• CA Forever
    Cody Hawkins states that the next QB hasn't been selected yet, but gives a quick run down on the candidates...

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/its-not-for-lack-of-qbs-that-aggie-football-goes-forward/
  • agalum
    I really liked Trent Tompkins HS tapes. That guy just seems to make something happen. Hoping we get some mobility in QB this time around.
  • CA Forever
    Agreed. When I watch the highlights of guys when I'm putting the recruiting lists together I noticed that Tompkins just seems to have the it factor. Maybe doesn't have the biggest arm, but he's quick, elusive, and just seems to find that open guy. No one really has any college game tape on any of our guys, so I imagine in true Hawkins fashion we won't know who's starting until game day.
  • Zander
    One could argue that true Hawkins fashion would be to list three starters on game day and then swap QBs in the red zone lol
  • agalum

It worked for a few games but then everybody including the water boy knew when we were going into the mad cow playbook. But Hawk is masterful at using talent in the right position. It’s getting close fellas!
  • CA Forever
    Has anyone heard anything through the grapevine? Wouldn't surprise me if Rodrigues had a leg up simply due to experience and playtime albeit extremely limited FCS experience.
  • DrMike
    Sounded like coming into camp Rodrigues and Hastings were ahead of the pack. Tompkins got very muscular. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him moving around the field as a slot receiver, or wildcat, a bit like we did with Spencer a couple years back.
  • fugawe09
    Is it most likely that a decision is made in the next few days and that's the guy, or we likely to see multiple guys get some reps this spring before settling on someone for the fall? Would we potentially see one person leading this spring and someone else for the fall if there is renewed competition over the summer? There is technical skill and then the intangible of personal leadership. I remember I think Biggs tried a co-quarterback thing at some point in the 90s and it didn't work very well.
  • CA Forever
    Yeah I think if you are fielding multiple "starting" quarterbacks, you really have no starting quarterbacks. You have to pick a guy, but also be able to objectively look at a situation and make a change if things aren't coming together.
  • CA Forever
    I think when you try a wildcat gimmick you have to trust the guy to be able to make throws too. It seems all too common when teams attempt to run a wildcat player outside of the starter it becomes too predictably a run. You have to at least put a little bit of fear in the defense that they might get beaten over the top.
  • Riveraggie
    The enterprise no longer shows the article. Wow, finally a bit of coverage and it disappears before I can read it.
  • agalum

Strange. I saw it this morning and now, as you point out, its gone. Too much inside info?
  • CA Forever
    Strange. Not the first time that's happened. I remember an article in the past that had Plough talking about offensive schemes that later got removed. You would think that if you're talking to a reporter from the paper there's a fair chance it's for an article.
  • Riveraggie
    Any memorable points ?
  • movielover
    The Steelers in the 70s had Bradshaw & Joe Gilliam, backed up by Hanratty? Bradshaw states that Gilliam was the better QB, but racial threats and pressure got to him, and he eventually turned to drugs.

Hawkins may already have a starting QB.

I loved Maier. But at the Cal game a wide receivers parent bent my ear, arguing JM couldn't throw the deep ball. I noted our O line probably couldn't give him the tome needed, and possibly dropped an extra man into coverage.

Time for 2 new coordinators to step up.
  • CA Forever
    It was basically just a short quote about each guy. Nothing really indicative of who was starting. C. Hawkins said that he is very very impressed with Tompkins (second very in italics), called Hastings extremely competitive in nature, Rodrigues the old vet in the room, etc. It seemed like coach speak, but clearly something didn't go over well
  • Riveraggie
    Maybe it is not anything he said but the fact he said anything,
    Or maybe other candidates are still in the running and their omission from mention was unintentional.

Does anyone think our QB choice makes a difference to the opponent preparation? None of our QBs have played more than a few snaps if that, so I wouldn’t think it would make a difference which 6’1” or so mobile QB we chose to start.
  • CA Forever
    Could be that he spoke in general. He gave a blurb about every QB on the listed roster, so only omission would be potential walk ons that haven't been listed.
  • Riveraggie
    Tompkins may have got very muscular but he’s still listed at 200 as he was as a freshman. I spot checked various positions using the historical tab and their weights never changed. How many people weigh the same over the years between 18 and 21?
  • DrMike
    I saw him last February at the team banquet and he was not built like the other QBs!
  • Riveraggie
    Thanks for the update.
    The article lists Tompkins as 6’ 220, up 20lbs from his roster weight.

I liked Cody’s tone, saying he’s going to be collaborating with the other coaches, several of whom have been offensive coordinators. I think that’s a positive.
  • 69aggie
    I seem to recall that Tompkins does not need to use the laces on the football to pass it effectively. Unique talent, if true.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!