• movielover
    DAVIS, Calif. - "UC Davis will host two-time defending Patriot League champion Lehigh during the non-conference portion of its 2019 season, as announced by head coach Dan Hawkins on Monday. As was the case when these teams first met in 1977 in a postseason semifinal matchup, next year’s game will take place on the Aggies’ home turf."

"Kickoff for football’s home game against the Mountain Hawks is slated for Sept. 14, 2019. This is the third 2019 non-conference game announced by UC Davis; also taking place in ’19 are road games at Cal and North Dakota State."
  • movielover
    Lehigh Football Nation@LFN

"Lehigh played UC Davis one other time before: the Division II playoff semifinal in 1977. Lehigh went to Davis and beat the Aggies, won the Division II National Championship, and were never invited back... until today."

https://mobile.twitter.com/lfn/status/1024058835185610753
  • BlueGoldAg
    I like this game a lot. It's nice to see Hawkins and Blue extending our schedule beyond the usual west coast teams in our OOC games.

They make it sound like we had a chip on our shoulder after losing to them in1977 and "never invited them back." I seriously doubt that had anything at all to do with scheduling Lehigh again. The cost of travel, logistics and scheduling would have been the biggest factor for us playing them again especially if it was going to be a home and home agreement.
  • Riveraggie
    I suspect they never asked to travel across the country to play a non scholarship team at the Toom. Not much glamor in that, even factoring in the steam tractor,
  • lucche
    I believe they moved to D1 not long after we played that game, and we were still D2 for many years.
    That was a good reason for them not to play us. They could have lost a a game or two when we had O'Brien.
  • Russ Bowlus
    We share a common faculty director with the student-run Lehigh Marching 97: Jonathan Elkus. He was at Lehigh from 1957 to 1972 and Davis from 1992 to 2002--a big supporter of the student-run concept.
  • eastcoastag
    Really like this game. Too bad its not a home and home. Hopefully this type of scheduling continues and that the following season we can play an Ivy or Patriot school here on the east coast.
  • movielover
    Great to have, I'm assuming the Engineers aren't as muscular as NDS and Berkeley.

Lehigh was 5-7 last year, 5-1 in the Patriot League.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Is it "Lee" or "Lie" in pronunciation?
  • Zander
    I've always done LAY-high but there's no way that's right
  • movielover
    I've said and heard Lee-high.
  • Riveraggie
    Rhymes with the soda pop brand, Nehi
  • movielover
    Now the Mountain Hawks ... I prefer Engineers.
  • NCagalum

Yah, very disappointed that they dropped emgineers
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!