• Bige70
    @agalum, I personally would be very excited at the chance to add someone like Paul Wulff. Yes, he had a bad run as HEAD COACH at Washington State, but he had a hell of a run as HEAD COACH at Eastern Washington. Before he recently joined Sac State, he was with the SF 49ers (with Harbaugh), Iowa State and University of South Florida. This is a big-time coach and would be a great get. Don't judge the man for one season spent with a pre-existing dumpster fire. Plus he's currently an O-Line coach/Offensive Coordinater; we haven't named either of those just yet.
  • movielover
    We should be able to look at how Lawrence and Montreal did, what they ran. ... Willamette claims their staff back together in Davis.

I'd prefer an experienced offensive coach - to compliment Speckman - who can compliment and poke holes in any 'innovative' scheme before we go live. A young Jim Sochor, Troy Taylor?, ... I just don't see a coaches son with 1 year at a junior college having that knowledge or capability. ...or would Young and Foster fit that Bill?

Zander, good question... Is Hawk an offensive mastermind, or a CEO / HC?
  • agalum
    Reasonable comments. And the fact that we have not named the OC yet, is why I put out the link. He's in the neighborhood already. I must admit, I don't know much about him.
  • movielover
    There are some exciting options already here or on the way... an athlete / QB / RB... Imagine Leota occasionally as a FB who can throw... And we have Shepard at WR...
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Regardless of Speckman being the OC, announcing it, not announcing it, dragging their feet, whatever....just about anything is a step forward from what we've watched for the past number of years.
  • NewGuy
    "Make UC Davis Great Again!" Gimmick offense; High School, JC, D3 coaches; son - next up? Surprise, surprise, suprise. Hope the donor money is sustainable.
  • Bige70
    @NewGuy, I think you should read up a bit on Bob Stitt at Montana and the success he (and other major college coaches) have achieved incorporating the fly sweep into their offense. There is a big difference between "gimmick" and "innovation." I am also not sure why you are focusing on Hawk's coaches' most recent stops - look at their full resumes. These are very experienced men who have coached at high levels. We all have a lot of reasons to be optimistic. If we add Paul Wulff as our OC, the circle will be complete (and the rest of the Big Sky will collectively crap their pants).
  • movielover
    +1

All experienced, and with something to prove. Or heck, maybe add Troy Taylor. Go Ags!
  • movielover
    Doesn't Wullff live in Davis?
  • NewGuy
    Montana's pass to run ratio is about 2 to 1 across the board. That's a different incarnation of the Fly Sweep offense than I was envisioning. Hope I'm wrong and you're right!
  • NewGuy
    Mark Helfrich => OC
  • NewGuy
    Well, he passes the litmus test - previously coached w/ Hawk; and could come onboard as, say, an unpaid coach / consultant!? If he doesn't get a comparable "Head Coach" job, he'll get his full buyout money and won't be hurting for cash.
  • CA Forever
    Saw a rumor online that Coach Jerry Brady is being brought onto Hawkins' staff. I don't have confirmation, but it would make sense as he coached in Hawkins' staff for the US national team and played football at Sioux Falls where new defensive coordinator, Robert Tucker, coached.
  • CA Forever
    I wouldn't be opposed to it! I have a hard time seeing it happening, but it would be cool if it did.
  • CA Forever
    It's official. Welcome Coach Jerry Brady to the UC Davis coaching staff. He will be coaching outside linebackers.

https://twitter.com/CoachJerryBrady?lang=en
  • CA Forever
    And another new coach. Welcome Coach Isaiah Jackson!

https://twitter.com/CoachiJACK?lang=en
  • movielover
    OK, tell me about these new additions...
  • CA Forever
    Coach Jerry Brady coached with Coach Robert Tucker at West Hills College and played at Sioux Falls, where Coach Tucker also coached. He was the defensive line coach under Coach Hawkins with the US National Team in 2015.

Coach Isaiah Jackson coached at Sioux Falls, where once again Coach Tucker coached. He coached linebackers under Coach Hawkins with the US National Team in 2015.

All of our coaches have connections to the past.
  • NewGuy
    University of Sioux Falls connection.
  • GunRockFaceMask
    Hi Folks,
    Does anybody have a list of the new coaches and who they're replacing?
    Still no OC? maybe Coach Hawks son?
    Thanks
  • CA Forever
    Speckman updated his twitter profile and it says assistant head coach and running back coach, so I guess still no OC? I would bet money Cody Hawkins ends up on the staff. It looks like Hawk is just reassembling the coaching staff of the US National Team from 2015.
  • Zander
    It speaks volumes about the esteem of international football competition that the staff of the World Cup Champions could be reassembled at a 3-9 college team.
  • CA Forever
    Well... yeah, it's about what you'd expect. Dan Hawkins was clearly the most famous name on that staff...
  • movielover
    Aggies on staff...Hawk and Young?

I don't see newbie Cody Hawkins as an OC, still wet behind the ears...and no grad degree?
  • CA Forever
    But I could see Cody as QB coach which we don't currently have. That was Daft's position who is clearly gone.
  • movielover
    Daft was also OC, FYI.
  • CA Forever
    Yeah I know, but I was just talking about positions that I think Cody Hawkins could have with this team and I don't think QB coach is out of the question. I agree with you that there is no way he should be an OC though.
  • movielover
    Logical... but 1 yr as a HS coach and 1 yr as a JC Coach seems slim. Ironic that Hawk is all about embracing the challenge, go for it, etc. yet Cody and Pops are tied at the hip. ... If it happens, a GA slot might make more sense.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!