• BlueGoldAg
    I thought it would be nice to have an ongoing thread where we can post scores and comments for all of the Big West MBB teams and follow their progress throughout the entire season. Feel free to post about other future Aggie opponents also.

Final scores for 11/06:

Cal Poly 80, La Verne (Calif.) 62
    CSU Bakersfield 73, Southern Utah 72
    UC Davis 86, Jessup (Calif.) 51
    UC San Diego 95, Denver 87
    San Diego State 83, Cal State Fullerton 57
    Stanford 88, CSUN 79
    Portland 78, Long Beach State 73

I watched portions of 3 games involving Big West teams after I got home from the Aggie game: Fullerton @ San Diego State, CSUN @ Stanford and LB State @ Portland.

All 3 teams were impressive especially CSUN. The Matadors had a 4 point lead with under 2 minutes to play before fouls and a late Stanford rally pulled the game out for the Cardinal. Fullerton was hanging tough with #17 SD State for the first 30 minutes and LB State is loaded with long, athletic players but they squandered the game away in the final couple of minutes with fouls and TO's. All 3 of these teams feature length and athleticism and all three will be tough match ups for the guard heavy Aggies.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Tuesday, 11/07 games:

Riverside 76 UC Merced 69
    San Jose State 72 Irvine 64
  • Oldbanduhalum
    the Irvine loss seems a bit surprising
  • BlueGoldAg
    I watched a good portion of the game and it was a close battle between to evenly matched teams. Poor 3 point shooting, 2-12, hurt the Anteaters.

Irvine lost their two top scorers from last year via the transfer portal. Their leading scorer, Dawson Baker 15.3 ppg, transferred to BYU and DJ Davis 15.0 ppg transferred to Butler. Both were good 3 point shooters also. They do have a 7'1 post, Brent Leuchten, returning. He led them in scoring last against SJSU and they have a very good looking true freshman 6'4 G from Istanbul, Derin Saran, who showed a lot of talent and poise last night as well.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thursday 11/09 games:

CSUN 76, Idaho 73
    UC Davis 79, Pepperdine 78
    Portland State 82, UC Santa Barbara 76
    USC 85, CSU Bakersfield 59
    Denver 97, Cal Poly 76

I watched the second half of the PSU win at Santa Barbara. I thought that SB would dominate this game especially with the two, highly rated players the got through the portal from Creighton and Auburn. Both teams were impressive with big, athletic players but PSU was clutch down the stretch and hung on for the win.
  • Toke69
    Hawai`i played a very early game against St. Mary's on Oct. 20 and I had no idea it was on. The Gaels pounded UH 92-58, which was a bit surprising since it was in Honolulu and the Rainbow Warriors return 4 starters including their leading scorer, Noel Coleman, and leading rebounder, Bernardo da Silva. Oddly, they don't play again until next Tuesday.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Saint Mary's game was an exhibition game so it won't count against their season record.

Saint Mary's has built a powerhouse program by recruiting heavily in Australia and has now established a yearly pipeline to the best players down under. Their current roster has 5 players from Australian plus a transfer from Utah and Harvard. They don't have rebuilding years anymore, they just reload every year.

Recruiting in college basketball has changed a lot in the past few years. We are seeing more and more programs recruiting internationally especially Europe, Australia and even Africa.

Of course, the transfer portal has also figured largely in the way many programs are now building their teams. Portland State, who just beat Santa Barbara, for example, has 10 transfer players out of their roster of 13 total. It's not all that uncommon nowadays to see players in their senior year who have played at 4 different colleges.
  • movielover
    SMC has an outstanding local guard who was a true freshman last year, but tailed off at year end. Ranked #23 right now, may win the WCC.
  • Toke69
    Yes, I'm familiar with St. Mary's recent dominance (behind Gonzaga) in the West Coast Conference. Still, I don't think they're 34 points better than Hawai`i in Hawai`i. I suspect that Randy Bennett did a better job of getting his team ready for the game than Eran Ganot.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here's a couple more scores of future Aggie opponents:

