• BlueGoldAg
    The following article has a few quotes post game quotes from the coaches:

No. 9 Stanford overcomes slow start to beat UC Davis 30-10

"I told the guys downstairs we're not going to act like we lost because we didn't win by as much as we wanted to," coach David Shaw said. "We're going to act like we won and be pleased that we did enough to win the football game and recognize we have some room to grow, which is great."

"Stanford is a good football team. They showed that today," Aggies coach Dan Hawkins said. "They took away some things we normally like to do. If you don't maximize your opportunities you minimize your ability to win."

Read more here: https://www.sunherald.com/sports/article218480005.html#storylink=cpy
  • OldAggie
    So did we survive without any injuries?
  • NCagalum

Agree with Dr. Mike’s assessment. Maier wasn’t as bad as some folks are saying here IMO. There was pressure that disrupted his passing lanes (Could actually tell he was trying to redirect passes to account for that at times) and Stanford coverage was tight for the most part. I think not having Harrell hurt - another opportunity to stretch the field. Aggies also dropped some balls (inexcusable), and there was at least 1 miscommunication route with Preece (sp?).

Punting game was awful - except the Howitzer toward the end that outkicked coverage. The wind looked stiff at the top of the stadium, but hard to tell what it was like on the field - I got the impression that Whelan was struggling with his drop.

I thought defense was stellar. Not much help from O. What I really noticed was the tackling - very few missed. A BIG change from past years. They were not “overmatched” like might be expected.

I thought Rodriguez was a pleasant surprise. I didn’t even recognize the name and thought the other guy from the USD game would be in. One bad misread (maybe partly a receiver thing too) for the interception, but he seemed otherwise accurate with a nice tight spiral. He really threw a nice ball for the TD.

I don’t think Stanford looked very good. Costello looked pretty bad at times. They are going too need a resurgent Love and some improvement to battle for PAC-12 crown although I would say PAC-12 is down this year. USC looked awful against Texas.
  • movielover
    I believe a backup TE, Hyman?, caught a few balls from Hernandez.

When we were on their 10 or 8, it would have been really nice to score. (Interception.) Oh, well. Idaho!

Edit: Stanford alum remarked that Maier seemed to be throwing behind his receivers. Also at least 3-4 drops.

Can we watch the game on tape anywhere?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Insightful summary, NCagalum.
  • DrMike
    I watched the 60-minute version of the game on the Pac-12 network and agreed with myself and NCagalum about Maier. He looked pretty sharp for most of the game. He got put into 3rd and long throughout the game and Stanford was able to drop 8 into the passing lanes (with LOTS of physical play at the line) or blitz through a wide open slot to disrupt timing. His numbers would have been better if we eliminate most of the drops (get those back AND get better down and distance situations). I'm a little concerned about Montgomery's absence; hopefully Harrell was a one-gamer and we cautiously sat him from a non-winnable game.

Defense was really good. They flew to the ball and were good in the passing game (we got more pressure on them then they on us). we had some really nice drives, like the one before the half, that we didn't finish. that one hurt because we shoot ourselves in the foot twice with penalties that put us in tough spots (the 4th and17 conversion to Doss was impressive). even with the field position they got (the fake punt might not have been a great idea) it was 20-3 late in the 3rd.

having Ted Robinson cover our game was pretty cool!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great post, DrMike!
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!