• 69aggie
    The bee wouldn’t have printed this article without solid evidence that Plough was in line for the job. Notice all the background info they had on Hawk and plough? No, plough doesn’t have the job yet but would he stay at cal as an AC and not take this HC position. No. Oregon state is still in shock over their HC leaving and probably don’t know plough from a block of wood. So I see this as a strategic leak from an informed person in order to prevent problems. Like defecting players.
  • movielover
    Huh? Coach Gould seems like a great guy, outstanding RB coach, but a horrible choice as HC. Coach Biggs early announcement gave Terry Tumey more than a year to find a replacement, and he failed miserably. My sources say TT reportedly offered Hawk the job, Hawk told him what he needed (likely more funding for coaches salaries), and TT came back with the same exact offer months later. Hawk was like, "WTF?" Hawk knew what was needed to compete against EWU, Montana, and ND State.

Imagine if we had hired Coach Hawkins four years earlier, without the Gould train wreck. Well, Gould did find Doss.

What is Coach Plough's history as Coordinator?
  • movielover
    Write for California: "The first year TE [Plough] coach with the Bears has been instrumental in the development of Jack Endries and the rest of the tight end room. In the run game, Endries, JT Byrne, Asher Alberding, and Jeffrey Johnson have all played big roles in pulling blocks, creating holes for Jaydn Ott, Isaiah Ifanse, and others to run through. It’s been nothing short of spectacular, after the tight end room lacked identity in recent seasons."

https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/report-cal-te-coach-tim-plough-in

Plough & sons w Axe

https://x.com/VintagePlough/status/1726148978125996385?s=20
  • 72Aggie
    It's not like those other Aggies, at Texas A&M, who let their coach go this season, just a couple of years in to a $95 (?) million contract and will be paying him sometjhing like $75 million.
  • CA Forever
    There are certainly more aspects to coaching than just wins and losses, but I mean... His record was 12-33 as our HC. In most any profession if you underperform for long enough in some of your duties you're gonna lose your job.

Gould seemed like a nice guy, but these guys all know that getting results is part of the job.
  • movielover
    Thete were obviously reasons he never became an OC or HC after decades.
  • AggieFinn
    "Recruiting is like any other sales business. We've got to win to keep our jobs. We gotta fill the arena to keep our jobs. And if we don't, they fire us. I mean, that's just, that's, hey, bankers don't make money they fire them." - Kevin O'Neill, collegiate head basketball coach (1989-2013) Marquette, Tennessee, Northwestern, USC

Capture.jpg
  • agalum
    Well, here’s the quote from Rocko in the Bee article. Maybe he has to say that?

“It’s an open search,” DeLuca said. “We have a great tradition with UC Davis football and Hawk has done a great job elevating the program. Our goal is to find someone to take the ball from the fullback and keep going forward. We’ll have interest in the position. We’re one of the top FCS programs in the country and we’re not backing down from our goal of winning championships and national championships.

“We’re going to move as fast as we can, but also take the time to make sure.”
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks Hawk for your 7 years at the helm of the Aggies. You'll be in the Aggie Hall of Fame real soon.

6jq5p3ocjofss43e.png
  • AggieFinn

I don't even think about Gould anymore. It was such a low point for Aggie Football.
  • agalum

I bet we know within a week or less. And regarding the portal, when Taylor left, as i recall several of his players hit the portal.
  • Riveraggie
    Did rich donors instigate Goulds removal or just make it possible by providing the funds to buy him out? If the administration could have fired Gould without the money would they have done it? I don’t know the answers to those questions, but he would have been gone the next year in any case, not because of play calling but for not making any improvement during his tenure.
  • SochorField
    Davis has rich donors?
  • movielover
    Fox 40 clip:

