that particular sport. A suitable number of reserves in the sport of basketball shall be three players"

I think they were down to 6 or 7 after last week's games.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Thanks Russ. I wonder when their injured players (or a subset) will be healthy?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Sometime before they have to worry about minimum numbers of games, I hope!
  • abridge
    It's odd that Arizona (State??) had to forfeit games because "they couldn't put enough scholarship players on court". This year!

So I don't understand. Maybe it's a Pac12 thing?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!