• BlueGoldAg
    "We've been in a lot of these (type of games) over the years, been in three of these the last three weeks. I'm not going to say we're battle-tested, but we've been tested by three different ball clubs," said head coach Aaron Best after the game.

"We got our first road victory, got our first Big Sky victory. It was a tough game. Far from perfect, but (the team) responded and we came out victorious. It's awesome."

"It was not clean, but against good teams it's probably not going to be that clean," Best added. "We were gritty, we were tough, we were resilient. All of those things that Eastern Washington football resembles, we were all those tonight and we had to be."

https://goeags.com/news/2023/9/23/football-final-ewu-27-15-ucd-24.aspx
  • AggieFinn2
    The visiting team scored more points and won this game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Well, this one hurt for sure and Aggie fans left the game feeling disappointed. This is a game we could have won but the TO's did us in. I'm sure the team is as frustrated as the fans are and, since we've never beaten EWU, it feels even more bitter.

I give the Aggies credit for coming back after getting down 14 early due to the TO's but this game has certainly pointed out some problems we have against tough opponents. We simply can't win against quality opponents when turn the ball over 3 times. Two of those TO's gave EWU a short field and led to 10 quick points for them.

EWU is a tough team. Let's not forget that they took Fresno State to 2OT after Fresno had just beaten Purdue on the road. Then they followed up that game by putting up an impressive 530 yards in their win over a very good SE Louisiana team. They're much better than a lot of people give them credit for.

Our defense is keeping us in these games while our offense sputters at critical moments and is turning the ball over. The D held EWU well below their average yardage per game and on the offensive end we had 435 yards to their 319. That's pretty darn good overall but the TO bug got us again.

We've had a lot of early season injuries too and it's definitely hurting us now. There were at least 4 players wearing boots on the sideline and we lost OL David Main last week too. Two WR's, Andre Crump Jr and Abe Del Real, were in street clothes also. We're thin at RB now that both Larison and Perez are out.

We're going to drop way down in the rankings especially since EWU has not been getting much respect in the polls up to this point. There's a lot of football yet to be played in the Big Sky and a lot of things can change quickly but, from what I've seen so far, we're a middle of the pack team and we're pretty beat up so every game from now on is going to tough.

Sac, Montana State and Idaho are clearly the 3 best teams in the Big Sky to date. They're all loaded.
  • Riveraggie

We cant win when we give up 227 yards in a little under 17 minutes in the beginning of the second half.
  • movielover

Three TOs and a blocked FG. Ugh. LL is a stud. Did Babbs have more than one attempt (his reception)? It looks like Sac and EWU haven't backtracked. Great crowd.

How were the concession lines?
  • Zander
    I think we win this game if Lan is still in the full game, that said, coughing up the ball three times against a team that can score as fast as EWU isn't something we can expect to happen in a win.

Positives were a close, competitive game, good turnout, and good halftime show (I've felt for a while that the band should try a k-pop show to appeal to the undergrads). I also quite liked some of the food options; I had a good (by stadium quality tri-tip plate).

I heard some (presumably freshmen) walking behind me on the way back through campus talking after the game about how they were pretty satisfied with the team's performance and didn't feel it was a bad loss, so I hope that's a common sentiment. I also saw some older students filling up the bars downtown after the game so hopefully gameday becomes an "event" once again now that we have more outgoing post-virtual students on campus looking to have fun on weekends.
  • Zander
    Loving this music of South Korea halftime Band-Uh! show. It's really interesting.

Last year I got to see one of the groups they covered; the Korean artists put on fantastic, catchy shows. Glad the band is still being creative in finding source material to appeal to newer students
  • 69aggie
    Meanwhile LLs MRI watch. I am both hopeful and doubtful. I really love that kid. Fingers double crossed.
  • BlueGoldAg
    He's definitely is one of the most talented and exciting players we've ever had.
  • 69aggie
    Move Tompkins to RB? Just a little idea to think about.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We may see Tompkins moving between WR and TB but i think Chukwudobe will be our starter now.
  • SochorField
    I’m surprised by the lack of athletic depth we have at RB and WR. I haven’t seen a WR that looks like a playmaker (yet).

We really have 3 athletes on offense- Lan, Tompkins and CJ. Looks like we are down to 2. Looks like Gale should be used more in the short/intermediate pass game going forward? Simpson made some good plays last night.

I hate to say it, but I’m disappointed with the coaching staff so far. Leaning on Lan so hard was unfair to him. In the back of my mind I saw this coming, and I said as much to some fans at the Southern Utah game (I wonder if they are on here)….

I’m not sure how the offense became one-dimensional, but it happened. It was proven when Lan went out. Coaches better find out over the next week how to scratch together an offensive scheme.
    Luckily, Cal Poly is going to have a tough time putting up points.

Tough climb to make the playoffs from this point.
  • CA Forever
    The one-dimensionality of this team has me... befuddled... considering it is such a far cry from what the team looked like when Hawk took over. Hawk's first couple seasons here, man, that offense was fun to watch.