• Riveraggie
    What is Ploughs history as a coordinator?
    Moroski gave Plough play calling responsibilities in 2011. In 2012 he shared offensive coordinator role with Daft. He left Davis when Gould took over, becoming an assistant coach at NAU, He became offensive coordinator after two years. Moved to Davis when Hawkins was hired, left before 2021 Spring season for Boise. Fired after four games his second year.. Boise.lost to UTEP and scored only 10 points in his last game.
    Record
    Davis 2012 4-7
    NAU 2015 7-4
    NAU 2016 5-6
    Davis 2017 5-6
    Davis 2018 10-3
    Davis 2019 5-7
    Boise 2021 7-5
    Boise 2022 2-2 before fired.
    Overall 45-40
  • abridge
    Hey, some of us have given FIFTY DOLLARS. Geesh.
  • movielover
    Coaching Records

Ron Gould
    Record.... League ..... Finish

2013 5 - 7 ........5 - 3 ..........T-4th
    2014 2 - 9 ........1 - 7 ..........13th
    2015 2 - 9 ........2 - 6 ..........11th
    2016 3 - 8 ........2 - 6 ..........T-9th
    .......12 - 33 .....10 - 22
    .........7 - 26 .......5 - 19 last 3 years

Dan Hawkins
    Record.... League ..... Finish

2017 5 - 7........ 3 - 5 .......... 8th
    2018 10 - 3...... 7 - 1 ..........T-1st (JM & Doss)
    2019 5 - 7........ 3 - 5 ..........T-6th
    2020 3 - 2 ........3 - 2 ..........T-3rd (Covid year)
    2021 8 - 4.........5 - 3...........T-5th
    2022 6 - 5.........5 - 3 ...........5th
    2023 7 - 4.........5 - 3 ...........5th
    ....... 44 - 31 ....31 - 22

2019 was an odd year. Several polls predicted us to come in 2nd with Jake Maier and Jared Harrell back, Ulonzo Gilliam rushing for over 1200 yards, Kris Vaugh (#1) and Lance Babbs a breakout threat. (#2 in receiving) We were loaded at wide out and had Plough running the offense. Harrell never got untracked.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The last two seasons, while successful, ended in bitter disappointment when UCD was denied playoff bids both times.

The lack of a bid after the just-completed 2023 season was especially disappointing, given that Sac State was selected despite having just lost to the Aggies.

"I thought we were in, but I was wrong," said Hawkins at the time.

"My dad told me that life's not fair, and neither is football, so that was something that was out of our control."

At last week's football banquet to conclude the 2023 season, Hawkins told his players, "Sometimes life throws you a curveball, but you have to deal with it and make something positive out of it. Everything happens for a reason, so find that reason. Get up in the morning, put your boots on and start walking."

https://www.davisenterprise.com/news/hawkins-steps-down-as-aggie-football-coach/article_727c5c44-8e4c-11ee-860b-1384b37691bc.html
  • AggieFinn
    Heck, some have given as much as $50 to this dinky little Forum! FYI, the 2024 drive will commence in a couple of weeks. Whenever I can break free from these Heavy Civil Construction chains for an hour, I'll set it up.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Congratulated the coach last night as he left Sudwerk. He looked pretty relaxed!
  • 88Aggie
    Funny, if he wasn't fired or pushed out, but he still wants to work and says there will organizations that might value his skill set and experience, then I wonder why he is moving on. I wonder if he just likes to make change but not maintain and he feels like he put Davis on the right path and it's time to move on. Or he doesn't want the grind of head coaching and wants to do other stuff.
  • AggieFinn
    Going out on good terms, despite the playoff miss is a good feeling. The program is 100% healthier since Hawk showed up. Facilities have been upgraded, we've learned how to compete in the Big Sky - now we just need a few horses to help get this team over the hump. Starts with the bloody quarterback of course.

As of right now though, it feels like a little bit of a rebuild is due in 2024, save for some golden transfers.
  • AggieFinn2
    Maybe he's moving on because he's tired of going on Aggiesportstalk.com and seeing people crap on his play choices during the game ? Queue the indignant users who do not grasp sarcasm.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!