• BlueGoldAg
    It looks like this game will be a sellout. Unfortunately, my wife and I will miss this one. We're spending a week in San Francisco visiting our son for my 75th birthday (good God...where did all those years go!).

3udr4h82ctznxice.png
  • agalum

Happy birthday!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks! I can't believe I'm 3/4 of the way to 100! We'll take in a couple of Giants game while we're in the City. We're big fans and they're a huge surprise this season. Best record in baseball but it never comes easy. Hope my heart can survive the "torture!"
  • movielover
    What will UC Davis Health Stadium Covid requirements look like?

Just spoke to the ticket office. Outdoors. No requirements, esp since under 10,000 capacity.

FYI. On hand masks likely helpful.
  • 72Aggie
    Happy Birthday to one of the few people on this board I can call “Old Timer,” …but I won’t. That would be rude.
    Enjoy your celebration.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Happy Birthday BGA! We’ll cheer extra loud for you!
  • Goags20172
    Hopefully the games will go better for you than the last time I went to see the Giants (2019). Went to see them play the Dodgers for a pair of September contests. They were shut out both times ! That was a wasted weekend.

Hope you enjoy them.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I hope I'm not the only 'Old-Timer" here. I always seem to be the most senior person in anything I do anymore. Can't complain though, still got my health and fitness but not my six pack! :rofl:
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks Obda! I hope I can hear the crowd all the way to SF!

My wife and I have had the same disappointing experiences when we've gone to Dodgers/Giants games and we always seem to lose and be surrounded by obnoxious Dodger fans to boot! We'll be seeing the Padres and the Braves on this trip.

We're over the moon with how the Giants have been doing this year! They've been fun to watch especially since it's been such a total team effort with so many players contributing and who ever thought that we'd be leading MLB in HR's?!! Gabe Kapler has done a masterful job of managing this team with all the injuries we had and all the players going back and forth from the River Cats.

It's tough being in the same division as the Dodgers though. We could possibly win 100 or more games and not win the division and then have to play in the Wild Card game. I'm just hoping we win the division and send the Dodgers to the WC game! Man, I'd love to see that happen!
  • Goags20172
    In 2019 I went to 6 Giants games, 4 in SF and 2 in Phoenix. In the four SF games they lost all of them, but won the road games.

I am planning to skip Oracle this year. With the virus making a big comeback not comfortable with the huge crowds.

It's been a good year to see single-A baseball. Saw a few Visalia Rawhide games a few weeks ago. The ballpark's capacity is significantly less than Dobbins Stadium with a crowd to match. It was such a small crowd that when they turned on the Kiss Cam the PA announcer knew the names of all the kissing couples. They automatically knew I was new there and gave me a sticker. Still a fun place, right in the middle of a neighborhood. Foul balls literally wind up in people's yards.

And the Davis tie-in to keep it relevant. Downtown Visalia reminded me of Davis a lot. Except it's not really a college town, so no lines of students waiting for sushi.
  • movielover
    I wonder how many fans Dixie St will bring?

If smaller numbers, it might free up some tickets.
  • elfan
    Is this the first advance sellout since the stadium opener? Good news, but seems a little odd.
  • agalum

This is what Rocko said in a team aggie email:

“ For football season ticket holders, we are planning for a return to full crowds at UC Davis Health Stadium starting on September 18th vs. Dixie State (7 p.m.). Our department and main campus have partnered to have the game a featured part of Orientation Week and we are expecting over 6,000 students for our home opener. As a result, we will have limited single game tickets available, so please let your friends know they should plan to buy tickets in the next few days before the remaining tickets are gone! ”
  • BlueGoldAg
    We usually have a great group of students for the first home game of the season and the student stampede across the field and then those numbers dwindle dramatically as the season progresses regardless of how good we are playing. I wish I could believe that's it's going to be different this year but past history tells me not to get my hopes up for having a great Aggie pack again...
  • movielover
    This year combines 2 new classes ... I recall the student lull... then big turnout for key games / playoffs.

I sure miss the steam engine, but not the underneath restrooms or tiny snack bar.
  • 69aggie
    The steam engine. A great tradition and one of my favorite topics from the past! I think it as been gone for over a decade. I do not recall if there ever was a real explanation given for its demise, except I recall some vague BS comments about “the insurance company would not cover it.” Sure, it might blow a gasket and let out a lot of steam, but put a 6’ construction fence around it and let no one within 100’ of the thing. Good grief, they fire cannons up at Reno and at numerous southern colleges. And they are safer? The insurance company thing is bogus as well because I know UC is self-insured up to I think 1 million bucks. I did hear that the Antiques Mechanics club is now defunct and I believe they did do the maintenance on it. But, hey we have a strong engineering program that could handle it easily. Hawk must remember the “Engine” and all the steam and loud whistle. Very fun! Hawk, can you put this on your “to do” list? Can we start a petition?
  • agalum

