• Goags20172
    I think we have very different definitions of school spirit, but that's ok. I believe it's more than just going to school, having a great time, getting a great education, and speaking well of it to others.

In fact, everyone plays a role in the success of the athletic programs, and also the university indirectly through those programs. People's roles are a subject I think would best be served with its own message board topic. Perhaps I or someone else will do that today.
  • agalum

People's roles are a subject I think would best be served with its own message board topic. Perhaps I or someone else will do that today.
    We actually had a separate thread on this years ago. As i recall it was a good discussion. A new thread sounds like a good idea. Bob Dunning seems to think poor student attendance is the result of being FCS.
  • movielover
    Two transfers had a big impact to on Saturday.

Graduate student Jaycee Smalley had 6 tackles to lead the team. The 232# LB came via UCLA.

Tysean White, a 6'2" 235# LB / Jr, had 2 tackles. He's a transfer from Navy. 12.5 sacks as a junior in HS, San Diego native.

If this game goes as planned, I hope to see:

- an established run game
    - more time under center for QBs #2 & #3, not just late 4th Quarter.

Go Ags.
  • Riveraggie
    Hopefully we’ll see some of the 2021 HS recruits in the Dixie game. There is almost invariably a true freshman who makes an impact.
  • Riveraggie
    San Diego foiled us in our attempt to establish the run by giving up all those 20 yard plus touchdowns. Drat.
  • agalum
    I was really surprised that we didn’t get more yards on the ground. We have the talent, maybe the defense wanted to force us into passing situations? And possibly thats not such a good idea :).
  • DrMike
    early on, they really stacked the box. 8 guys within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. I was stunned to see them that packed in. Probably why we didn’t run much early, AND why we pushed it down the field.
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t think this team has a commitment to either the run or the pass, they’re adaptable.
    They played a ball control game against Tulsa, with runs and short passes, partly to keep the ball away from the more explosive team and partly due to Tulsa’s nickel defense.
    Then we did the opposite against USD, rushing only 20 times. The Aggies can be balanced but if a defense is willing to give up one or the other they will take it.

In the end against USD we averaged 6.6 yards per rush, with two rushing TDs,.
  • DrMike
    Here’s a funny stat : in spring DSU hung with New Mexico State 36-29, rolling up 483 yards. So, does their offense have potential or are the Aggies that bad?

Hopefully they bring play to their potential against teams called Aggies!
  • Riveraggie
    They have some tall guys I’m glad it’s not volleyball
  • eastbayaggie
    Accuweather says there's a 60% chance of rain on Sunday. Any weather experts know if that forecast may shift and affect Saturday's game?
  • Russ Bowlus
    NWS saying clear on Saturday.
  • BlueGoldAg
    realtimerpi.com predicts the Aggies will win 45-6. They also go on to predict a 9-2 season at this point in time with loses to Idaho and EWU.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_California_Davis_Aggies.html

Their data is supposedly updated every 5 minutes when establishing their power rankings which has us ranked #126 overall (FBS & FCS) and #26 currently in FCS.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_power_rankings_Full.html
  • Riveraggie
    That’s just pathetic. They don’t have South Dakota State in the top 20 FCS teams. What is their methodology?
  • lucche
    Tulsa is #64. What's that? and Florida State is #133 NDSU #150 ? huh Jacksonville St #155
  • agalum

From every weather forecast I’ve seen Saturday should be a near perfect weather day for football. Might even need a light coat in the evening.
    We drove into Davis today for lunch with some out of state friends who are visiting. Yep, the students are back in force. Seeing parents walking with their freshman kids and all the food venues packed with customers was refreshing to see.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    It would be nice for the students to see a win. Often they come out early and the team does not play well, resulting in lower turnout as the season continues.

Saturday, my plans are to watch Cal crush J Street Tech in the afternoon and follow the Ags at night.
  • eastbayaggie
    Game starts at 7pm. Accuweather now says 4% chance of rain at game time and 51% chance at 11pm. I don't really trust Accuweather from one bad experience though. Any other thoughts?
  • CA Forever
    The weather app I use says it should be clear
  • AggieFinn
    GAME DAY!!!

LET'S GET IT!!!
  • movielover
    I hope for an injury free game for both sides, a convincing victory, and plenty of PT for QB #2 and maybe #3.

Is there any benefit at years end if we're ranked #5 instead of #8? Home field advantage?
  • NCagalum
    in general, higher rankings should lead to a greater chance of home field advantage, but progressively would depend on who won the previous round if one advances. There are probably other factors I don’t know of that play into the location selection.

I think one thing that helped NDSU win all of those titles is that they always had the home field advantage in the playoffs, and the Fargo Dome is more of a home field advantage than most places.
  • Zander
    Only benefit I know of is being able to play the @ 4th seed instead of @ the 1st seed in the first round. Mattered a little in some years where NDSU was obliterating everyone.

I don't believe the location selection system matters at all if you're seeded; that's a first-round construct only. My understanding is the seeded teams simply have a bye and then always host when they're playing an unseeded team or a worse-seeded team.
  • Riveraggie
    That ranking site that expects us to lose to Idaho, still thinks Idaho is in the Sun Belt conference.
    http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_Idaho_Vandals.html

They’ll slice through the Big Sky opponents like a knife through butter.
  • movielover
    Long concession lines expected, lack of staff: bring your own food and / or eat before.
  • CA Forever
    Let's go Aggies!
  • NCagalum
    That was easy. No passes and great blocking. Good opening statement.
  • CA Forever
    Very easy start for the Ags on offense and defense
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!