• BlueGoldAg
    I love seeing the return of the 7 pm start times for the home early season home games when the weather is still scorching hot.

r4cn8afab1wxvykd.png
    ctm0f206wpfvo9zj.png
  • AggieFinn
    Schedules updated. Trying to get to that San Diego game, game time would be nice! Are they going to shut it down?
  • agalum

The San Diego game will be at 1PM. Bring your cowboy hat, we all baked their last time. I used SWA credits left over from pandemic canceled flights to book this trip. Hopefully we are a go. I’m not sure the airline would honor another cancelation.
  • DrMike
    are you sure about that? Last game was the only time we played a day game down there.
  • DrMike
    ugh. I understand early times for their league games since the opponents are all Midwest/East teams, but 1:00 for us and Poly makes no sense. Seemed like it hurt their attendance (beach or football?)
  • agalum
    Need to find a big hat and a skate board. I was parked way down in the east side parking last time.
  • agalum
    The Toreros play Poly Saturday. It would be interesting to see both teams in action. I don’t see a way to stream this game though. It is on espn radio.
  • DrMike
    I’m considering Uber this year; weird place to park
  • agalum

Good idea. Wife is a little bit on the fence bc of the delta variant. We’re both vaccinated but watching the reports. And she hated the walk from the parking area to the stadium. I have plane, hotel, and car rental reservations.
  • DrMike
    all my reservations can be cancelled (plane tickets insurance paid with points) but I’m 99% certain we’re going. I’m going to Weber two weeks after.
  • agalum

Yes, mine can be canceled also but I’m not sure how SWA deals with that since i used credit from a previous cancelation.
  • DrMike
    And I’m sure we all realize that Brewfest is not happening this year. Too hard to plan an event like that in advance with uncertain restrictions
  • Goags20172
    If you used credit from a previous flight, Southwest lets you use the credit for a different flight as long as it's before the expiration date, which is 1 year from when you originally made the purchase that created travel funds you're using now. As someone who's made many booking changes during COVID-19 I am an expert on Southwest lol. On its website SWA will tell you when the funds expire. There's no limit to how many times you can cancel and re-book, just note that if you paid extra for early boarding that part is non-refundable.

Now of course this is true of the Wanna Get Away Flights, but if you booked Business Select you may be able to get a cash refund.
  • agalum

Ok thanks. Dont want to miss SD!
  • Goags20172
    The trick for you will be using up your funds in time given it sounds like you're using funds from different trips, which means you'll have funds with different expiration dates. Southwest has this limitation built in the system where you can only use two sets of travel funds per trip, in addition to your card, so if you have funds from 3 or more trips you have to outsmart them. You can usually do that by buying both parts of your trip separately instead of as a round trip
  • agalum
    Looks like the SD-Poly game and our game with SD can be streamed:

https://wccsports.com/watch/?sid=466870
  • agalum
    From Rocko today in a team aggie email:

“ For football season ticket holders, we are planning for a return to full crowds at UC Davis Health Stadium starting on September 18th vs. Dixie State (7 p.m.). Our department and main campus have partnered to have the game a featured part of Orientation Week and we are expecting over 6,000 students for our home opener. As a result, we will have limited single game tickets available, so please let your friends know they should plan to buy tickets in the next few days before the remaining tickets are gone! For those of you who live far away and are unable to attend, we are proud to announce all of our football games will be streamed on ESPN+ including tonight’s game vs. Tulsa (4:30 p.m. PT).”
  • agalum

Well, with the new CDC travel recommendations, we decided to cancel our SD trip. I was able to get full credit from SWA, and was within the deadline for the hotel and car. Really bummed. This darn virus.
  • DrMike
    bummer! We’ll hoist a couple margaritas in your honor while listening to the old town mariachis!
  • agalum

Thanks, we were looking forward to seeing you and the Mrs.
  • Goags20172
    Dixie State is changing its name to Utah Tech next year.

The online articles I've browsed have stated it's about technology and moving forward, but I have to think there had to be some woke reasoning beyond that too. Dixie reminds one of the south. The south is associated with the confederacy, which is racist: therefore Dixie State is a racist name ? The "Utah" part is probably for more recognition. Who thinks of Utah when they hear Dixie State ?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    probably a good move. I know everyone I’ve talked to about our football schedule was very surprised that Dixie st is in Utah. Haven’t run into the name association with racism but it wouldn’t surprise me if that was part of the reason for the change.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Does anyone know why Sac State hasn't had a game time announcement. We are all used to the 1 or 2pm start for Causeway. I know it depends on the Kings, Cal-Stanford, etc but usually we know when Causeway will be before any other of the games. Why not this year.

Also I'm an oddball but I think all Aug/Sept games should always be night and October can be either but that November games are much better in the afternoon.

When I was a student they always started with 7pm then went to 5 or 6 and then the last two were usually day games at least. I know stuents in my years preferred night games but November games get too chilly at night. For Nov 13th against EWU, I would be shocked if it was warmer than 75 at 1 or 2pm. A 5pm start might not be so fun.
  • Riveraggie
    I was wondering why it was called Dixie and the only reason given was local preference. I thought maybe it was named for a teacher or something. Hard to believe a county didn’t have a public high school until the twentieth century.
  • DrMike
    Sounds like the Dixie name is for the region, where the Mormons tried to make it into a cotton producing region. Check Wikipedia. They were even called the Rebels at one point and incorporated a confederate soldier as a mascot. That’s been phased out, but it seems to still be a sensitive subject to some.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_(Utah)
  • DrMike
    After watching an hour of network college games today, I really appreciate that we had NO recall ads on the ESPN+ broadcast!
  • Riveraggie
    I can still hear the Applebee’s song in my head
  • DrMike
    we’ll, yeah, there’s that. And Lillie from AT&T
  • NCagalum
    I lived in Utah for 2 years while going to grad school at Utah State. Southern Utah region was commonly referred to as “Dixie”. St. George is considered the gateway to the national parks in Southern Utah. I always just thought the name was because of the relative geographical area. Utah’s has its own nomenclature with the state considered to be “Zion” and with a saying “Utah, the only place where a Jew is a Gentile”.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Learn something new everyday
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!