Sochor ised to say the steam engine was worth 7 points
  • 69aggie
    Well. Let’s get it back!
  • NCagalum
    unfortunately a “strong engineering program” nowadays means as much computer modeling these days as anything mechanical with little knowledge of how to turn a wrench. The clubs are the best bet. Many universities have student tractor pull teams, but they are tied up in very strict competition rules and would have little time for a side project. Best best would be to resurrect the antique club by throwing out some carrot and a cool project like the one-lung tractor.
  • Goags20172
    Sac State used to fire a cannon too for touchdowns. Maybe they still do-haven't been to a game there since before the last Aggie game I saw, and that was in 2017 against San Diego. A friend asked me if I were going to the CSUS vs UNI game. Sure, I'd love to fall through the stands and break my neck.
  • movielover
    The high, large temporary stands at Sac State don't feel very safe.
  • Goags20172
    The home side is the worst. It's incredibly unnerving to think about how that structure supports a press box and an elevator. A former neighbor of mine-a retiree with a pension and a part time job-had it figured out. Keep taking classes at CSUS and you can sit in the student section just up the ramp. No stairs to climb. I don't know how many degrees he's wound up with. That's the way to do it-keeping his mind sharp and watching all the college sports he can handle.
  • CA Forever
    After an exciting 2-0 start on the road, the Aggies finally get to play in front of a home crowd against the Dixie State Trailblazers. Dixie State comes into this game with an 0-2 record to start the season with losses to Sacramento State (7-19) and Weber State (3-41). In both of their games played so far this season, they were within striking distance going into halftime but just couldn't hang in the 2nd half.

On offense the Trailblazers are led by QB Kody Wilstead who has completed 53% of his passes on the season for 226 with 2 interceptions and no passing touchdowns quite yet. Wilstead is also able to run the ball, gaining 93 yards on 18 attempts with a touchdown. RB Quali Conley has added 55 yards on 16 attempts. In terms of receiving the Trailblazers top targets so far this season have been WR Jalen Powell who has 103 yards on 10 receptions and WR Keith Davis with 6 receptions for 75 yards.

Honest assessment is that the Dixie State offense has looked anemic through 2 games, but Sac State and Weber State is a tough start to the season for an FCS transitional team. I don't think that the Aggies are going to make it much easier for them.

On defense the Trailblazers are led by LB Malaki Malaki who has 20 tackles (14 solo) with 1 tackle for loss through the first 2 games. DL Livingston Paogofie has 5 tackles for losses including 2 sacks. As mentioned previously, their defense was able to hang with Sac State and Weber State (for at least the first half in the later game).

All in all, I think that this is another game that the Aggies should win by a comfortable margin in front of a home crowd, but you can't allow yourself to play down to competition. We have to come out firing on all cylinders like we did against USD and make substitutions once you're in a good position. We have to continue to limit mistakes, I think we've only had the 1 turnover so far this season.

GO AGS!
  • agalum

I watched part of the Dixie-Weber game. The Dixie QB must be 7’ but rock solid. He is a beast when he turns it up field. He drags guys with him and runs over some. Their receivers are capable. Apparently he was at BYU and transferred over.

At the moment, the weatherman is calling for an 83 high for Saturday. Perfect for a night game. I believe having the game in the evening will really help student presence. The freshman run onto the field is always fun to watch. Hooefully the band (uh) will be in full force. Looking forward to the team aggie gathering, Aggie Football is back!
  • CA Forever
    Hahaha he's not QUITE 7', but very tall standing at 6'7 and 230. Sized more like a TE than a QB. Davis has struggled in the past with QBs that take the ball upfield themselves, but I would like to think that the defense is up to the challenge against a team who is averaging 5 points per game through the first 2.

For what it's worth (and it's not much to be perfectly honest), Massey is giving the Aggies a 98% chance of winning this game. Massey is honestly pretty favorable to Davis right at this moment as they are predicting us to win every game minus Weber where they are giving us a 48% chance of winning... so a coin toss. Again though, to be very very clear, this is just a random metric and I don't put a lot of stock into it.
  • movielover
    FWIW, I watched a big chunk of the game. I can see why the QB was in a big program, and why he didn't progress up the depth chart. The Sac game was closer than the score. One long toss was 6" too far, a minor adjustment and its a completely different game.
  • zythe
    Is Dixie State any good?
  • CA Forever
    They are an FCS transitional team (played Sac State and Weber State first 2 games) and are averaging 5 points scored on 231 yards per game. They are allowing 30 points scored on 448.5 yards per game. I think Davis should be able to comfortably win this game, but any given Saturday and whatnot.
  • DavisAggie
    Grass tickets not available. Weird
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!