I'm not entirely sure what's to blame though; several OC changes, Miles Hastings not having a full D1 skill set, WRs not talented enough (our top target is a converted QB), OL not pass protecting well enough, combination of all those things? Whatever the case, they have to figure something out otherwise this season will get ugly.
  • movielover
    We had Jake Maier Hawk's first year?, and then two more. Plus 2 years of Keelan Doss, Vaughn (?) and another talented WR who's name slips me. Kraft and Hutton. We dodged a bullet when Ulonzo Gilliam came back. Three years ago Babbs was a breakout threat, he's been buried on the depth chart. And we had a acrobatic WR who only lasted a year. Speckman 2nd year gone. Opportunity for young players.
  • agalum
    Somebody earlier commented that every year pre-season they get their hopes up, that this is going to be the breakout year, then disappointment. I have the same sentiment. We just don’t seem to get over the hump. But on the bright side, our defense looks solid. I’m just not going to get my hopes up anymore and just roll with the punches.
  • AggieFinn
    If the offense doesn't turn the corner by the end of the Montana game, like Perryman going to UW, I expect certain defensive players to take their chances in the portal and move up next off-season.
  • Riveraggie
    . We went from a pass oriented team that had Ulonzo Giliam and Tehran Thomas, to being a run oriented team that has Lan Larison, and thats pretty much it as a running back. None of our competitors have that lack of depth at the position they are dependent on.
  • AggieFinn
    Look at these offensive stats vs. EWU - a long of 15 yds passing for an entire game. I think in 2018, that would be a stat on the first play of the game. Far too conservative.

iRDtnQuBpN0ZtIc_1695665816.jpg

WsxTx05QJ45YqIv_1695665893.jpg
  • NewGuy
    Coach Hawk's 2nd season - Big Sky Co-Champs! Skill Players (Offense); Jake Maier; Keelan Doss; Jared Harrell; Ulonzo Gilliam; Tehran Thomas; Wes Preece; Kris Vaughn; Carson Crawford; Justin Kraft; Darius Livingston. Offensive Line, Defense and Special Teams were strong as well.
  • Riveraggie
    We couldn’t win against a ranked opponent in that year either.
  • Riveraggie

One dimensional but it would have won except the one dimension got hurt. Now we’re in a pickle.

On the other side of the ball, here are Eastern’s first 3 drives of the second half. 68, 91, and 58 yard drives. What happened that made the third quarter so successful for EW, when they struggled most of the game? It wasn’t that the defense was tired, they had half time and Davis had a six minute drive just before the 91 yard drive. It is almost a bad omen when Davis has a team backed up near the end zone.

EWU 3rd EWU25 15:00 KO UCD7 12:12 FG 8-68 02:48
    EWU 3rd EWU6 06:24 KO UCD3 03:08 DOWNS 9-91 03:16
    EWU 3rd EWU42 01:31 PUNT UCD0 13:08 TD 9-58 03:23
  • cmt
    Good thing we only play one of those three this year. Of course to go 7-4 and make the playoffs, we'll have to beat one of Sac, Montana or Weber. Could also say 2 of those three plus NAU since they just beat Montana. We know from last year that playing all three of Sac, Weber and Montana tough but losing and going 6-5 won't be good enough.
  • AggieFinn

The year Idaho and Montana State are gangbusters good...and the Aggies are dropping close games at home to EWU when they don't have to take on all the killers...not a time to be letting your opportunities slide through your fingers. Aggies need to ball out, and it starts with the coaching and preparation. A competent game plan with some decent adjustments should get this team, with this defense, 7 wins...anything less than an at-large playoff bid should be a huge disappointment to the entire program and the donorship.
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the Sac Bee:

Eastern Washington blocked a field goal with 3:20 left and then ran out the clock to beat the FCS No. 15 Aggies 27-24 on Saturday night, moving to 11-0 all-time in the series since it began in 2005. The double whammy loss is the realization of what could be a season-ending injury for UCD’s top player and certainly the program’s most electric one in Lan Larison. The junior from Idaho and the fastest Aggie on the roster bolted for 256 yards on 22 carries, including a sizzling 78-yard scoring burst. His rushing total is the third most in program history, which dates to 1915, behind two 300-yard efforts by Mike Ichiyama in 1994.
    Larison was the last one to leave Jim Sochor Field. He was without shoulder pads but wore his No. 3 jersey in the final quarter. Scores of UCD players hugged him after the game. At the very least, Larison won’t play any time soon, and the pained expressions of Aggies coach Dan Hawkins and another team leader in receiver Trent Tompkins spoke volumes of the team’s mood. Players and coaches expressed concern and compassion for their teammate and friend.

“He’s a special kid, a special player,” Hawkins said. “He’s blue collar all the way. His picture is the definition of work.”

Said Tompkins: “Lan’s one of the best players in the league. He means a lot to the team He’s a great person and a great player.”

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article279696904.html#storylink=cpy

]
  • cmt
    So probably the MCL and/or PCL then, depending how how you read “could be season ending”. Other option is it’s the ACL and they’re waiting for some sort of confirmation that’s what it is.

Either way, that’s too bad for him.
  • AggieFinn2
    The eagles took it to the limit; they did not take it easy.
  • movielover
    Given it's so early in the season, could he qualify for a medical redshirt?
  • DavisAggie
    Yes, if he wants it. I doubt he would play beyond 2024, though
  • Toke69
    I heard Scott Marsh mention that Lan Larison was on track to break the Aggies single game rushing record. I was trying ti find a website with the UC Davis football statistical records, both team and individual players, but I couldn't find it. Anyone know if there is one?

Also, any news on Larison's injury?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!