• BlueGoldAg
    And let's not forget we are the Big West Champions in both Men's and Women's basketball. Wow...I'm super happy with that!
  • eastbayaggie
    I'm just happy we clinched at least an NIT bid.
    Jim Les is an awesome coach.
    We sure know how to win nail biters.
    I'm very impressed with this season and the player development.

My only question that I've asked several times over the last few weeks is "What's up with Delveion Jackson?" That guy always seems to be missing in action, and I just don't know why.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I don't think anyone knows what has happened to Jackson but being out so much and not even in street clothes at the games does not look good.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here's 4 Big West awards that the Men and Women should get:

Men's Player of the Year: TJ Shorts II
    Coach of the Year: Jim Les

Women's Player of the Year: Morgan Bertsch
    Coach of the Year: Jen Gross

Anything less than that would be criminal....
  • BlueGoldAg
    How about the the transformation of Garrison Goode since Chima went out! All of a sudden he's become an offensive threat and is taking the ball to the basket with authority and confidence. He has stepped up big time. Tremendous performance tonight: 6-9 from the field and 4-6 from the line for 16 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists.

Others stepping up huge: AJ John 7-12 overall including 6-10 from 3 for 20 points, 9 rebounds and 2 assists.
  • Zander
    Joe Pasternack (spelling?) is going to get looks for CoY because of how bad UCSB was expected to be. But Les taking a team with so many stars from last year gone to the championship is a tremendous accomplishment.

Can't see Gross and Bertsch failing to win the awards.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think Les should edge out Pasternack because SB was loaded with talent but struggled down the stretch whereas Les had to make big adjustments with Chima out and still managed to win the championship.
  • DrMike
    Shorts is at least newcomer of the year. Les is coach of the year. Graduate 4 starters and sixth man and play second half without best player? And win the championship? Hands down!! Les is More!!
  • 69aggie
    I had to miss this game due to a BD party i could not miss. Is there anyway to se a replay of this game? I very much agree maybe one of the greatest basketball games ever played by an Aggie team.
  • Zander
    ESPN3 has it up on their website. You may need to log in with your cable account to see the replay, or if you don't have one you can get a trial with https://www.sling.com/ that will provide credentials to log in
  • PortlandAggie
    Just got back from the beach in Phuket, Thailand to check the score. Guess who’s parting tonight!!!!!
  • movielover
    THIRD double OT win??? Awesome!

We still need to win the BWT to get to the dance, right?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Try this link: http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3271838

That may not work since it may be just for my internet provider. So if that doesn't work for you just google ESPN3 UC Davis vs UC Irvine Basketball and it should take you to the ESPN3 archive and you can then sign into your internet provider and watch the game.
  • Zander
    Correct. No way we get an at-large bid with this record.

Having the NIT to fall back on is nice though
  • tokyoag
    Fun fact: Michael Onyebalu has more championship merchandise than any D1 Aggie player!
    - 2014-15 Regular Season Champion
    - 2016-17 BWT Champion
    - 2017-18 (At least a) Regular Season Champion
  • BlueGoldAg
    Cheers Portland Aggie! If you've got a good internet connection go to ESPN3 and watch the replay. Incredible game!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    And he was an unknown walk-on 4 years ago. Worked his butt off and look how it has paid off for him. He's a great kid.
  • Zander
    Ha!! I was just thinking about that the other day, if I could have any Aggie player's career I might want Michael's. He also has far and above the best W/L record during his tenure of any Aggie D1 player (something like 70-20) although unfortunately he only played in probably a third of those. It's been really fun to see him turn into a solid player this year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I've been watching Aggie basketball for 45 years and this is the most resilient team I have ever seen.
  • movielover
    What was her name??? Did you go to one of the old school beaches from a James Bond movie?

Where does TJ rank compared to BW 1s?
  • aggies07
    Agreed. I’m not too much of a fan for Onyebalu, Goode, and Mooney but all 3 stepped up in big time tonight ( I have been doubting onyebalu starting since day one but he proves me wrong) . Les may not be able to recruit the best talent but recruit players with character to believe and play bigger than their opponents ( Turner and Monson may scratch their head wondering what Les did to the less talented and undersized Aggies).
  • Zander
    I wonder if the decision-makers at ESPN feel regret about not picking up an Aggie home game this year?
  • Kerberos
    I still remember seeing him enter the game at UCI 4 years ago when Corey didn't travel with the team because of an injury. In this game we were all nervous because UCI was also near the top of the standings and we didn't have our best player, but Ritchart had a monster game and we were up by so much that Michael got a chance to play. When he came in I thought to myself, "who is that and why have I never seen him before??" And then the next 2 years he continues to get very few minutes, until his tremendous leadership as a senior this year. Really happy for the guy.
  • 72Aggie
    "...we are the Big West Champions in both Men's and Women's basketball."

Great accomplishment for the school in a league where I think at best we have been seen as a middle of the pack team in most sports.

[Don't tell anybody but we were men's and women's champs in swimming and diving in 2010. The next year Davis dropped men's swimming and diving and the conference dropped both.]
  • Toke69
    Not to try to "one-up"BlueGoldAg" but I've been watching Aggie basketball for over 50 years now and their teams have given me more excitement than any team in any sport I have ever followed (this includes the 49ers). There have been some very solid teams, coached by some excellent men from Bob Hamilton to Jim Les, but this team is the best for their ability to reach down for that something extra when the game is on the line and the situation seems hopeless to pull it out. They certainly did that last night in the first overtime. While giving TJ Shorts all the credit that is due to a phenomenal performance (drawing fouls, grabbing rebounds, two great steals, and his shooting) this was a total team effort. Goode and Schneider stepped up in the first half, and when Irvine tried to shut them down, TJ and AJ took over. Mooney, Russell, Onyebalu, Printup, they all did their part, Coach Les making good use of his bench to keep them as fresh as a double OT can allow. This is a team for the ages, even better to watch than the 1998 team, no matter what happens next.
  • DrMike
    The Hawkins championship team was a lot of fun to watch because of Corey and their ability to light it up. But this team is special. There is no way you think they can go into Sante Barbara and wax them to get back in the race, and then go into Irvine and gut out a win. This group really deserve a banner. Aggie pride at its best!
  • 69aggie
    just watched the replay of the game. it has to be hands down one of the best basketball games I have even seen played. This must be why some say heart and guts beat out skill when the chips are down. Irvine was bigger, faster, had more muscle, had a bigger bench and probably had more skillful players, but it did not matter against the Ags who just willed their way to win this very tough basketball game.
  • zythe
    It seems our program is really growing.

I wonder what the future holds for us...
  • BlueGoldAg
    My feelings exactly. Well said.

This team is very special for all the reasons you've stated. They are Goliath slayers against all odds. I don't think they're done yet but, no matter how they fare from here on, this team is a courageous winner through and through.

The Big West Tournament is going to very, very hard for the Aggies. We have only been suiting up 9 players with Chima gone and Delveion Jackson curiously absent from the team. Playing 3 tough back-to-back games in a row will be brutal especially with the way the Aggies expend so much energy on defense.

The tournament format favors the better teams that have depth. Last night Irvine's bench outscored us 37-10. I'm not sure how much gas we will have left in the tank if we make it to the championship game but, one thing for sure, this team will play their hearts out and leave every ounce of energy on the floor. Aggie Pride in spades!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!