• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies and Hawai'i are both coming of thrilling, last second wins over CSUN and now the two will face each other at 9 pm Pacific time when the Ags travel to Hawai'i to meet the Rainbow Warriors. This will be a very tough game for the Aggies as the Rainbow Warriors are always tough to beat on the island.

Last week was a mixed bag for the Aggies. They were totally out of sync in their loss to Riverside but came back and gutted out a hard fought win against talented CSUN. On paper, Hawai'i and the Aggies look to be a very even match up but the Rainbow Warriors get a big edge being at home. The Aggies will need to be on their A game to be competitive in this one but they have the ability to bring home a win if they play 40 minutes of fundamentally sound basketball. This should be a good one.

Tip off is at 9 pm: http://www.bigwest.org/tv/

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawaii leads the Aggies 33-32 at the break in a fast paced, hard fought first half. The Ags are having some trouble stopping the Hawai'i's cutters and drive penetration. They've got some players with a very quick first step off the dribble. Luckily for the Ags, Hawai'i has blown a bunch of point blank looks. Hopefully, the Ags will be able to stay close and have a chance to win at the end.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags are locked up in a barnburner and lead 59-57 with 7:41to go.
  • oldschool
    Great win for the Ags! When's the last time we had a player go for 26 points and 13 boards!? Moneke is a beast.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Aggie play one of their best games of the season and beat Hawai'i 76-70. Chima Moneke had a monster game with 26 points and 13 rebounds followed by Brynton Lemar with 18 and some clutch FT's at the end. Huge win for the Aggies!

Lots of Aggies stepped up when they needed a big play. Lawrence White hit a big 3 with under a minute left and, earlier, Darius Graham het back to back deep 3's to help maintain the lead down the stretch. This was a really fun game to watch and the lead pretty much stayed in the 1 to 3 point range throughout the second half,

Irvine destroyed CSUN to remain undefeated in the BW and they come to the Pavilion for the second game of a double header next Saturday. I hope we pack the place as the Ags try to tie for the lead in the BW.
  • movielover
    Huge game for Moneke.

Better than 6'10" Mike Lein?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Nice recap Toke69. It may be a rebuilding year for Hawai'i but they always seem to reload rather than rebuild. There is a definite advantage to recruiting when you can offer up a little bit of paradise as a perk for playing basketball for Hawai'i.

I was impressed with Hawai'i's interior passing and their pick and roll cuts to the basket. We had no answer to those plays but, like you said, Hawai'i blew lots of lay ups and would have won if they had made 2/3's of those.

Chima is as athletic as anyone we have ever had in an Aggie uniform and, I agree, he may be the best big man we have ever had even though he is only 6'6. He plays much taller because of his great leaping ability. He's also very strong and quick and has a good nose for the ball. When he made that put-back slam in the second half his elbow was above the rim. That was as good a slam as I have ever seen a Aggie make. It was right up there with a put-back dunk that Garrison Goode made earlier this year.

Brynton Lemar is playing with confidence and leadership. I think he is playing his best basketball ever right now. His FT's in the final seconds have won us several games this year. That said, the Ags are very inconsistent at the line and Garrison Goode is shooting in the 30% range from the charity stripe! I hope Coach Les makes the whole team shoot 100 FT's at every practice because we are leaving way too many points at the line.

Darius Graham is the motor that drives the team. His senior leadership is on display every game. His two 3's late in the game were critical and his showed confidence and courage lofting up those two, deep beauties.

I like the way Lawrence White is playing also. He knows his role primarily as a great defender and rebounder but he can also score with a variety of shots. He's just a great team player who plays without fear. JT is coming around but just seems to get into foul trouble so quickly. He has great character and courage and he is an inspiration to the team. I also think that Siler Schneider is giving us good minutes and has the ability to catch fire from deep. Arell Hennings is also giving us some solid help at the point too.

The team is playing pretty solid all together right now and the game Saturday against UC Irvine should be a dandy. Irvine is, without a doubt, the top team in the Big West. They absolutely destroyed CSUN 105-73 last night in the Matadome. A packed Pavilion and an inspired Aggie team could make things very tough for the Anteaters. It should be a good one!
  • DrMike
    Nice win on the road (ocean?) against a pretty decent team. I'll be there on Saturday vs. Irvine. Hope the defense continues, and we are solid with the ball. Irvine looks to be on a roll.
  • 69aggie
    Hate to quote the new micheal Lewis book again (the undoing project) but he states that the new "algorithm" for NBA bigs is not height but effective length. Looks like chima fits that mold. Also, I love Morgan, but she needs some meat on those bones. Maybe chima and Morgan do some workouts together and then a big lunch! They are such great kids!
  • aggie6thman
    Big road win. Show down on Saturday against UCI.
  • Toke69

I confess that I never saw Mike Lein play. I do know that he holds the UCD season rebounding record, but he played Div. II. I note that the Sac Bee article about Moneke calls him the most athletic player ever. Hyperbole notwithstanding, the writer did not qualify that statement as the most athletic big man ever but overall.
  • movielover
    Who was the writer?
  • 69aggie
    Can't recall his name but Ham had a kid in his last year who was virtually unstoppable in the paint. He was physical to the max. I believe he quit the team when Ham was fired. Again, though DII is not DI.
  • movielover
    ... and Preston played DII.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!