• ProAggieGuy
    I think they are still making some tweaks. Should be out in a week or so....
  • ProAggieGuy
    Still no roster. Five days to opening game. I stand corrected!
  • Goags20172
    They usually have it up right when they do their opening series preview, so probably Thursday at the earliest.

There is one clue in the team photo with J.J. Huish. I thought I counted 35 players in the picture, unless one of them is a coach I don't know about. So likely a full roster.

As it turns out 1 of those players is not Diego Fisher. That was obvious to me when he pinch- hit and played some left field for De Anza College on Saturday vs. SAC City. Interesting that De Anza has him listed as an outfielder and not a pitcher/outfielder. You'd think a player recruited primarily to pitch at UC Davis would be one of the best options on a junior college team, unless it's one of those super- competitive JC's like Chipola (FL) where players go to get drafted.

Fisher can swing the bat, although I suppose it's all relative to context. SAC City's cleanup hitter Kody Gardner has I believe 18 RBI through 8 games (a season's worth for many good players), but he hit .133 with SAC State last year.

Have you ever attended any games at Evans Diamond in Berkeley as a player, coach, or spectator ? Thinking of attending a game this year,(probably a day game, eliminating the Davis contest). From the photos I've seen, except for the posters of star players and the stadium lights, it looks like Dobbins has it beat. Those benches look mighty uncomfortable. I've heard mixed reviews on the neighborhood near the park. The CAL baseball fan site has some helpful directions for how to get there from BART, but they might be intended for Stanford fans they hope will get lost on the way there !
  • ProAggieGuy
    Evans Diamond is an average collegiate stadium. The cool thing about it is the local support. They draw good crowds to all games. The surrounding area is sketchy when you get off campus, but still a great atmosphere to catch a game. Parking sucks!
  • Davisbear
    Parking is tough, easy walk from BART. Average stadium, urban feel, surrounded by Haas Pavilion, RSF, track stadium, etc. Above average atmosphere, lively crowd. Fun place to watch a game.
  • Goags20172
    Thanks. It sounded like an easy walk. Lots of people talk about how rough Berkeley is, but I'm sure that particular area can't be that bad as students are likely using ithat BART station all the time. Any decent restaurants (including fast food) in that 4 block area ? Weather permitting I might go next weekend. Would be nice to see Bakersfield take a beating without having to go to Bakersfield
  • Aggiebaseball
    Very unusual that the Aggies have yet to post a roster. I have to assume they are still making cuts even though they play this weekend? What is everyone hearing?
  • Aggiebaseball
    Correction - they play tomorrow!
  • Goags20172
    It's unusual for most schools to wait this long to release a roster, but not so much for UCD. I understand why they wait until after New Year's. The results of December finals can result in some players becoming academically ineligible. I think it's more a communication breakdown. Baseball is not really one of the big priority sports, so I don't think the athletics dept is setting firm deadlines and getting on the baseball program to release this info in a timely manner. If they were requiring Vaughn to get it done faster he would.

I also think it's a university preference to try to get the media guide online first so all the players' bios and photos are up too + they have a finished product. It never works out that way though. I've seen both extremes. In 2003 (Rex Peters' first season) the roster was up in December 2002. In 2015 it wasn't finalized online until the 2nd game of the season (I believe Grant Henderson was injured and Elijah Ontiveros was added). Of course the official roster is what Davis submits to the NCAA and it's opponents so what we see may not accurately reflect where they are with it.
  • Goags20172
    Still no roster, but a series preview is up. Looks like our rotation is Blais- Brown- Hannah.
  • ProAggieGuy
    It’s game day and the 2018 roster eludes us still. The rotation is as expected. I got something right (to start anyways). Loar is on the mend, Wieser is probably starting on Monday vs. Stanford. Just don’t know who the bullpen is other than Trautner. Would be nice to see the roster.. Go Aggies!!
  • Goags20172
    Well, according to what you and Aggiebaseball have observed sounds like we have at least Ryan Rodriguez, Jared Sasaki, Daniel Barraza, and Brock Moffitt to go with Loar and Trautner. Added to the 4 starters that gives us 10 pitchers. If Matt Mascio and Andres Lara are still with the team we have 12. Probably 1 or 2 more pitchers we haven't named yet. Tough to name a stopper from this group. I'm guessing Rodriguez, with Trautner getting some multi- inning save opportunities. I don't know that we'll have any Red shirts among the pitchers not due to injury. With the inexperienced rotation we'll need the bullpen more than last year.
  • Goags20172
    It's up, guys !
  • Goags20172
    Here's a new name for the bullpen- Dylan Spezia. Pitched at Sierra College as a reliever. Redshirted as a freshman at SAC State.. According to CCCBCA.com he pitched 8 innings (9.00 ERA) relief as a sophomore, and only played infield as a Red shirt freshman. Well, Sierra College, like most good college programs, is very competitive for playing time. That small sample is probably not indicative of how good he'll be for UCD.
  • Goags20172
    Chase Lyford, LHP Saddleback JC was (6- 5) 3.28 as a starter last year, according to California Community College Baseball Association. Better record than Trautner, but it's relative to context. Next year's team may be a little heavier than previous seasons in terms of JC transfers, when you take into account the 3 coming in next year + The 3- 4 this year (Trautner, Lyford, Spezia, and possibly Joseph Torres on whom I can't find any info) +Houston Roberts- if he plays next year.

Edit: The only info I can find suggests that Joe Torres (from La Crescenta, CA) was a reliever at Glendale Community College and also spent a season at Point Loma Nazarene. If this is the right Joe Torres then he went 2- 3 with a 5.52 ERA in 2017 per cccbca.com . Pretty good considering it looks he just recently took up pitching.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!