• NewGuy
    Great get indeed! It's my belief Davis lead Princeton until the firing of Gould (and staff). This weekend's visit was obviously impressive enough to "flip" him back. Kudos to the coaches, players (hosts) and staff.
  • CA Forever
    LB Tysyn Parker has updated his twitter profile to say "Sacramento State Commit" but hasn't tweeted about it at all. Had offers to FBS, Ivys, and top notch Big Sky schools... and he chose Sac. To each their own I guess.
  • movielover
    Does this current total for recruits sound right?

22 commits
    2 3-star commits
    13 2-star commits
    4 Jucos transfers

Impressive.

Updated Thursday 10:20 AM.
  • CA Forever
    Without actually looking at the list that sounds about right. There are probably others that we don't know about too (haven't said anything on twitter/recruiting websites, preferred walk ons, ect.) All in all, if all of these guys do sign, then we have added significant pieces on both sides of the ball.
  • movielover
    Yes. And I believe 2 of the Jucos players have 3 years eligibility.

Skill players on O must be excited bc if we do go uptempo, we run a lot more plays.
  • CA Forever
    It will be interesting to see what the coaching staff puts together for the offense. All starter spots are up for grabs this year. The QB battle will definitely be interesting. Before Gould was let go CJ basically had the spot wrapped up, but now with a JC transfer and a couple of incredibly athletic freshman coming in he will be feeling the heat.
  • CA Forever
    LB Nate Shepherd has received an offer from UC Davis. GO AGS!

• movielover
    State champs, 15-1. And he "liked" the Logan verbal. Let's roll.

FYI, coaches Jack, Brady and Brown are in SoCal "grinding". Go Ags!

One of our best recruiting classes, or just a Twitter / AST effect?
  • CA Forever
    Tough to answer your question. I think we definitely added some skill but some players translate that you didn't necessarily expect to and other you expect to do well fall flat. We added a lot of speed at the WR position.

Our recruits are definitely getting more exposure with the rise of twitters role in athletics.
  • movielover
    Coach Creighton also a "Recruiting Maniac".

Two recent recruits both post pics with metallic helmet.

MBB HC Jim Les once mentioned that we lacked 'eye candy'. I think recent posts show that Mondavi Theatre helps , and I believe the revamped MU may also help (after we blew the last remodeling). ... I also thought I heard there were plans for a new "pub" where the old Coffeehouse was located.
  • Thetoe
    There is a "buzz" about the Hawk, the new staff and the direction of the program among Bay Area high School coaching staffs.
  • CA Forever
    That's great to hear. Now we need to back up the buzz with results.
  • CA Forever
    Did we ever find out if DE Joey Berzins committed? I thought somebody said awhile ago that they had heard through the grapevine that he did, but he never tweeted about it or put it up on recruiting websites. He's been retweeting all of the Aggie football news (commits and offers, ect.) and he has a little horse emoji in his profile, but that is all I can find.
  • movielover
    Great to hear! Go Ags!
  • SFAGGIE
    Berzins confirmed according to his HS teammates and staff. Heard a couple Davis coaches stopped by Campo this morning as well. Maybe they weren't sure if he was still committed either???
  • movielover
    Toe, I have a practical question for you. Say we have 6 offers out for DBs, and we land 3 ... and that's all we need ... do we rescind the offer to the other three? Just wondering how that works in the real world. Thanks.
  • Thetoe
    i NO!! f you offered 6 players, whether they are DBs or other positions, you honor the offer(s). U Conn recently rescinded an offer to kid and is getting hammered in the press. Think about the loss of trust and credibility that program now has with future recruits. I am certain Hawk has a very good idea of the "needs." Looking at the list of Commits, its clear this staff sees our biggest need is QB. Another thing that sticks out is the speed/athletes. The WRs are listed 6'0 and 5'10, which probably means they are a little smaller. This points to speed. I am VERY excited for next season.
  • CA Forever
    Looks like we aren't in OL Micah Vanterpool's top 3

• CA Forever
    DB Amir Knox has announced that he has decommitted from Davis and is reopening his recruiting... alrighty then. I'm sure that the coaching staff isn't happy about this.
  • movielover
    OK. But what about the math? If we signed 6 DBs, we would run out of grants. We could theoretically sign 30 or 35 players, with only 25 to give. You get my drift?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I have the same question. It seems that it is necessary to put out a lot more offers than you have scholarships since you are not going to land everyone you offer. But, say you need 3 DB's and put out 7 DB offers in hopes of landing 3. Then what happens all of them accept? Now you have 4 less total scholarships to go around to fill other position needs. How do the coaches manage that something like that so that they get their needs filled at all the necessary positions?
  • CA Forever
    Update on Amir Knox... he appears to have deleted the tweet in which he announced his decommitment. I don't know what's going on there.
  • Davisbear
    The coaches probably tell them that they have 3 spots and have made 6 offers, if you wait too long the offer may no longer be there In the case of the UConn kid, he was committed and they were committed to him, then they dropped him at the last minute. Not the same situation.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Wow...sounds like the young man is very undecided...
  • CA Forever
    I mean, somebody other than Amir may have put that up on his account without his knowledge? Just 1 theory. He took it down fairly quickly after it was originally posted. I'll keep my eye out on what he is doing, but at this moment I guess he is still committed.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I hope so. He seems like a really solid young man and a great athlete as well.
  • movielover
    I'm sure some of it works itself out. Coaches probably know 1 or 2 offers are a long shot, and / or a young man sees they have signed 2 kickers, and they lean somewhere else. ...but still, it could create issues. Redshirting would help.
  • Thetoe
    I understand the hypothetical question but I don't think it works. A college staff would have a better feel where a student athlete is leaning. If you offered 6 DBs but 3 of them are four star recruits, with current offers from power 5 teams (a common Gould practice) then the offers make sense. But, if more commit than you have schollie's, I guess you offer preferred walk-on or grey shirt and enroll in the spring. The reality is FCS offers are nice but players will always hold out for a D-1 offer.

I am curious to see if Hawk honors a couple of offers Gould made to players whose only offer came from Davis. There are two in particular.
  • CA Forever
    QB Jalani Eason has announced his top 2 choices are UCD and Portland State. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes PSU because of how QB heavy our class is already. I don't think PSU has any QBs committed. He is making his announcement Sunday.
  • movielover
    The twitter accounts I see seem to show the last entries in 2014.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!