• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies get a chance to win "a big one" tonight at 7 pm in the Pavilion when UC Irvine comes to town. Irvine is currently sitting atop the Big West standings tied with Hawaii at 4-1. The Aggies, who have lost 3 of their 5 conference games by a total of 11 points, are currently tied for 4th with Santa Barbara and Long Beach and they have lost both of their home conference games so far this year.

The Aggie defense is generally stellar once they gets going but we have gotten off to slow starts with turnovers, defensive breakdowns and poor shooting in our conference losses at home this year. On the other hand, we have played well on the road winning at Long Beach and CSUN and losing a heartbreaker on a 3 pointer with 3 seconds to go in Hawaii. Which Aggie team will show up tonight is the big question? Will we come out with energy and be the aggressor with hard-nosed defense, working hard on the boards and winning the 50-50 balls or will we see another slow start where TO's and defensive breakdowns put us in an early hole and leads to poor shooting?

Live stream from Big West TV and the radio PxP by Scott Marsh on The Answer 1380 AM at 7 pm tonight.

Current Big West Standings

unysxrdfp3778qdp.png

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    Irvine's size will be a big problem for us. they have been winning the rebound battle 41-32 for the season (not sure the Big West breakdown). we'll have to be lights out from beyond the arc to pull this one out.
  • madcityscott
    The Anteaters’ coach would make an effective foghorn. Booming voice.
  • Toke69
    UCI up 43-27 at the half. Anteaters hitting shots at a 61% rate. This does not look good at all.
  • madcityscott
    That’s the first time I’ve seen a half court shot attempt that failed to reach the top of the key.
  • DrMike
    We’re not getting killed on the boards as I feared; maybe cuz they are shooting 61%? Printup reappears. Maybe to give us some length.
  • madcityscott
    The worst part is Irvine shot only 1 of 7 behind the arc. If they improve to even average it’s going to very hard to overtake them.
  • madcityscott
    Not Neufeld’s best game.
  • DrMike
    he looks like he’s lost all confidence. Such a change from the early games
  • Toke69
    Yes, Neufeld was pretty much a non-factor in Hawaii.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We got beat by a much better basketball team tonight. We did not play our best, for sure, but we don't have the overall talent, especially the kind of talented big men, that Irvine has. I know Les feels the team is letting our opponents come into our house and get into a rhythm and take over the game. There is some truth to that but we don't match up well with teams that have talented big men. Chima was the last dynamic big man we've had that could really take over in the paint. Until Les recruits some talented big men we'll continue to lose more often than not to teams with talented posts and power forwards.
  • madcityscott
    Anyone know what the next recruiting class looks like? Any hope for some difference-making big men?
  • BlueGoldAg
    We have 2 players who are currently redshirting and one other commit. Wesley Harris is a 6'6 So from Phoenix and Aaron Murphy is a 6'6 Fr from Modesto. Both of them are redshirting this season. We also have signed Caleb McGill from Aurora, Colorado, and he is 6'7. Oliver Gerhke from Sweden has left the team and he was 6'7. So we have 3 forwards coming in but no really big power forwards or posts at this time. It seems that well over half of the offers Les gives out are to guards.
  • movielover
    Was the high shooting percentage partly attributable to 6'9" and above players posting up 6'6" forwards & wing players?
  • DrMike
    I think we take the contributions of guys like Adenrele and Goode for granted. They were both very good and physical inside defenders, who contributed on the offensive end without scoring much. I think we saw Printup last night because he provides some of that defensive toughness.

I’ve heard we’re high on the radar of a grad transfer mid major big man.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I've got to think you're right about a grad transfer. There's no way that we head into next year with just Koehler as a proven big man. Even if Murphy and Harris contribute, that still leaves us severely undersized. We are losing 4 players, plus the scholarship from Gerhke, and only added so far one player, which means we have 4 spots left (unless they give a scholarship to a current walk-on like Shaw). Hopefully we get multiple big guys.

It was good to see Printup out there, and he does work hard on defense, and hit a 3. But it seems unfair of Les to not even play the guy a minute for many weeks then expect him to play great against UCI. You KNOW you are going to need his help so give him minutes here and there (of course, this is assuming he wasn't injured). I know a lot goes into the rotation that I don't see, it's just frustrating to watch.

Lot of pressure to win on Saturday. Have to stay out of that 9th spot!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Adenrele and Goode were, as you said, very good defenders inside and good rebounders but neither were an offensive threat. Printup is a tough defender too but he's only 6'4 and even Moneke was only 6'6 but he had incredible quickness and leaping ability. So size isn't everything when it comes to and interior presence but athletic size is a big plus.

I'll take an athletic, quick 6'6 player like Chima anyday over a static, slow 7 footer. This year Neufeld and Koehler are our only 2 big men at 6'11 and 6'7 respectively and neither are that quick or have great leaping ability. Irvine outscored us 40-12 in the paint last night. Collin Welp 6'9 is an outstanding player and Tommy Rutherford at 6'8 and 240 has been punishing us for 4 years. Les recruited Rutherford also.

Irvine has a history of good big men and the top Big West teams this year have a strong inside presence. Santa Barbara has Amadou Sow 6'9 235, Hawaii has 3 seven footers and Raimo who's a beast with an inside/outside game, and CSUN has Lamine Diane and, although he's only 6'7 and 205, he plays much bigger and is arguably the best player in the league.

We have been a guard dominated team during the Les era here and he's had success with that formula but our lack of an interior game has really been apparent last year and this year though. When the better defensive teams lock down on our guards, clog up the lane and contest our 3's, it spells trouble for us. We can't depend on Gonzalez to catch fire every night and Mooney is currently in a bit of a shooting slump. Manjon and Pepper have been stepping up too but our weaknesses in the paint on both ends of the floor is making things tough for us.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Any insight on who the possible grad transfer is and where he might be coming from?
  • Toke69
    The big man who did the most damage was Collin Welp (whose father, Christian, I saw play at the U. of Washington and went to the NBA), bu the starting big men, did not score inside so much as they hit the boards. I wonder why Welp doesn't start. He lead UCI in rebounds and was second in scoring.
  • DrMike
    no real info. Just something I heard.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!