• 69aggie
    So going into conference play I don't see Les RSing anyone now. Only Ba has not played in 4 games. On the woman’s side, again it looks clear that Gross will RS Jones and Lily this season. And what a difference in trends for the two teams. Gross is obviously going big for the future and will have one of the tallest teams on the coast next year. Les on the other hand is going smaller. As the USF coach alluded to, that small team approach can work, but only for awhile against good teams like USF. I wonder sometimes if Les is so wrapped up in his successful years as a guard and great 3 shooter, that he overlooks the value of bigs. Please note the word “wonder” because he is a smart guy, maybe we just cannot recruit bigs as most mid majors cannot do either. This is in no way a criticism of Les. He is a great coach IMHO.
  • DrMike
    I remember going through the Big West rosters last year looking for 6-10 type players. Not many and a large fraction foreign. I think the to programs grab those guys so it’s either foreign players and transfers for the lower mid-majors.

Les was pretty upbeat in comments after the game. Said preseason schedule is a real test but that this team is much better than 3 weeks ago, and expects an even better one in three more weeks. I agree; doesn’t look like the same group that played in Sac
  • movielover
    Wouldn't a 'great' coach have a record here over .466 (.508 in league)?
  • 69aggie
    I don't know movie. For all the BW schools except CP, the MBB coach is THE biggest coach on campus. This is not the case for us or CP. plus, the BW is a very SoCal oriented conference and that is where the bulk of the California talent is also. So for some kids the “where the hell is Davis (SLO)” factor may be an issue in recruiting. I think that might be why we and CP seem to struggle in MBB. But I must say that over Les’s time we have done much better than CP in MBB. But yes, .466/.508 is not a great record.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    So going into conference play I don't see Les RSing anyone now. Only Ba has not played in 4 games.69aggie
    So Harris and Murphy will redshirt this year (Harris will have 3 years left and Murphy a full four). Gehrke has been missing from the sidelines the last couple of games, after getting some decent playing time against the Pac-12 teams. I haven't heard what that's all about...it would be nice to have another 6'7" guy to plug in if Neufeld or Koehler get into foul trouble.

As for the height issues, yeah I'm sure Les would love to recruit multiple 6'10" high talent guys, but that's just not realistic for UCD. So you're left with either getting tall guys that you HOPE will develop, or more talented smaller guys and play small ball. And certainly the 3-pt line helps teams that have good guard play. Probably worth noting that the most accomplished D1 Aggie team ever ('16-'17) featured JT and Good at 6'7", and Chima at 6'6" as our bigs (John was listed at 6'8" but played mostly on the perimeter...both Georgie and Henn were 6'8" but neither played much during the BW season). I think we can compete in the big west with the size we have, but it does mean we have to play consistent team defense and the other aspects of the game (shooting primarily) have to be working well.

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    2 league titles and a tournament title look pretty good on the resume.
  • movielover
    Respectfully, so we need to cancel football and transport the campus to beachfront San Diego to have BB success? :chin:

Gonzaga, St. Mary's, WBB have all done very well.

Imagine recruiting for Fresno City College. I can't find his current statistics, but I've heard of coach Ed Madec. Several years ago he was 317-57 (.847) in his 11 years coaching FCC, and before that 83-38 (.685) at College of the Siskiyous. Over 16 straight league titles, 5 or 6 state JC titles, and built a program to surpass dominant Long Beach and Cerritos junior colleges.

We know that we have had a high turnover rate. The team needs a structure, but players also need to be creative and instinctive. We only need 2 solid recruits a year and 2 role players. I wouldn't mind a .500 record if the players looked happy and we have a high graduation rate. Looking forward to league. Go Ags.
  • 69aggie
    Good point on Harris and Murphy. I was going on the stats sheet, not the roster sheet. Movie very good points and I agree. I know we have come a long way since 1983, but I was in NY state when Kenny O’Brian was drafted and read the Times sports headline and on the draft news as well: “Ken Who From Cal Where?” Is seared into my mind. I was so mad I could spit and I did. I said I’ve seen him play and he is good. I was in an upstate bar and had to get outta there pronto or I was going to get really f. . . .ed Up by about 20 drunk and very angry up-staters. So, maybe I still have a bit of an sensitivity problem about our sports stature?
    So I say lets go to another topic that I used to really enjoy. The UC Davis Dance Team! I have not been to a game in five years and the BW TV usually cuts out the halftime shows that I have seen. How are they now? They used to be world class or I should say, one of the best teams in the country at any level.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!