• BlueGoldAg
    You can throw out the season records when Poly and the Aggies meet on the hardwood. The Mustangs are the Ags biggest rival in the conference and they will come into the Pavilion relishing a chance to break the our 18 straight home game winning streak. This game will most assuredly a physical battle.

The Aggies are the best defensive team in the Big West and they are coming off holding CSUN to just 53 points on Thursday. Poly's only conference so far was a wild upset of UCSB 80-79 by hitting 3 FT's with no time left in the game. However, since that the Mustangs have lost 5 straight conference games.

This is game 2 of a double header with the streaking Aggie women taking on UCSB in the first game at 2:30 pm. So fans can see 2 good basketball games for the price of one and have a fun afternoon watching some great college basketball. Get your friends and family and be there!

Live online stream from Big West TV: http://www.bigwest.org/tv/

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    46-22 at half. 6-7 from behind the arc. D is really. Poly isn’t
  • BlueGoldAg
    Nice crowd and the Ags were on fire. 62 % shooting overall and 88% from 3...boom...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Not sure the Ags can play much better
  • DrMike
    They were really sharp tonight
  • DrMike
    Wife and I had a great time watching both wins!
  • DrMike
    Scott Marsh said 3000 fans during the post game. I thought it was a good crowd but not that much.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Agree, the first half was about as well as I've seen this team play. The defense was really, really good. The Ags were using their legs and keeping their man in front of them and, when a guard did drive inside, the backup help was there. Then on top of that we were hitting our outside shots and that was sure nice to see.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was surprised to hear that too but there were a whole lot of ex-Aggie players with their friends and families in the reunion area. There were some fans in the upper bleachers on the east side so I think we did have 3000. The student section was much better also.
  • DrMike
    Offense was very crisp tonight. We attacked the paint and had poly on their heels from the get-go. Chima was unstoppable. Shorts and Hemmingd were active on both ends. John and Goode both played very well. Defense was awesome. The double teams off their high screens really disrupted their offense without giving them open looks. Need to take that Mojo on the road!
  • True Blue Aggie
    Does anyone have any intel on Del Jackson? He's been m.i.a. for the last few games.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Seems like I heard something about a week ago saying that he is injured but I don't know for sure. Even if he is injured you would think he would be in street clothes at the games.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Fullerton and Hawai'i are locked up in a real battle right now on the island. It's 41-35 Hawai'i at the half with both teams shooting lights out..67% for Fullerton and 54% for Hawai'i. Allman has 19 for the Titans and Thomas has 20 for the Warriors. Both of these teams are very athletic and talented. Great ball game streaming live on Big West TV.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Fullerton beats Hawai'i 69-66 behind a tremendous 40 point performance by Kyle Allman in a great basketball game. He was 16 of 19 from the floor including 5-6 from 3. He looked like Steph Curry tonight. The Titans shot 61% for the game...wow...
  • True Blue Aggie
    Thanks BGA. I was hoping it was the flu - let him fully rest and recover AND keep him away from the team. Either way, I hope to see him soon.
  • DrMike
    I had forgotten about Jackson. We had 11 suited up, 10 played. Storm must be there for emergency only, else he’s redshirting?

If I remember correctly, there were several games where Mooney was MIA. If it’s cold or flu, they are probably were aggressive about keeping sick guys from their teammates. Where are our twitter experts to get the intel?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I don't think they will use Strom unless we lost a couple of big men (knock on wood!). He's essentially being redshirted. He was pretty heavily recruited out of HS so I hope that he and Neufeld will be able to to fill the void that we'll have when Chima graduates. That's a tall order though.

Makes sense that if Jackson has the flu or a even a cold that they would keep him away from the team. That flu bug is a serious matter this year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Last night's official attendance was 3111...now that's more like it! We'll need the energy from good crowds when the top teams in the BW come to town. Santa Barbara, Hawai'i and Fullerton are all loaded with talent. There's going to be some great basketball in the Pavilion in the next few weeks.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Current Standings in the Wild Wild Big West:

Long Beach State (6-2)
    UC Davis (5-2)
    UC Santa Barbara (5-2)
    Hawai'i (4-2)
    Cal State Fullerton (5-3)
    UC Irvine (4-3)
    CSUN (2-5)
    Cal Poly (1-6)
    UC Riverside (0-7)

