• BlueGoldAg
    Was Barriere wearing gloves? I didn't notice that. I don't remember JT wearing gloves either but, at my age, memory is suspect!
  • movielover
    I believe in honesty. We didn't drop 74 points on Lehigh, or beat them by 49.
  • DavisAggie
    S. Utah, a very competitive FCS team, only beat them by 10. (Maybe Davis and EWU are really good?) This year's team could have easily put up 60+ plus on last year's Lehigh team. We also didn't play Portland St or Northern Colorado this year. It all evens out.
  • Riveraggie
    Barriere was wearing gloves.
    JT has a video on YouTube where he talks about gloves Wore them only in the pros where they were freely available at no cost, he definitely likes them if it’s wet. He says you lose some of the touch passes, he throws most everything hard with the gloves. Says gloves are better now than when he played.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgXIOT7JpnM
  • movielover
    Key play was Q1, 4th & Goal at the 1. We also called a TO after our 3rd offensive play on a 1st and 10.
  • agalum

I hate calling refs out as bias, but it sure felt like there was favoritism for EW. There were even some comments on the EW board about that. With that said, EW was the better team. Mainly bc of Barrire. He is a real special player.

Time will tell with Tompkins but he is a winner. Even Best, commenting about Barrire’s progression, said they worked on keeping him in the pocket and not scrambling as his first instinct. Rogrigues did better in this game throwing the ball away vs getting sacked. Where was our pass protection and on the other side, pass rush? Barrire just had too much time to pick us apart.
  • agalum

Wife wants to stay in old town so we might be in the same hotel this time. Aside from Tulsa being hard to get to, Pocatello is in the same boat. Fall is really busy for me, so it’s going to have to get closer before I’ll know what other away games I’ll be going to but SD and poly for sure.
  • lucche
    How can you make any tackle without leading with the helmet. The only difference is where contact is made. So, basically, if the helmet makes contact with another players body first it is a penalty.
  • SloStang
    They want you tackle with your head up and not lead with the crown of your helmet. In other words he would have been ok if he did not lower his head before contact.
  • Riveraggie
    They ignore ergonomics. How do you lean forward, get low, and put your shoulder into a guy, which is what you need to do to stop a runner coming straight at you without lowering your head? If you lower your shoulder your head lowers also. if you pull your head back and lower your shoulder you’ll break your neck if your head makes contact
    This part of the rule should be limited to contact with the opponents head, or to a defenseless player, in line with most of the sections of the rule.
  • SloStang
    I don’t agree with the rule, I am just saying how the intemperate it. He put the crown of his helmet into the numbers of the ball carrier and they want it to be his face mask.
  • Riveraggie
    I agree with your interpretation, I posted that section of the rule almost simultaneous as you did, but with the opinion the rule is a mess.
    I think it’s slanderous to call someone for a personal foul and an ejection for this kind of play
    What is particularly egregious was it didn’t seem to be called on the field. I bet you could make the case for rule being called on a large percentage of plays where the ball carrier is running toward the defensive player.
  • movielover
    FWIW, I think Marsh said the director of officiating was at the game. :roll:
  • lucche
    How about a.lineman on a goal line stand where they try to make the offensive line-man get low so the lb can make a stop. Are you saying none of them lead with their helmets. I bet someone does on every play at the goaline. But the contact is below the shoulder, as was the Aggie players. Leading with the helmet happens on almost every play by lineman. The O -line mans helmet is already in front so a defensive line only needs to make quick contact with his helmet and get a free 1st down, right?
  • Riveraggie
    That’s exactly right, literally enforcing the rule makes football impossible. That’s why they say in the beginning of the rule;
    Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball.
    Someone in the booth who called fot the review of that play ignored that,
  • NCagalum
    Barriere had way more time than HR or other Aggie QB in the pocket.

