• BlueGoldAg
    The battle to stay atop the Big West continues on Saturday at 2 pm when San Diego comes to town. The Ags are currently tied with the Tritons and Irvine for first place. This should be another tough battle between two very good teams.

Live stream on ESPN+ at 2 pm. Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    How’d they improve so much, so fast? 5-13 last year to tied for first. Transfers?
  • agalum
    Cold start.
  • MTBAggie
    Is it just me, why is ESPN+ not showing the score?
  • agalum

I’ve been seeing it. Maybe screen setting?
  • Toke69
    Reflecting on what Bob Williams said, have the Ags been down by 11 in the first half during conference play before?
  • agalum
    Need to do better on the offensive boards.
  • CA Forever
    Ags are right back in it
  • agalum
    And great to see Mani back. We’ve needed another big
  • Toke69
    Ags were only 1 of 8 from the 3-point arc in the first half and dished out only 2 assists to Tritons 9. Still, they mounted a great comeback in the last 12 minutes.
  • Toke69
    Down by 15 now. I've got a bad feeling about this.
  • agalum
    To get away from the score, what is the occasion prompting the coaches to be in suites?
  • Toke69
    Coaches vs. Cancer
  • Toke69
    The last time UC Davis lost by a margin this big? Nov. 5, 2019 vs. Loyal of Chicago, 82-48 and that was at Chicago. The good news is that the Aggies outscored UCSD at the free throw line, 13-9. Seriously, that point underscores that we got outplayed in every facet of the game and not by a little bit. I'm sure glad that these guys won't be in the Big West tournament.
  • abridge
    It hurt to watch UCSD continue to play their starters for up to 5 minutes after Les had pulled the UCD starters. It felt wrong. Let's pump up the stats, I guess. I thought it lacked class.
  • movielover
    13 more rebounds, 14 more points in the paint, and shot nearly 50%, 4 players in double figures.
  • Toke69
    It feels like this loss was a combination of the Tritons playing exceptionally well and the Aggies playing below their usual standards. Every team (even the 49ers) has bad days. Next up is a tough road game at Santa Barbara so I hope this loss does not bleed over into that one.
  • BlueGoldAg
    My wife and I just watched the replay. Wow...what a beat down by the Tritons! They outplayed the Aggies in every phase of the game...no contest whatsoever. I thought it would be a very tough game for the Aggies but I didn't think it would be a complete blowout. It's unfortunate that we had a game like this in front of the largest crowd of the season (2537).

San Diego is impressive. They appear to be a much more balanced team than the Aggies in that they have quite a few players who are offensively talented to the Aggies who depend primarily on Pepper and Johnson for the bulk of the scoring. The Aggie defense has been outstanding most of the time since conference play began but today it didn't bother the Tritons at all. They were dropping 3's, hitting mid-range jumpers, scoring on backdoor cuts, getting offensive boards and and scoring on put backs and tip-ins. It looked like their offense was just a whole lot better than our defense.

Although the Aggies had won 3 straight conference games, all of those games were struggles and now we just suffered our worse loss in 4 years. I hope we don't have a hangover going down to Santa Barbara. The Gauchos are capable of lighting it up when they are playing well. They will definitely play better than they did here in the first game. Right now, I don't see us winning in the Thunderdome.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I've seen all of the Big West teams play this year and I think that San Diego just may be the best overall team in the conference. Their lopsided win over the Aggies was more about them being a very good basketball team than about us not playing well and their only conference loss at Irvine was closer than the final score indicates.
  • BlueGoldAg
    One good thing about this game was that we got to see Jac Mani take the floor for a few minutes. The 3 pointer he made looked smooth and fluid. Having a 6'9 player that sink 3's and play inside as well would be fantastic. Scott Marsh said that Les told him that Mani is the best big man he has ever coached. I can't wait to see him play more.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I had turned it by that time but I did see his stats. I wonder if Les tries to work him into the rotation this season or will we have to wait until next year. And it’d be nice if Jac could get his younger brother to come to Davis. He’s a top end recruit.
  • movielover
    With such high praise, why doesn't he play?
  • BlueGoldAg
    He's been injured for a long time. He appeared in 3 games in the 2022-23 season before got injured and was out for the rest of the season. Then he had got injured in a bike accident prior to this season and has been out until now. Borra was also injured in a bike accident that sidelined him for a long time too. In a game earlier this season, Bob Williams jokingly said that if he was their coach he'd make them ride bikes with 3 wheels from now on.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Verbal Commits and 247 Sports are showing that Jac Mani's brother, Jon, has committed to Denver. It looks like we didn't offer him. He had offers from Cal, Arizona State, Riverside, Cal Poly, Portland, Rice and Montana.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Hopefully Jac doesn’t transfer to play with his brother
  • Toke69
    Not much to go on from Mani's brief presence against UCSD, but I thought he looked shaky. That's understandable given it was his first game, but I agree that the one shot he took looked good. I hope he can also hit the boards and play solid D.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Edit - wrong thread.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Edit - wrong thread.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Edit - wrong thread.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!