• BlueGoldAg
    I saw this. We lost a very good one to the Pilots.
  • PortlandAggie
    MATT NEUFELD TRANSFERS TO UC DAVIS BASKETBALL
    Former Saint Louis, and Team Canada post player is final member of the Aggies’ incoming class

www.ucdavisaggies.com

Coming out of High School
  • tokyoag
    Looks like Coach Les is planning on bringing in another guard, Bryan Alberts, a 6'5" 198lb former Gonzaga PG. He's a graduate transfer but still has two years of eligibility--- enough time to finish a Master's degree.

"Alberts announced last month that he was leaving the Zags in hopes of finding more action and a wider role somewhere else. The search has so far taken him on visits to Weber State, UH, Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara. Word is that he also might work in a visit to UC Davis or save one in the event an 11th-hour opening occurs at a Power Five school."

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sports/local-sports/lewis-uh-men-s-basketball-crossing-fingers-hopes-key-addition 

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/bryan-alberts
  • BlueGoldAg
    Nice find, tokyoag, but Alberts looks like a long shot at best for several reasons. First, I'm not sure we even have a 2017 scholarship available at this point to offer to him and, secondly, it appears that, at this point, he is only considering a visit to Davis. Hawaii is recruiting him heavily and he already has visited other schools so we're late to the party. Since Alberts would be a graduate transfer, he would be able to play immediately and, according to a recent article on the Aggie sports website, it was stated that the 2017 MBB recruiting was finished.

If we do have a 2017 spot available he would be quite a get for the Ags. A player of his calibre paired with the exceptional talent of Chima Moneke would give the Ags a great one-two punch.

BTW, the Hawaii Tribune-Herald link you posted does not open but I found the article content here:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?60688-Nice-article-of-Bryan-Alberts-in-Honolulu-Star-Advertiser
  • tokyoag
    I also figured it's a long shot. It's mostly wishful thinking since most of our PG are shorter than 6 feet (no disrespect) and he's 6'5!

By the way, thanks for posting the link. Maybe they decided to take down the article from Hawaii Tribune-Herald since a fan from their "Big West brethren" took notice.
  • movielover
    If Les can land him, he'll find a 'creative' way to find a spot.
  • PortlandAggie
    Hmmm ... Jonah Underwood in on the roaster:
    http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ucda-m-baskbl-mtt.html

6'9 PF out of San Jose CC

• DrMike
    looks like he won't be intimidated by big crowds!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Jonah Underwood looks like a great pick up for the Aggies. He struggled in his first year at SJCC but really came into his own in his sophomore year. He averaged 20.2 ppg and 10.7 rebounds per game while shooting 48.3% from the field and 76.8% from the line last season. He is also touted as a great defender and was 2nd in the state with 68 blocks last season. We all know that Coach Les builds his teams around defense first and foremost so Underwood should fit right in and could fill the shoes of Lawrence White as an outstanding defender while bringing some offensive help as well.

The California junior college basketball blog, Signal the Light Basketball, selected Underwood to their 2nd Team All Northern California Team and had this to say about him:

"Jonah Underwood “6-9” San Jose, CA sophomore (San Jose): The “6-9” sophomore had a standout season for the Jaguars averaging 20.2 points and 10.7 rebounds last season. Underwood had a season high of 37 points against Monterey on January 6th, the “6-9” sophomore scored in double figures in 23 games and he scored over 20 points thirteen times last season for the Jaguars. Underwood had 13 double doubles and the sophomore posted a season high 18 rebounds against Los Angeles Pierce on December 28th. Underwood averaged a double double on the season and was one of the elite big men in the state as Underwood was second in the state in blocks as the big man recorded 68 on the season."

http://signalthelightbasketball.com/nor-cal/copeland-norcal-state-player-of-the-year/

There's more good news for the Ags also. Another UC Davis transfer, G TJ Shorts from Saddleback CC, was named by STLB as their Southern California Player of the Year:

"T.J. Shorts “5-10” sophomore Tustin, CA (Saddleback): The UC Davis signee had a standout season for the Gauchos despite an early exit from the post season. Shorts was a big reason why Saddleback was an elite team and had a solid showing this season. Shorts averaged 16.8 points, 5.6 assists and 4.7 rebounds for the 24-5 Gauchos. Shorts shot 48% from the floor and shot 75% from the line in the 2016-2017 season. The “5-10” point guard scored in double figures 25 out of 29 games and had a season high 33 points against Riverside on December 9th. Shorts scored over 20 points eight other times during the season and had 11 assists against Cypress on January 18th. In his career at Saddleback Shorts scored 895 points, had 278 assists and pulled down 265 rebounds in 62 games."

http://signalthelightbasketball.com/so-cal/charlens-coach-year-2016-2017/

Coach Les and his staff have done a great of recruiting this year. They have brought in solid mix of young and experienced talent and it will be fun to watch this team take shape this fall. Last year's team had a special chemistry that was paramount to their success. Chima Moneke, Siler Schneider and Garrison Goode will now need to step up as leaders to help this team come together emotionally and physically. It will probably take some time to get everyone on the same page but talent is there and the future looks promising.

Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Interesting that this one comes on board relatively late in the recruiting game. I think, when Neufield signed, that the article said that the 2017 class was completed. Interesting...but whatever happened, this team is really shaping up. Should be a fun year!

Go Ags!
  • movielover
    Good size. Will he play this year?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Coming from the JC ranks, he should be eligible to play. Of course, Les has the option, like he did with Chima a few years ago, to red shirt him for a year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was surprised to see Underwood on the roster also. I thought the recruiting was done for the year.

I couldn't find much recruiting info on Underwood but I did see that, back in February, he tweeted that he had not committed yet anywhere and that Pepperdine was his first offer. As you said, maybe he'll red shirt...??
  • movielover
    I'm wondering if we have an open slot.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I'm not sure what the active roster limit is. Right now, we have 16 on the roster, but at least two, Gonzalez and Newfeld have to sit out due to transfer rules. That brings us down to 14, and I assume that Nelson sits out due to his knee injury (that's just a guess).
  • AggieMWfan
    Kehei Clark --MVP of Nike Tourney. This UCD commit just lit up ESPNU and won the NIke AAU tournament. Totally controlled the game and was named game MVP. The UC Davis mentions and Coach Les were numerous. What a huge get for Coach Les. Great player.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Jonah Underwood, the 6'8 forward transfer from San Jose City College has been officially announced and is eligible to play this fall. In starting all 24 games last season for SJCC, he averaged 20.2 points, 10.7 rebounds and 2.8 blocked shots per game while shooting .483 from the floor. He was ranked #2 and #5 in the state in blocks and rebounds per game and had a triple double against Monterey Peninsula College with 15 points, 14 rebounds and 10 blocked shots. Underwood also comes to Davis with a 4.0 gpa.

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080317aab.html
  • quadshock
    Hey someone from the Bay!
  • movielover
    Great news! Go Ags!

He also had an outside game?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!