• movielover
    Who is your current choice for Head Coach for the Aggies? Who can bring us to the FCS playoffs on a consistent basis?

Edit: Inadvertently left out Bobby Hauck, former Montana head coach, Paul Wulff (EWU and Washington State), and Aggie alum and HC Demario Warren.
    1. Who is your choice? (18 votes)
        Dan Hawkins, alum, success at 2 football programs
        33%
        Rob Ash, former QB, took Montana State to 4 FCS playoff appearances
        11%
        Mike Moroski, alum, HC at College of Idaho
          6%
        Kevin Daft, current OC
          0%
        Troy Taylor, EWU QB coach
        17%
        Bob Foster, Aggie legend, former Head Coach
          0%
        Angus McClure, UCLA Defensive Line Coach
        28%
        Other
          6%
  • movielover
    Other names are welcome in comments.
  • aggie6thman
    I put McClure, but would be happy with Hawkins as well.
  • movielover
    A defensive line / position coach??!! Tell me it isn't so, aggie6thman... too much turkey?
  • aggie6thman
    @movielover And he's a Slac State alum...who knows what I was thinking!
  • BlueGoldAg
    No kidding...could our inflated egos survive a Slac State alum as our head coach? We might need some group therapy to come to peace with that! ;)
  • aggie6thman
    Pre-game group therapy at the AST tailgate tent. I hear there are several very good elixirs that cure all ills. (Y) ;)
  • Zander
    I saw someone mention Mark Johnson, former UCD and Utah State DC in another thread.
  • GunRockFaceMask
    A suggestion to the moderator:
    Consider combining all "lets hire this coach" threads
  • zythe
    Can't we get him an honorary degree?

Fun fact: Angus is my German Shepherds name. I want Hawkins, but would be ok with another position coach that graduated from our most hated rival to potentially give the death knell to our once storied program...
  • Willie Hays
    https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/800780898828304384

Saw this on Angus McClure's Twitter Page... Pretty cool!
  • OldAggie
    To be honest, I'm not totally impressed by any of those on the list. As an Aggie, I'd love to see Aggie connections, but Daft? Holy cow, his play-calling was atrocious. The key problem we've had the past 4 years was the offense not fitting out kids or conference. I like Troy Taylor's offense, but is he really ready to be an HC? There is a lot more to the job than X's and O's. In reality, I think Taylor will make a great OC, and this job is a good stepping stone for him. However, I'd like to see OC or DC level experience at a minimum. Lastly, the pool of applicants should include non-Aggies...like Dr. Blue himself.
  • CA Forever
    I too hope that Dr. Blue casts a wide net on this one. I think that some of the coaches on this list would turn out all right, but we shouldn't be limiting ourselves in this search. I feel like that's how we ended up with Gould, because it was simply convenient for the AD at the time.
  • movielover
    How many months did it take to hire a local unemployed position coach?

We should have some great applicants. Go Aggies I
  • OldAggie
    Agreed, make the right choice. I'd love to see a coach who wants to make this his home, but we know who we are right now and that might not be realistic. The sad thing is I think Gould could have worked out with the right OC. Not saying it all falls on Daft, but I think our defense played well enough over the years to win a lot of games, but we just didn't perform on the offensive side. I want a coach with an aggressive offense that wants to put up lots of points versus a ball control guy. Fingers crossed.
  • CA Forever
    I could get on board with bringing back the high flying offenses that we used to have. I wonder why Gould was never willing to make a change in his coordinators?
  • DrMike
    i think the challange in recreating the high flying offenses that we used to have, is the current NCAA restrictions on practice time. it times alot of time on the field to implement a dozen screen pass packages every week, time that they are no longer allowed. same with the precise downfield progression passing packages; you just don't see offenses like that in college any more. more and more of the 'read-react' run/pass option that we see week-in and week-out in the Big Sky.

I miss the good old days. i DON'T miss the 4 hour long wednesday night practices (or the in-season 2-a-days we had before school started!) that we endured perfecting the offensive schemes of those days.
  • movielover
    Interesting...does anyone know when our players started voluntary self directed summer practices? Last summer was the first time I heard rumor of them. I know summers past where QBs, WRs spent a lot of summertime together. Oline too.
  • CA Forever
    I understand. I wasn't trying to say that we have to go back to the same exact game plan we had in the past, but I would like us to become a pass first team. We never had the personnel to be the run first team Gould wanted us to be.
  • DrMike
    completely agree to that! a power run game is a really difficult approach, unless you have plenty of quality depth. that's a tall order for FCS.
  • aggie6thman
    Not sure if it is possible, but I will look into it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!