Utah 82 Riverside 53
    Oregon State 81 Troy 80 (2OT)
    Oregon 75 Montana 61

I watched the second half of the Montana @ Oregon game and the game was much closer than the final score indicates. Montana went toe-to-toe with the Ducks for the first 30 minutes of the game before Oregon's superior size took over. Montana will be a very tough game for the Aggies. They were impressive against Oregon.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Big West Scores for 11/11:

Irvine 91 New Mexico State 74
    Long Beach State 77 DePaul 73
    UC San Diego 63 San Diego 58
    Wyoming 80 Cal Poly 66
    Fullerton 78 La Sierra 48
  • BlueGoldAg
    11/12 Scores:

Portland 76 Riverside 63
  • BlueGoldAg
    11/13 Scores:

UTEP 89 UCSB 76
    Cal 83 Bakersfield 63
    UCSD 116 LaVerne 57
  • BlueGoldAg
    11/14 Games:

Aggies 69 North Dakota State 53
    CSUN 74 Chicago State 64
    San Diego State 88 Long Beach State 76
    Irvine 70 #16 USC 60
    Hawaii 82 Hawaii-Hilo 66

Irvine's upset of #16 USC is a big win for the Anteaters and the conference. It was a very physical game with neither team shooting well and USC was without their #2 & #3 scorers who combine for 35 ppg. Nevertheless, it was an impressive win for Irvine given how big and deep USC is.

Long Beach stayed within reach of a very talented San Diego State team. The Beach has lots of length and athleticism.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here is an eye-popping score from a game between 2 future Aggie opponents:

Nevada 88 Pacific 39 - Nevada was ahead 55-15 at the half and ended the game with a 51-27 rebounding advantage.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    wow. Not a score I would have guessed
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bakersfield 77 St Katharine 44
    Central Florida 72 Fullerton 44
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawaii 92 Niagara 73
  • AggieFinn2
    So the Rainbow Warriors beat the Purple Eagles ? Must have been some colorful exchanges in that game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    North Dakota State defeated Montana 78-69 yesterday in the final game of the Basketball Travelers Mike Montgomery Classic in Missoula. All 3 teams, Aggies, Montana, and NDSU, ended up going 1-1 in the Classic.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Funny, Montana looked so much better than NDSU. One reason why I don't bet on college sports. No telling how a bunch of 20 year olds will play on any given day.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Long Beach State 94 Michigan 86 - huge win for LB and the Big West Conference.
    North Carolina 77 Riverside52
    Cal Poly 61 St Thomas 60
    CSUN 98 Life Pacific 67
    Irvine 111 Occidental 51
  • BlueGoldAg
    11/18 games:

Portland State 73, Cal Poly 57
    UC San Diego 73, Navy 55
  • BlueGoldAg
    11/19 results:

Cornell 88 Fullerton 70
    Cal Baptist 67 Cal Poly 58
    Santa Barbara 96 Le Moyne 72
  • BlueGoldAg
    11/20 results:

Bakersfield 75 Sac State 71
    Fullerton 74 Southern Mississippi 67
    Illinois State 61 Long Beach 52 - big let down for The Beach after their upset win over Michigan.
  • BlueGoldAg
    11/21 results:

Irvine 76 Pepperdine 60
    Long Beach 80 Iona 76
    Riverside 74 Green Bay 68
    Le Moyne 80 CSUN 70
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Interesting Pepperdine UCI score
  • BlueGoldAg
    More BW scores:

Hawaii 70 NAU 61
    Louisiana 92 Long Beach 82
    Tarleton State 59 Bakersfield 40
  • BlueGoldAg
    More 11/22 scores:

Montana State 69 Riverside 68
    Santa Barbara 91 Westmont 29
    Irvine 77 Toledo 71
  • BlueGoldAg
    11/24 Scores:

Irvine 83 Rice 68
    Idaho 73 UCSD 70 in OT
    Hawaii 76 Texas-Rio Grande Valley 57
    CSUN 84 Mississippi Valley State 48
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!