• MarktheBronco
    The idiots at Boise State just fired their Head Football Coach, Andy Avalos, following a victory over New Mexico last night. I have the feeling administration will look hard at Brent Vigen, at Montana State, and possibly Jason Eck, at U. of Idaho (doubt they will have much interest in him since he is at Idaho). But I would love to have Coach Hawk back in Boise. Hawk has a vacation home in the area and travels to Boise regularly. He was interested in the job when Boise State hired Coach Avalos. I really dislike stealing head coaches, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawk has a vacation home in the area and travels to Boise regularly. He was interested in the job when Boise State hired Coach Avalos. I really dislike stealing head coaches, but you gotta do what you gotta do.MarktheBronco

I know Hawk loves the Boise area but I think his heart is in Davis now and it will probably be the place that ends his career some day. I remember his comments when he was hired here. He said it was like coming full circle and coming back home. I could certainly be wrong but I would be surprised if he left now for a another head coaching job that would most certainly bring on much more stress and pressure into his life than he has as the head coach at Davis currently.
  • Riveraggie
    Reasons they might not be wise to:
    Dan Hawkins has been at Davis for 7 years, and in that time has never beat a top 10 ranked team has defeated only three teams ranked in the top 20, Idaho twice and Weber in 2021 right after Weber lost its QB, never beat conference rivals Montana State and Eastern Washington. At the same time Davis has been upset multiple times when it has been ranked. So at the FCS level Hawkins record isn’t stellar.
    Dan Hawkins teams are as good as his coordinators, Dan supplies a vision. Unless Dan can bring some coordinators with him it would be a mistake, and the coordinators at Davis aren’t ready for that level, they had a bad year.
  • movielover
    How in the heck did he ever land Coach Foster early in his career?
  • AggieFinn2
    To be fair Hawkins would be able to get better recruits with Boise State. The looser academic requirements would allow for a wider search. Not to mention that Boise State being in Boise isn't that much of a recruiting impediment when recruits get to see the kinds of crowds that will appreciate them
  • Riveraggie
    [ Foster was a coach at Davis when Hawkins played there.
  • Riveraggie
    They are a long way from Lake Tahoe and the Golden Gate Bridge, the Davis local attractions.
    The Davis is tough to qualify excuse doesn’t hold up like it used to. Need a B average at a time that a B average is average. If your counselor got you to take the right classes you more than likely qualify,
  • SochorField
    FBS salary might be enough to get someone to move their little heart a few states away.....:sweat:

I'm not sure Hawk has done enough at Davis to get that call though. Troy Taylor got out while the gettin' was good @ Sac. Hawk has been mediocre the fast few seasons.

Honestly, I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to be a head coach in any sport at Davis.
  • agalum
    This might be a naive question, but how much decision making occurs by the HC during a game? There’s an OC, DC, special teams, etc. Are the coordinators calling the shots? Watching Troy Taylor, it was clear to me that he was calling the offense side. You could see him studying his play book during the game and I assume planning plays. I don’t see Hawk doing that, although maybe he’s got the playbook in his head. It seems that Hawk’s decision making is on his hires and then is directing traffic during the game? Is he influencing game plays?
  • NCagalum
    I think Hawk’s main contribution is when to go for it on fourth, field goal, punt, etc. Perhaps strategizing with OC and DC during halftime.

Taylor was OC and play caller at sac and I think still is at Stanford. Lincoln Riley calls plays at USC. I think both Plough and son Hawkins were good play callers as former QBs and students of the game.

So I think Hawk is fairly hands off during the game although he did wear a headset at NAU and ISU so ostensibly he’s talking to someone.
  • Toke69
    I'm pretty sure that Dan Hawkins put Boise State football on the map with his 53-11 record in the WAC and three top 25 finishes before handing the reins to Chris Peterson. At the time, the WAC was roughly what the Mountain West is now, so the level of competition was a step tougher than the Big Sky. I guess his success had a bit to do with Boise State's softer admission standards, but I can't imagine that back inn 2000, many quality players were enticed to go there, so Hawk must have done some great coaching against a harder schedule, so my question is: What happened to him at UC Davis?
  • 69aggie
    I think that UC Davis is a very tough school to recruit to mostly because of its reputation for being so academically strenuous. My daughter spent a year at sac city before transferring to UC Davis. Her counselor at sac city actually told her that davis was a very tough school as much so as Berkeley and to reconsider her decision. I realize we have the “special admits” thing going, but I have my doubts that we are using it efficiently. The academic senate has all along been very critical about its use. So, Insofar as the big sky is concerned, we are at a significant disadvantage recruiting against our conference foes and i don’t think Hawk is in any way to blame for it. On a positive note, it does seem we are now getting more 3 star guys now. Have no idea why.
  • Riveraggie

I think you are living in the past, when all applicants submitted SAT scores, now the academic requirements are just GPA, and completing 15 academic courses. Its not like the old days when to get into UC schools you were essentially in the top 1/8th of students, now its maybe the top half since a B is an average grade and a student is UC eligible with a 3.0. I know athletes weren’t held to a particularily high SAT, but now if they have poor scores no one knows.
    The fact that some athletes don’t qualify is offset by the fact that some athletes don’t like dumb classmates, Smart people want to be around smart people,
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!