From what I've seen so far Santa Barbara, Hawai'i and Fullerton are the most explosive offensive teams and the Aggies are the best defensive team.
  • Toke69
    I notice that A. J. John went 3 for 4 from beyond the arc last night. When I saw him i Hawaii I was impressed by the flow of his shot. He seems to have great confidence when he rises to shoot and his form is very good. I wonder if he is rounding into a real perimeter threat. The biggest problem the offense has is a lack of consistent perimeter scoring.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I think John’s whole game is getting better, including his perimeter shot. Per his post game interview he was only cleared to play a week before the season began. It seems he is getting more confident with his knee. Hopefully, come bwt time he’s playing st his peak.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Looks like it’ll be important to finish 1 or 2 in the regular season so we get one of the bottom feeders in the first round of the BWT. As of right now, the third place finisher would play UCI, which would be a challenging first round game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Like DrMike said, "3 point shooting is contagious" and that seems to be the case with the Aggies. AJ does look like he is getting more comfortable out there with his shot each game and I thought his defense against Poly last night was very good also.

Siler has a beautiful 3 point shot but he has struggled to get it to fall with consistency. He's looked much better from 3 lately and Joe Mooney is improving also. The 3 point shot sleeper on the team is Arell Hennings. He shoots the highest 3 point percentage on the team. I think his overall play lately has really been helping the Aggies.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Les has been using Hennings and Shorts together recently. A direct result of Hennings play, and maybe partially due to the absence of Jackson.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think that when Les has both of them in there together it presents some interesting problems for other team. Both are capable of penetrating and making an assist, TJ can score inside the redwoods and Arell can pull the trigger from 3. That line up throws a whole different look at our opponent's defense.
  • zythe

I got the flu and have been battling it for the past two weeks.

Most of my co-workers and family members got it too. It’s horrible.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Sorry to hear you ended up with the flu. I always get a flu shot but I guess this year's shot won't prevent you from getting the flu but can make it less severe if you get it. I have a friend who has the flu and it has knocked him on his butt. Hope you recover soon.
  • Goags20172
    With 2 more wins the men's team clinches a winning overall record, but not in conference (that would be 4). Not bad for a team people weren't sure about at the start of the. season.

Women's bball clinched a winning overall record a couple of games ago. They need 2 more for a winning conference record. Imagine that- they can go 2- 7 and still accomplish it !
  • BlueGoldAg
    Very impressive by both teams. It is conceivable that both teams could win the Big West title. Wouldn't that be something? It won't be easy that's for sure.

The women's team is capable of running the table and finishing 26-3 and I'm sure that's their goal. Tougher road for the men though...
  • DrMike
    on the drive home Saturday, my wife and I were talking about the current state of basketball. in the last 4 years, we have a league title, a conference tourney title (and NCAA berth), and we could get to the 20 win plateau again and compete for the titles again this season. pretty sweet times! we had the hiccup after the league title, but not too surprising since we graduated 4 and lost 3 possible standouts (Berry and Walton transferred, Monson to graduate school). Add in the 19-straight home wins, and the fact that we continue to put quality young men out on the court, and its a great time to be a fan!

Les spoke to the alum/Team Aggie up in the reception area, and was very excited about the current state of the program and where we are headed. He sure gives the impression that this is the place he wants to be now, and in the future. He mentioned that folks (airport personnel, hotel and restuarant staff) routinely mention how polite this group is. GPA is up. All great things to hear for donors! The 2016-17 highlight video that they showed are really well done.

By the way, Berry ended up at a D2 school (Marysville in St. Louis) where he's going off at about 20 ppg. Walton ended up at Longwood (D1 Big South) where he is leading his team with 18.5 ppg. Monson? BYU School of Law.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Nice post, Mike, my wife and I feel the same way. The home winning streak is really special. It makes it feel like every game is a big game and adds to the atmosphere in the Pavilion. I think we are on our way to being able to contend for the BW title every year for both men and women.

I hope Les is able to land another player of the caliber of Hawkins or Moneke. It seems like the better teams in the Big West each year have at least one PAC12 caliber player who is really talented.

Santa Barbara is on the fast track to being outstanding right now. They have landed some 3 and 4 star recruits and Long Beach and Hawai'i regularly get few of those players also. To continue to become more even competitive Les needs to land a couple players with that kind of talent. I think the sky is the limit for us in basketball and I think Les is committed to taking us to the next level.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!