• movielover
    Greatest QB - took us to the national championship game, and could throw the deep ball and stretch the field.

Fantastic win. Great to see our deep QB group get PT. Great to see Dixon & other newcomers.

The 8 sacks are great, but I believe Poly gave up 8 last week. I predict next time we'll see their 2nd half QB starting. He moved the chains.
  • DrMike
    you heard correctly , and some of the oldtimers on our facebook page are not too pleased! how about best FCS QB
  • movielover
    Cody Hawkins wasn't disqualified, he was wearing a bright shirt, orange or red.

I hope our video crew capitalizes on this and puts out highlight clips in 2 hours, not 2 days.
  • Zander
    JM was probably a missed tackle away from an FCS championship game visit. Defense sacks EB3 in the final drive of the quarters, then Aggies probably walk away from that one and Maine has to make the likely longest road trip in FCS playoff history to face the Ags in Semis.

I'm not arguing specifically for Maier to be "the Greatest" -- because again I think the term is so squishy, but "the conversation" should include several names and his is one of them. We're probably in agreement on who the others would be.
  • Riveraggie
    A guy drafted ahead of Marino vs a free agent
  • Zander
    Fair. I have no idea what the criteria for "greatest" should be, that's my main point.
  • movielover
    Stats that stood out.

Defense

Sacks - 9 - Hansen, Rodgers, Nixon (2 each).
    Tackles - Hanson 8, SO Venable 6, FR Buchanan 6, FR Cloyd 4, FR Alexander 3.

14 tackles for loss (vs 4).

Offense - 768 yds, 392 rushing, 6 rushing TDs.
    Red Zone - 7 of 7.

14 receivers had a catch.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/mobile/?id=327737#
  • 69aggie
    I am no expert in great aggie QBs, but times, they have changed. Kenny was great; i think he was the greatest of his time. Perfect pocket passer of all time. But now times have changed.to mobile QBs. Peterson was our first. And great. Then came Kahari, he was great as well. Jake was exceptional, but not real mobile as has been noted. This new group of Aggie QBs are exceptionally mobile and athletic. I think the Niners are yearning for someone like the very mobile Kap to reinvent their team to get the perfect mobile QB. We have 3! i loved HR today. And I really loved Trent Tompkins TD run. I have never seen that from an Aggie QB in my very long life. Incredibly athletic freshman man player. What a cornucopia if talent Hawk has to dip into this year. What a game!
  • movielover
    Recall the old saying, IF my grandmother had testicles she'd be my grandfather. :wink:
  • elfan
    Poly has a roster that's stuck between two vastly different schemes. Baldwin will do a good job there with time. The biggest takeaway here is overall depth and what an improvement a modern defensive scheme has brought. Prepare for Hawk to be in the market for another DC very soon as its unlikely they will be able to pay Coombs. On Marsh -- while he's been around the program forever, he's prone to hyperbole and really doesn't have his arms around the personnel or the conference. Scott Barry was a breath of fresh air. Too bad Buzzard didn't keep the pxp job. Maier had a great junior year but is not on the four deep for the all-time QB.
  • zythe
    I missed the game because of something important that I had to attend to. Did our basketball team play or am I missing something with the score!?
  • Zander
    Thanks for bringing us back to earth 69, I definitely am grateful there's been multiple generations of talented Aggie QBs such that we can even have this argument
  • movielover
    Rodriguez to Babbs TD. I don't recall Maier, as gifted as he was, throwing many like this, 50+ yards in the air.

https://twitter.com/UCDfootball/status/1373383915797291009?s=20
  • Zander
    That is one beautiful throw
  • movielover
    Fantastic win, and I'm glad Poly showed a lot of heart, never gave up, and may have found a new starting QB.

No expert here ... but do we ever throw a pitch, a screen, or with HR speed, how about a bootleg?
  • CA Forever
    Wow. This is still an incredible game to think about. Shot ourselves in the foot a couple times... Just mistakes we can't have against better opponents, but cool to see 3 different QBs score and Faulk reeeeeeally wanted to be a 4th. Without mistakes potentially an 80 point performance. The thing about it is that we were being merciful too but good luck telling Tompkins to slide on a run like that
  • SloStang
    Congrats. That was an old fashioned a$$ whooping. We have a long way to go and the Aggies look ready to make a deep run. Hopefully we can make it more respectable in 3 weeks.
  • CA Forever
    I think Baldwin switching to Raquet was the correct move to make but far too late. I'm curious as to what exactly happened to the Poly defense though. I don't remember it being that much of an issue over the last several seasons.
  • SloStang
    The defense has been bad the last 3 or 4 years, but it was on the field a lot less with the time consuming triple option offense. I had always said that Cal Poly’s problems under Walsh were not on the offensive side of the ball, but on the defensive side. I expect it will take two or three years to see a big turnaround. I expect given time Baldwin will right the ship.
  • 69aggie
    Anyway to rewatch this game?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Geez Louise! My wife and I were able to listen to the radio broadcast of the game while we were driving to Yucca Valley today. We could barely believe what we were hearing...complete domination on both sides of the ball after those two turnovers early in the first quarter and I'm completely loving our defense.

The team certainly put an exclamation point on the win in our 1000th football game.
    I have to say though, I feel for Poly. That was a tough outing for them today.
  • AggieFinn

The 1st year transitioning from a 3BO to a standard offense has historically been rough...it's all about finding the QB for Baldwin.
  • fugawe09
    Wow, what a game. Too bad it wasn't able to be a full house. Would have been rocking.

To say CP got a pounding is putting it lightly. More like a Tabasco enema. Our win streak is now 4 years, which means most of their guys have never beat Davis, and I guess don't get their team pictures up in the locker room. Aside from the one extracurricular facemask, looked to be a pretty clean game. Credit to most of the CP players for keeping their composure because things usually get chippy with these kinds of blowouts. I imagine this is them hitting bottom and Baldwin will improve things once he starts to cycle in some new recruits. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised 3 years from now if the 3 CA teams were the ones to beat in Big Sky.

Great showing on both sides of the ball for the Ags and glad to see we reduced number of game-changing penalties. Still need to know when to throw the ball away. Unforced errors will cost us against a better team. All the PATs were good this week, but at least in the camera angle looked kind of wild. Hopefully in real life they drilled straight through. Our depth of quality young players was on display for sure. I hope we don't have any bad PAC12 teams try to come shopping.

I was thinking the same thing that the water tower looked pretty raggedy. I believe it was last repainted around 2007. It previously had the legacy block CA logo
  • 69aggie
    Great day for the Ags if all we have to do is bitch about the Water Tower! Just get it painted “sometime”. Unbelievable game for the Aggies.
  • Zander
    The postgame thread is taking off on reddit. A lot of chatter about CA rivalries there, it's an interesting dicussion

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/m9irsl/postgame_thread_uc_davis_defeats_cal_poly_7324/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!