• DrMike
    Good for him; he's a Cal guy, so this is a great job for him. I think the feeling was that he was a real up-and-comer, so he would be on the move to a bigger program sooner, rather than later.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Our loss and Cal's gain...
  • CA Forever
    Looks like Cody Hawkins is taking over the role of WR coach.
  • movielover
    Looks like Hawk played his role low key, limited info this year on him.
  • SochorField
    Tough blow to recruiting, I would imagine.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Cody Hawkins has quite a nice resume himself for such a young coach.

Official Aggie news release: http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010818aab.html
  • agalum

I assume this is Coach Hawkins son? If that's the case, it seems it should have been mentioned in the article, just for transparency.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, he is Hawks' son. I think the author of the article must have just taken it for granted that readers would know that. It is a bit surprising, as you noticed, that it wasn't mentioned outright in the article although anyone reading it would clearly surmise the familial connection
  • movielover
    They mentioned it with the Gould's and others.
  • Riveraggie
    I think they are a little defensive about the relationship due to past controversy when Cody was a QB at Colorado playing for his dad.
    I’m sure he’s qualified, but they’re excessively long winded about it in his bio. He’s a young coach who played major college football with a lot of success, in his dads system. That’s a plus. He is intimately familiar with Hawkins the elders coaching philosophy and X and Os. Hopefully he can teach inspire and recruit.
  • movielover
    I agree, our PR too long. He will handle a super talented group of receivers.
  • OldAggie
    Toler is a loss, but we will continue to have ladder climbers go through out system at this level. We just have to recruit good coaches and reload. Why would someone stay at UCD when they see big bucks at the higher level? It won't be the academics...lol.
  • movielover
    The Fresno Bee said the Bulldogs last DC made $300k a year. That probably goes a long way in Fresno.
  • OldAggie
    Goes a long way anywhere, but for sure in Fresno. My son played there this fall, and other than it being in the middle of nowhere, it reminds me a lot of Davis. Flat and hot.
  • BlueGoldAg
    $300,000 will help you secure a loan on a $800,000 2 bedroom, 1 bath fixer upper in the Bay Area... :yikes:
  • OldAggie
    You need a new loan broker.
  • movielover
    I saw an average home for sale for $1 Mill in Castro Valley, standard small plot.
  • OldAggie
    Some Los Gatos homes...$2,000 psf. That's why Stanford houses their coaches for free.
  • movielover
    Not Los Gatos or Palo Alto ... but are we in another bubble?
  • OldAggie
    Depends on the market...I can't imagine the Bay Area can keep it up.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I read where you need to earn at least 6 figures to even think about buying a home in the bay area and better yet if you have two people earning over 6 figures so you can actually have a life outside of your mortgage payment.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Bulldogs DC likely wouldn't be able to buy anything in Yolo County for less than 400,000 and really maybe 600,000 for anything good in Davis or Woodland.
  • movielover
    I've read the current vacancy rate is .2 percent, ideal is 4-5%?

Rumors of homeless students, but never have seen anything in the Davis Enterprise.
  • OldAggie
    We are paying our head coach less than the last DC at Fresno (Hawk's contract is $287K). Our DC makes less than position coaches at most decent FBS schools. $300K a year can get you a lot of house in a lot of good college towns, and a $700K home is very affordable on a $300K annual salary. How many of our great coaches and former players have stayed at UCD to coach? Peterson? Foster? Hawkins? Hackett? Hawk is back as this is probably his last stop after a disaster at Colorado. Like it or not, we are a stepping stone job unless we go FBS, and to me its okay. We have to go find fresh coaching talent, ride them as long as we can, and then reload when they leave.
  • Riveraggie
    Rule of thumb to buy a house you should expect to live there for four plus years. Most football coaches should rent unless they have a four year contract. Otherwise it’s speculating. I think we have maybe one coach who has been with us for four years. Anyone buying a house today has an even chance of it being worth less than they paid for it in the next few years. Like the last time prices outstripped wages.
  • movielover
    We compete well with FCS salaries.
  • OldAggie
    We will lose coaches to FBS schools based on pay and prestige. I'm not saying Davis isn't a great place to coach, play, or attend school. I loved my time there as a student-athlete, and go back for 3 or 4 games in football, basketball, and baseball (I live local). However, I don't see many up and coming coaches thinking they are content to stay at a school where they can't afford to live in town, don't play on TV, have stringent academic requirements, and can't fill a 12K seat stadium. Like it or not, it's just the way it is.
  • movielover
    Understood, that's life. The coaches used to coach 2 teams... Bronzan, Moroski were around awhile... Speckman seems happy, a great place to cap a career and add a little pension for retirement. Success will help. Coaches can also supplement their off season with a little PT work. Dixon, Woodland probably
    1 /2 the price.
  • Riveraggie
    Movie ,
    when other schools are paying perhaps 300,000 for a coach who coached here without notable success then other people in that line of work are going to look for similar opportunities. Can’t blame them. Happens in other fields as well; absent other non financial rewards people do better in today’s world by job hopping to fill out a resume.
  • OldAggie
    We haven't had notable success in our program in a very long time (2010 was our last 6 win season, and we haven't won 7 in FBS yet). Suck State destroyed our defense for 52 in this year's causeway...just embarrassing. The early hype and energy was super last year, but the end result was nothing remotely special. Our wins were against awful teams and a non-scholarship FBS. Being a dominant DII team was fun, but it was not like our coaches were getting big jobs right out of Davis. Those guys busted it as assistants for a long time to get where they are today. It's interesting that our two former coordinators (Daft and Watts) had great success in their next jobs helping both their teams to huge turnarounds. With Watts promotion, now both are coordinators one year out of their Davis days (one at an FBS). Makes me wonder if the problem was Gould, our program, or a combination of the two. If Hawk can't find some success in the next couple of years, I think we are in real trouble.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!