• BlueGoldAg
    The “no call” interference on the north west endzone where the suu defender pushed our receiver from behind likely would have been a TD.agalum

We sit in section 124 and we could see that play up close and the pass interference occurred right in front of the side judge. It was so obvious that it was unbelievable that the ref didn't throw the flag. I just watched the first half of the TV broadcast and, yep, it was blatant PI. Horrible no-call.
  • movielover
    Miracle Game: So you saw the last TD, but not the 2-point conversion?

Offense: we lost Thorpe, Castles, and Gilliam.
  • NCagalum
    totally agree. DBs were playlng way off the receivers and I think in a zone defense so easy as pie to complete 10 yarders at will. Defense was great for 3 quarters then got too soft IMO. It’s ok to do this if you are up 3 scores and late in game.
  • NCagalum
    Agree to all your thoughts. We seem to need a tall, speedy, or at least speedy wide out. We have good short distance receivers, but seem to lack a real go to guy for deeper passes. SUU defensive line was very stout against the run. I think better than most big sky teams.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I just finished watching the TV replay of the game and you do really see the game differently than watching the game in the stadium. The TV coverage was excellent and Scott Marsh and Scott Gordon did a great job of calling the game. Gordon knows his football his comments after each play are very interesting and really adds to the commentary.

This was a very, hard fought, physical football game by two pretty good football teams. Here are a few things that stood out for me:

- I thought Hastings had a good game especially given the fact that he was running away from pressure most of the night and throwing on the run most of the time.
    - We've got some fast, hard hitting LB's and DB's. Rex Connors is one of the best we've ever had.
    - Larison is a very talented RB and he's a threat every time he touches the ball. Losing Gilliam was big but Larison is up to the task of filling those big shoes.
    - Tompkins and Hutton are tough as nails and made some tough catches. Josh Gale and Andre Crump are doing a great job also.
    - Ridley Hunter is 5 for 5 now in FG's.

I thought there were a couple of glaring missed calls by the officials:
    1. The no-call on the obvious PI in the first half right in front of the official when the SUU DB pushed the Aggies receiver to the ground from behind.
    2. The egregious face mask by SUU's WR Wooden on the 66 yard TD pass late in the 4th quarter. Rex Connors caught up to him and, as Wooden tried to stiff arm Connors, he grabbed Connors' face mask and whipped him to the ground at about the Aggie 25. It should have be a 15 yard face mask penalty that would have taken the ball back to the Aggie 40 or so. That was a huge missed call!

All in all, this was a good win for the Aggies over a very tough FCS team.
  • 69aggie
    I agree but it was a hard game to watch. Stomach churning game. Glad we got the win.
  • AggieFinn
    Wonder what the status on Main is.
  • AggieFinn
    Wally The Bronco Too hooks up the internet for Davis fans:

I didn't realize the SUU quarterback is 25 years old.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Main's injury didn't look good. He got rolled up and his left leg got hit hard from the left side and it bent inward. I hope it isn't as bad as it looked.

There were 3 other Aggies on the sideline with leg injuries and wearing a boot. I'm not sure who they were but we've certainly sustained a few leg injuries already.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    At least Main was putting weight on his leg, after spending time in the tent. Hopefully it's something that he can come back from this season.
  • Riveraggie
    Chubba had a dominant series in the third quarter when he got mad after getting called for a facemask. Chubba needs to find a way to be pissed off more often.
    Porter Connors was back as a linebacker, and had a great series there. He appeared to me to be playing middle linebacker. They play linebackers in multiple positions, i wonder how they do that with different coaches for inside and outside linebackers.
    Nick Eaton and Da’Von Frazier both listed the “Rush” position in the depth chart, but they were both in there together a lot.
    It is surprising how many plays the “backups” are in on defense when the game is still undecided.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It is surprising how many plays the “backups” are in on defense when the game is still undecided.Riveraggie

That tells me that they believe that we've got a lot of good depth at those positions and it gives the "starters" a respite and helps keep them fresh.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was thinking some more about the two big, missed calls by the refs that actually had a big impact on the game: the no call on the obvious PI deep in SUU territory in the first half right in front of the side judge and the missed face mask call when SUU's Wooden whipped Rex Connors to the ground on their 66 yard TD late in the game. Luckily, we managed to squeak by with a 2 point win. I know stuff gets missed in every game and that's just part of the game that teams just have to roll with but those two missed calls were so obvious that it hard to see how they got missed. I wonder why Hawk didn't use a challenge on either of those plays?

Is there any form of performance review for the Big Sky refs so they can see where they made mistakes and, hopefully, not repeat them again in future games?
  • agalum

Hopefully they were “honest” mistakes and not willfully ignored by the line judge(s). I can think back about a few calls during various causeways that i thought were home town calls. Do they use local refs or are they league assigned from out of town?
  • 69aggie
    Chris Carter anyone? Biggest homey call ever.
  • BlueGoldAg
    That call was so bad that it's burned into the memory of every Aggie fan who saw it happen...ended the game for us against our arch rival...
  • BlueGoldAg
    SUU Head Coach DeLane Fitzgerald:

"Our offense slept-walked through the first 40 minutes of the game and after that, we decided we were going to play hard and do some things well… These young men are playing hard but just not doing enough to get the win, and I have said that more than I want to this season. "

"I thought we were tight and flat on offense but we played really well on defense and we put our defense in some tough situations and they stepped up."

"We need to execute and play a little more freely on offense, defense, and special teams."

"Our goals for this season are still in play, we can still go undefeated at home and if we can beat all of the teams from the former WAC conference then we can still have a chance to win the conference and play for a playoff spot."

https://suutbirds.com/news/2023/9/17/football-spectacular-southern-utah-comeback-falls-just-short-aggies-edge-t-birds-23-21-in-thrilling-california-clash.aspx
  • AggieFinn2
    What a pretentious blowhard that coach comes off as. "We decided we were going to play hard and do some things well." Who's we, and how many receptions did you have, coach ?
  • SochorField
    "Our offense slept-walked through the first 40 minutes of the game and after that, we decided we were going to play hard and do some things wellBlueGoldAg

lol gotta love a coach who thinks his team should have won. But sorry dude, your offense was dominated by a solid defense. Your offense started having success when Davis started playing prevent D. Also, QB1 bounced about 7 passes....should maybe check that out. There is something to be said for giving the other guys a little credit for a well played game on D.

I like Hawkins' comparison of Lan to CMC. He is definitely that player to this team.
  • Riveraggie

Coaches take the attitude after a loss that winning or losing was controlled by their team, that is the only half of the equation they have control of. The time to complement the opponent is before the game to make beating them more impressive.
  • NCagalum
    TV crew said Kraft was injured. He may have been one of them. I really like Kraft as a receiver but unfortunately he has been injured most of his career at Davis. Perez was also out due to injury.
  • Toke69
    No, I was leaving as Biggs threw for the first TD and then missed the 2-pt conversion, the onside kick, etc. When I got back to campus my friends first said how lucky I was and when I said “What do you mean?” They laughed at me.
  • Toke69
    The tv come commentator noted the missed call on that face mask penalty. It was very onvious.
  • NCagalum
    in his weekly show, the SUU head coach made a point to say that the refs were “their” refs and they had 3 bad calls against them. Made excuses etc. and gave no credit to UCD. His verbal delivery makes him sound like he thinks he needs to be forceful - kind of comes off as a jerk in my opinion. Maybe he and Hauck can compare notes.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!