• OldAggie
    I'm not trying to be negative, but San Jose St. was terrible (they were the 124 ranked football team in the NCAA preseason), Cal Poly was a joke, and San Diego was totally over-matched. We played much tougher schedules in 2014 and 2016. The Idaho State game is our only win this year against a quality FCS. The NCU game stands out as a scary game for me...we gave up a ton of points to a 1-7 team. There is no doubt we are far better off this year than ever in the FCS era (record and status of the program). We have won some games we have found a way to lose the past 15 years, and are in a great position if win this week to show we are for real. This year's Montana team isn't what they have been (2-2 in Big Sky), and a loss would be a major setback in my opinion. Great year so far, but we have long way to go with EWU and NAU waiting in the wings. If we finish 7-4, I'll need therapy.
  • BlueGoldAg
    If you will need therapy if we go 7-4, then you will probably be institutionalized if we go 10-1! :cool:
  • AggieFinn
    I'm pumped man. I'm PUMPED!
  • Riveraggie
    I agreee we’re far from perfect even though we have a nearly perfect record. I don’t think we should be the 8.5 point favorite that they quote on the Montana board.
    I’d rather that we came in overlooked and underestimated. I don’t think a loss would be the huge upset they seem to view it as in Montana.
    I think this will be a close game but we’ll pull it out because we’re better at the skill positions. We’re undefeated except for Stanford and an undefeated team has an edge because they expect to win.
  • movielover
    I'm not talking Monday morning 20/20 hindsight. My understanding from a Grid Club member conveyed at San Jose, at the opener, was that we were much faster, far deeper, and the schedule was a killer.

I agree, we look good but not giant killers, yet. The Defense has met my best hopes. I agree with Hawk and the team, we can play better.

In a way, this season has unfolded perfectly. Young players have matured, proven themselves, D has come along, and now we face tests going into the stretch run. Big Games!
  • OldAggie
    10-1, and I’m on a three day bender at the Grad.
  • movielover
    Just be ready for our 1st home playoff game!

Imagine our recruits at 10-1 or 9-2, a few playoff wins, and the Hawk!
  • OldAggie
    SJSU is no longer an FBS...they are a joke. We had Oregon and Colorado State a few years ago, with both Montanas and EWU. That was brutal. The BS teams we’ve played so far, and continuing with Montana, are not the powers we saw in 2016, for example. This is our real test...three games to show us the state of the program.
  • movielover
    :victory:

But San Jose isn't as bad as their record... they could have 2-3 victories. Against us, they started the wrong QB, had other QB drama, and came out flat against our firepower. Proof again promoting a position coach not a wise idea.

Big boy games now.

Can anyone dethrone NDSU?
  • OldAggie
    SJSU is 0-7...football is in trouble there. You are right, big boy football from here on out.
  • Zander
    SJSU's defense held 6-1 SDSU to 16. Frankly they probably would have won except for a disastrous interception and horse collar penalty on the return.

Neither SJSU nor Stanford was really able to stop Maier and co. Montana can totally win, but they'll need help from the Aggies and the crowd because I just don't think their defense is fielding enough talent to compete with the Aggie O.
  • Riveraggie
    Have to admit Stanford stopped us until garbage time. We looked like we belonged on the field with them but got 3 points.
    But the good thing is we are not going to see a level of athleticism that we haven’t seen before. Or anything close.
  • SochorField
    This is the most entertaining season I've followed (since '04). Every week from here on out we get to see if this program is for real. Constantly having to prove yourself is a powerful thing.

San Jose State is trash this year, and Spartan Stadium is an easy place to play. I don't care what Montana's record is this year, a win at Wa-Griz Saturday would be our 1st big boy win.
  • Riveraggie
    A lot of discussion about strength of schedule.
    From eastbayaggie on another thread.

Stanford #24
    UC Davis #98
    Eastern Washington #105
    Idaho State #130
    Montana #147
    Idaho #152
    San Jose State #154
    Northern Arizona #172
    Cal Poly #187
    San Diego #189
    Sacramento State #199
    Northern Colorado #206

If you buy the Massey rankings, the Montana competition is at the same level as Idaho and San Jose state.
    So the venue and fans are the new elements plus the long distance road game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    n2vg7025rl9l42wo.png

Two areas of concern that stand out to me are #11 in pass defense and #10 in punting.
  • SochorField
    The more I think about it.....

I'm just going to go ahead and say it:
    We are a 27 yard FG away from being 5-2. We are a top-25 team, but overrated.
    This is going to be a dogfight.
  • Riveraggie
    yep, but only in yardage. Teams have thrown more against us bexause they are behind. We are #2 against the run because there are relatively less run plays.
  • DrMike
    i think the Passing yards are skewed by the Idaho and UNC 4th quarters.
  • BlueGoldAg
    That makes sense. UNC lit up our 2's and 3's but ISU torched us pretty good through the air. Of course, they have torched just about everyone with that potent Gueller to Gueller combo.
  • Zander
    Looked at the Stanford game stats again. Maier was 22/45 for 194 yards, not as good as I remember but not terrible yardage-wise.
  • BlueGoldAg
    How are we injury wise? I know we must be pretty nicked up by now. This is the time of the year that depth looms large for teams in the playoff hunt.
  • Riveraggie
    We’re better in pass defense efficiency,
    Not great but better than Montana.
    PASS DEFENSE EFFIC. G Comp Att Int Pct. Yards TD Effic.
    1. Weber State 4 64 134 8 47.8 758 4 93.2
    2. Northern Arizona 4 67 134 8 50.0 735 6 98.9
    3. Montana State 4 82 135 6 60.7 877 0 106.4
    4. Eastern Washington 4 61 107 3 57.0 670 2 110.2
    5. Portland State 4 64 115 4 55.7 828 4 120.7
    6. Sacramento State 4 56 90 1 62.2 551 3 122.4
    7. Idaho State 4 114 189 5 60.3 1234 12 130.8
    8. UC Davis 4 78 134 4 58.2 1052 7 135.4
    9. Northern Colorado 5 78 126 6 61.9 939 8 135.9
    10. Montana 4 53 91 2 58.2 824 5 148.0
    11. Idaho 5 82 139 2 59.0 1066 12 149.0
    12. Cal Poly 4 81 131 3 61.8 1023 12 153.1
    13. Southern Utah 4 73 118 0 61.9 997 8 155.2
  • DrMike
    i have no reason to excuse our low rating on punting. i wish i could put it on directional punting within the 20 yard line, but i don't think that explains it. we've had way too many short punts (i think we had a 5 yarder vs. ISU?) that originated from our side of the field. its a concern. unless the offense is going crazy and we don't have to punt!
  • Riveraggie
    we looked good, but Stanford hadn’t given up a TD in the seven quarters before our game and Maier & Co. couldn’t end that streak. They also stuffed the run pretty good except for a good gain by Modise.
  • Riveraggie
    Funny how most of the bottom teams in pass defense, efficiency (see above) have played us, I wonder if there is a causal relationship there.
  • movielover
    Team flying out tomorrow?

Go Ags!!
  • NCagalum
    I am envious! Have a great time. This is one place I’d like to see a game. Might have joined you except I am playing Brass this weekend at Reformation Services.

I truly believe that the Ags are the better team, and clearly so this year. The Ags have mote team speed and more weapons. Snead can be rattled so pressure and containment on him will be critical as well as ball security. The one thing I am a bit worried about is the erratic punting game - and of course it is a difficult environment.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!