• BlueGoldAg
    Now that the majority of recruits have already made their verbal commitments, I was wondering if coaches will still be contacting those recruits and making home visits in an effort to get them to change their minds? I know we have had a few recruits change their minds at the 11th hour in the past.
  • movielover
    I really hope that Coach Tucker can keep the JC pipeline open for us in the coming years.
  • aggie6thman
    I would assume they are calling and visiting until the very last minute to prevent any defections. Nothing is final until the fax rolls into the football office!
  • CA Forever
    Anthony Quintana has committed to Southeastern University.
  • Central coast93446
    The star rating doesn't hold a lot of weight with me. Look at last years super bowl,there was only a hand full of players that were 4,5 stars out of high school.
  • CA Forever
    Welcome to the boards, Central Coast. I agree with you in a sense. Projecting long term, from high school to the NFL, the star system doesn't hold a lot of weight. From high school to college, however, I think there is some validity there.

I mean, for instance, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, ect. are all made up of almost exclusively of 4 and 5 star athletes. Davis gets mostly 2 star and unranked athletes and a couple of 3 stars thrown in. We've never gotten anywhere close to a 4 star athlete.
  • CA Forever
    K Max O'Rourke has committed to UCD!! GO AGS!
  • CA Forever
    City College of San Francisco RB Namane Modise has received an offer from UC Davis. I wouldn't mind getting a Gabe Manzanares from them again.

Named Offensive Player of the Year, 1st Team All-Conference RB
  • Thetoe
    This is an insane number of commits. I am curious to know how many of these commits are preferred walk ons. Or did we see a significant number of player leave the program as a result of the coaching change?
  • CA Forever
    Most all of our commits posted on social media about receiving offers from Davis before they actually committed to play. To me that means scholarship and not necessarily preferred walk on, although I'm sure we will have some of them. I'm sure that some players have chosen to not continue with the program, I would be shocked if we retained all of our current players.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Rivals shows that Namane Modise is verbally committed to Southeastern Louisiana...??
  • CA Forever
    Yep, that SELA offer was the only other one I was able to find as well. Not much of a move from SF to Davis.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I just edited my previous post since I saw that Rivals has Modise committed to Southeastern Louisiana.
  • CA Forever
    Yes I also saw that. On Twitter he has stated that he is not committed anywhere and that that is a mistake.
  • CA Forever
    I just went back and took a 2nd look at the tweet I was talking about. He actually said he hasn't signed anywhere which is different from saying he isn't committed. I'm not sure, we'll see in a couple of days I guess.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Well...could we possibly be trying to get him to change his mind...?? Do coaches make offers to kids who have already made a verbal commitment?
  • CA Forever
    Yes, it happens all the time that programs offer kids who are already committed. It seems like we are trying to land a last minute RB. We've put out offers late to Modise and Demercado. I'm fairly sure Nevens is going to go SJSU.
  • CA Forever
    In reference to Namane Modise, I went back and looked on twitter and apparently he did commit to SELA, but he has since deleted the tweet where he announced. There are a lot of retweets on his account congratulating him on committing to SELA from around Dec 10th, but the tweet that he was retweeting at the time is no longer available... so deleted. Take that as you will I guess.

His account also doesn't have any mention of being a SELA commit or anything like that in the profile.
  • movielover
    Yes, 24 commits and we are still actively chasing a few more.

I can't imagine a large number of defections with the excitement and momentum we have. Maybe a couple ... possibly some partial scholarships spread out?

At RB it looks like we currently have Kelley and possibly 3 walk ons?
  • NewGuy
    Not certain how FCS works, but the JC transfers could be using some scholarships available (on the books but not currently assigned) from prior classes, e.g., 2018, 2019 and/or 2020 graduating classes.
  • movielover
    This year will be very interesting. Hawk clearly wants options at QB, and the JC signers seem to show he wants immediate progress. It sounds like they'll have a lot to learn.

We seem to have lost some size on the DL?
  • CA Forever
    We also have Justin Williams at RB, he wasn't a walk on... at least I'm pretty sure he was a scholarship athlete. In this upcoming class we have committed RB Tehran Thomas, who was a wildcat QB in high school, and ATH Jordan Perryman, RB was one of the many positions he played (not sure if he is actually committed to play RB). I think our size at DE is fine, we have lost some size in the middle though.
  • movielover
    My bad, too early. We also have Layton.
  • CA Forever
    Yeah I wasn't sure if Layton was scholarship or not. Anyway, Hawk clearly wants to land another RB before all is said and done.
  • movielover
    He seems to have added lots of athletic, interchangeable players.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Nick Ford 6'5 270 OL from San Pedro has narrowed his 21 offers to 4 big boys: Cal, Colorado, Utah and Washington. https://twitter.com/FearThat55?lang=en
  • CA Forever
    We've been out of that race for a long time. Same with Jojo Falo and Andrew Nichols on the other side of the ball. They have all had Davis at the "No Interest" level on the recruiting sites for a long time now. Just haven't moved them on the list because they haven't actually committed somewhere yet. Maybe that will be a category I add for the recruiting list next season, so we would have: Committed, Offers (broken down by position), No Interest, and Committed Elsewhere.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Those are good ideas. Regardless, you've done a great job here keeping us up to date on our recruiting as best as can be found out. (Y)
  • BlueGoldAg
    Another thought: Once we actually have the LOI's signed and the 2017 class is in, I think it would be interesting to see the schools that each player had offers from and chose UCD over. I've noticed that quite a few schools do that when they post player bio's on sighing day. It's kind of like a feather in the school's hat to say this player chose UCD over these 9 schools etc.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!