• BlueGoldAg
    I'm just a month late to the party!
  • PortlandAggie
    Softball beat Sacramento State today 5-2!
  • aggie6thman
    I feel badly for Slac, I really do.
  • 72Aggie
    Ags swept softball for the first time in 6 years.
  • 72Aggie
    I don't feel bad for them. I recall a long, long time ago when they moved to D1 and D-1AA before the Ags did so, and got a bit of a run going in football, some Slack coach, possibly Mattos, said something like there may come a time when we can't play Davis anymore.

Running score is now 52.5 - 5. Too close for comfort.
  • 72Aggie
    Aggies complete the sweep in gymnastics tonight to bring the running score to 55-5.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Is there a "mercy rule" where they just declare it over?!!
  • 72Aggie
    One Hornet fan already has:

Re: Move from the Big Sky
    Post by josephpoint » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:48 pm

And UC Davis also continues to roll in the Causeway Cup.

Other then a tie in women's soccer and one win in the two match ups in men' soccer Sac State has lost to the Aggies in

Cross Country
    Football
    Men's basketball
    Women's basketball
    Volleyball
    Gymnastics
    Men's tennis
    Women's tennis
    Softball
    and perhaps another sport that I am forgetting.

in the 2016-17 competition .

Can't recall a year like this.

So the 2016-17 Causeway Cup has already been captured by Davis in a run away .

And now it has been years since Sac won the Cup and
    this year was not even competitive like the past few years where we lost it as well by a game here or there.

What has happened?

Sac State has hit rock bottom in the Causeway Cup competition so there is no where to go then up from here.

And there is always next year.

http://www.bigskyfans.com/hornets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2613
  • 72Aggie
    Just a chance encounter in a tournament so there were no Causeway Cup points to be won, but Ags swept Slack in men's tennis this afternoon, 7-0.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Just putting an exclamation point on who the big dog is in the greater Sacramento area!
  • 72Aggie
    Ags win first of two baseball games. Running score is now 57.5 to 5. Next up is a return baseball game a week from today.
  • 72Aggie
    Despite a one hitter, Slack won today's baseball game, 1-0. Running score is now 57.5 to 7.5. A little too close for comfort.

Men's golf finished 5th, two stroke behind Slack, at a tournament in Arizona. Unclear if this counts in the Causeway Cup standings. It has not been there previously, but is now listed, along with 5 possible points, as is the Aggies' own tournament at El Macero later this week.
  • aggie6thman
    We must be finding ways to give them a few charity points.
  • 72Aggie
    As of this moment, the morning of April 14, the Aggie website shows the men’s golf points as being split between the tournament in Arizona earlier this week, where Slack beat UCD by two strokes, and the tournament at El Macero which is being played yesterday and today. The UCD site has yet to be updated for the earlier golf tournament and for Tuesday’s baseball loss, but suggests there are 5 points to be awarded for each golf meet, probably “alternate facts.”

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/ot/Causeway-Cup-1617.html

The CSUS site also shows the two tournaments, but reflects Slack’s victory in Arizona, and awards 2.5 points, which makes more sense.

http://www.hornetsports.com/fan_info/causewaycup/2016-17

On the bright side, after two rounds yesterday the Ags are in second place, 11 strokes ahead of the 9th place Hornets, with one round to be played today. Aggie golfer Ben Corfee is currently tied for first atop the individual results.

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-golf/recaps/041317aaa.html
  • 72Aggie
    Aggie men's golf finished at El Macero in 4th place, 17 strokes ahead of 9th place Slack. Ben Corfee, who grew up next to the El Macero course, was the top overall individual.

Causeway Cup points now at 60-10 with men's and women's track in two weeks.
  • PortlandAggie
    Going down to the wire 8-)
  • 72Aggie
    I have another snarky observation, but don't want to jinx the track team, so I will keep it to myself for now.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    You gotta feel for Sac State, at least they show up :D. Its like the kid who insists the adults play him/her (without going easy on them) and then gets creamed before they cry.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Also, do Slack fans really call their baseball venue "The John"? How appropriate!
  • 72Aggie
    So the 2016 Causeway Cup comes to an end with the track teams splitting a dual meet. The women won, 110-81, and the men lost, 102-89.

Final overall points: UCD 65, CSUS 15.

I referenced a snarky thought earlier....and as luck would have it, my uncharitable thought has come back to bite me, even though it had never been uttered until now. That thought was that not only did the Ags dominate, but (until Sac won the men's track,) the Hornets had not even won a single sport outright. The women tied in soccer and the men split in soccer, golf and baseball.
  • BlueGoldAg
    No matter how you cut it, it's still a thorough beat down! >:)
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags win the 2017 Causeway Cup by 50 points 62.5 - 12.5 which is the largest margin in the 13 year history of the Cup:

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/genrel/051617aaa.html
  • 72Aggie
    Great year for the Ags in the Causeway Cup Competition. (If points were still allotted like they used to be, with 10 points each for football, volleyball and men's and women's basketball, it would have been 82.5 points and a 70 point margin.)
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!