• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies begin the 2023-24 season tomorrow at 6 pm when William Jessop comes to Davis. The Ags are 5-0 all time versus William Jessop. The most recent game was a 95-62 win back on December 4, 2020. The game will have free admission to all fans and there will be also be live TV coverage on ESPN+.

The Warriors are coming off two close wins on Friday and Saturday: 83-82 (2OT) over Montana State Northern and a 61-58 win over Southern Oregon. Myles Corey 6'0 G is leading the team with 18.3 ppg and Anthony Enoh 6'7 F is averaging 12.7 points and 10 rebounds per game.

Their new Head Coach is Mark Darnell who spent 5 years on the Aggies staff under Jim Les as the Director of Basketball Operations from 2010-15. The Warriors are always athletic and play hard.

The Aggies are led by guards Elijah Pepper and TY Johnson who are the combined, highest scoring, returning backcourt in the nation. It will be great to see the new Aggies in action also.

New this year is a digital program for each game that can be downloaded with lots of information about the Aggies and their opponents:

https://ucdavisaggies.com/documents/2023/11/6/Nov._6_MBB_Program_Jessup.pdf

Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Looks like Mani is street clothes. No noticeable limp or brace so hopefully it’s a short term thing. We need his size
  • Toke69
    I think we have played this team several times before. Have we ever lost or even come close to losing? In 2020 we defeated them 95-62.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Looks like we’ll be lucky to get 500 fans tonight.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Small ball tonight for sure.
  • AggieFinn2
    Lets go, Warriors ..because predictable match-ups are dull.
  • Toke69
    Jessup has an advantage in having played twice already while the Ags are still sanding off the rust and it shows early on.
  • AggieFinn2
    Darn, UCD is coming back !
  • Toke69
    Pepper is 3/6 from 3. The rest of the team is 0/7. At least they've forced 19 turnovers (but have given up 12). We need to expect this kind of game early in the season, but the fact that TY got 3 earl fouls continues a problem he had last year.
  • movielover
    Halftime: 36-30

They shot 50%, we shot 40%. Pepper has 19 points and is our leading rebounder.

Is WJ - Academy of Art level competition?
  • BlueGoldAg
    36-30 Ags at the half. That half was pretty much a mess. No offense other than Pepper with 19 and a press that caused a bunch of TO’s that got us back in the game, it was not good at all. We lack size and presence in the interior.
  • BlueGoldAg
    TY’s 3rd foul was an obvious push with both arms. Totally unnecessary and took himself out of the game. He has to be smarter than that.
  • Toke69
    Academy of Art is an NCAA Div. 2 team in the Pac-West Conference. They should be a step up from Williem Jessup who is in the Golden State Athletic Conference which is NAIA. I think I heard Bob Williams say that Jessup is going to move to Division 2 next year.
  • DaddyAggie
    Is the box score posted anywhere?
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's going to be interesting to see if we can compete with teams that have talented bigs. It looks like we're going to play small so we'll definitely have to shoot better from beyond the arc than 7-27 for 26%. Our defense caused 29 TO's but then we gave the ball away 23 times ourselves.

Positives:
    -Pepper doing what Pepper does...scoring, hustling and creating steals.
    -Adebayo looks like he will contribute more offensively this year. We'll need that.
    -Scrappy defense
    New players show potential:
    -Connor Sevilla has speed and quickness and is quite poised for a true Freshman.
    -Pablo Tamba has some length and looks like a good defender.
    -Drew Carter played only 4 minutes but hit two 3's...he has a beautiful shot...great rotation on the ball and nothing but net.

The game against Pepperdine on Thursday will tell us a lot more.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I was surprised that Sevilla got the minutes in the first half when TY was in foul trouble and Leo needed a break, and not Carter. Could be that his game is still coming along and that he’ll get more time as the season progresses. As you said, he definitely has the outside shot that we need.
  • agalum
    That first half was a nail biter. I’m not sure if the second half turn around was our D or Jessup going cold. First half Pepper had ~19, he was most of our offense until the rest of the guys joined in the second half. But Jessup had 2 previous games under their belt. Maybe the first half for us was ring rust.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    The 3/4 zone press really got Jessup out of their offensive flow. We'll be seeing this from the Ags quite a bit, depending on the opponent.
  • abridge
    If, at 8 1/2 minutes into the game, you had told me the final score I would not have believed you.

Whew - that was a rugged start. But watching the Ags execute the full court defense was quite fun. I'll watch that again later today on ESPN+ (I hope it will be there.) That defensive pressure seemed to completely rattle Jessup, disrupting their offensive flow. They never recovered.

I thought Borra's footwork was vastly improved. He seemed more mobile and more reactive. We'll need all the mobility and height.

I enjoyed watching so many of the players getting floor time. Even during the early phases when the team was still putting itself together on the court Jim Les was moving people in and out. Clearly there are a lot of parts to be assembled with this team. If they can keep the tempo up we might well have a fascinating season.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Both TY and Ade felt the wrath of Les early on. Of course TY got into early foul trouble, but I bet he would have joined Ade on the bench for a lot of the first half regardless. But both, especially Ade, responded with good second halves. I actually think DeBruhl at the point makes the team a better passing/spacing offense. He doesn't have the penetration that TY has, or the speed on the break, but he is definitely a pass first PG.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I watched the replay because I really like to hear Bob Williams comments during the game. His commentary is so insightful and listeners can learn a lot about game and coaching strategies listening to him.

About 10 minutes into the half with the Aggies behind and playing awful basketball, he said, "I expect the Aggies will start to roll in the last 5 minutes of the half and then really take over in the second half as their strength and athleticism wears Jessop down" and that's exactly what happened. He has amazing knowledge and insight about basketball.

He also said that the Aggies will need for Milling to step up offensively in addition to Pepper and Johnson this year. He thinks that it will be interesting to see how Drew Carter develops and mentioned that he is a talented athlete but there are concerns about how he can adapt to the speed college basketball compared to football. Apparently, Jac Mani was injured in a bike crash similar to what happened to Borra last year. He said that those two need to be riding bikes with 3 wheels! :rofl:
  • Toke69
    I need to apologize to William Jessop for misspelling them as "William Jessup" for this entire thread. Having said that, I think this team might be better than expected due to the development of DeBruhl, Borra and Adebayo that was evident yesterday. If Milling can start hitting his jumpers and TY can settle down a bit, this team can make a lot of noise in the Big West.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Big West Conference is getting better and better which is a good thing. The big question to me is how will our continued reliance on being guard heavy be able to match up with the best Big West teams that are bringing in talented big men?

Santa Barbara may have one of their best teams ever as Coach Pasternack continues to bring is highly rated players through the portal that have Power 5 experience. Long Beach is loaded with athleticism and length and Irvine has always been known for developing good big men. CSUN looks to be totally revamped and talented and it looks like Fullerton just reloaded.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!