Coaching staff definitely looked to out more load on running game and less on QB this season. Will be interesting to see who emerges in fall. HR is very mobile, Tomkins best runner, both HR and Hastings appear to throw a better ball. Tomkins injured his throwing shoulder and still attempted passes so maybe hard to judge. I am not sold yet as some are that Tomkins is the best option as the starting QB. By nature he looks to pull ball down and run. He reminds me of Troy Andersen at Montana State. Great athlete and used at qb, but not optimum at that position, at least now in my opinion. All that running will also expose him to injury at QB as happened to Andersen. Flanker, running back, wildcat, punt returner, other options to use him.

Lots of coaching and matching of parts to do going into fall. Lots of talent but will need solid QB play, play calling and orchestration of players.
  • 69aggie
    I have to disagree with NC about Tompkins. The guy had incredible passing numbers in HS, but he could also run the ball. He has not been used as a passing QB this year and yes, versus EW, he got hit in the throwing arm and still completed passes. One way to stop the defensive rush is to have a QB who can run the ball exceptionally well and even ram it right up the middle on a RO play and Tompkins has shown he can do just that. He also put on 20 lbs. since last year and won the “iron man” award on the team. He is a very strong young man and very fast. My vote is that Tompkins should be our next QB this fall. And this is with no criticisms of HR who is also a great player, but more limited than is Tompkins. And: HR can be a great WR.
  • DrMike
    Mike Perreira, former head of NFL officials and FOX analyst, was there evaluating the crew.
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t think they passed
  • agalum
    Scott Berry posted on FB about the call. Apparently during the broadcast he disagreed with the call, but after studying the rule and speaking to some experts, he reversed his opinion. The enigma about that whole review was that there was no flag! I would really like to know how the events unfolded behind the scenes. Has anyone ever observed a review without a flag?
  • Riveraggie
    That’s really key. If you can review aspects of a play without a flag, why don’t we see that with holding and pass interference, uncalled infractions that show up often in replays?
  • Riveraggie
    I think we need to withhold judgement on who should be our QB. We’ve seen Tompkins play maybe two drives where he’s thrown any passes..
    We don’t know how the QBs compare in seeing the open guy and making the right pass. Can’t tell that from TV.
    We need a QB to get the ball into the hands of Babb, Hutton, Crawford Castles etc. I think Tompkins might be very good at doing that but too soon to tell. Same with Rodrigues although there is more film on him so coaches have more to evaluate. Hopefully we can win with either guy and can have a QB controversy for the ages.
  • movielover
    Fantastic HR fake and then chuck over the top to TE Castles. Beautiful play and execution. We had some clock mgmt / communication issues, and I don't think we saw all that HR can give us if he had more rollouts, w the option to pass or run, or deep balls. Spring ball gave new coordinators experience. It looks like HR is better at getting the 8 or 15 yards, and getting out of bounds, and I worry about the goal line and LB punishment TT could take.
  • DavisAggie
    We're blessed with 4 QB's who can play. Ultimately it's going to be survival of the fittest
  • DavisAggie
    Knew Pereira went to Santa Clara but didn't know he was local (from Stockton, lives in Sacramento, wife went to Davis)
  • DrMike
    the former head of PAC12 officials was a guy named Dave Cutha. He was a FOX college rules guy. He did my high school games in Antioch, then frosh games at Davis. He’d occasionally do games at Davis when his PAC12 crew had a break.
  • elfan

This isn't high school. TT will have the opportunity to compete for the job but "the job" is not to play wildcat and get hit 10+ times each week in the run game. This was what, a five game season, and the Ags end with injuries to two QBs and the starting running back. Each of the three QBs plus the true freshman have things to improve upon.
  • movielover
    Don't forget, we have 6 QBs on the roster:

Hunter Rodriguez - Junior - 6'0", 180
    Trent Tompkins- RedFrosh - 6'0", 200
    Miles Hastings - RedFrosh - 6'1", 180

Gunnor Faulk - Soph - 6'0", 195
    Grant Harper - Frosh - 6'2", 200
    Mitchell Dixon - Frosh - 6'4", 220

Whether we take the full season passing yards per game (228.20), or remove SLO (4 games, 191.25), that's still a big dropoff from Jake Maier 2019 (309.17 PYG). 26% & 38% drop.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!