• OldAggie
    I felt like it was a lot like last against EWU (except our success was with the run). We were leading that game at half as I recall, but then EWU exploded and corrected their first half mistakes. However, there is no question I feel the offense is way ahead of last year. I loved the fact we exploited Wes Preece's size, and forced them to mostly single cover Doss. Defensively, I see the same issues at DB with speed (5 was faster than anyone on our roster), and we put zero pressure on the QB in the second half. I think we got too conservative on D too. With that said, we were in that game until the last play against a top 15 FCS team. I think its been a long time since that's happened.
  • DrMike
    the play that REALLY hurt on the last drive was that little swing/outlet pass to Modise that was over his head. He caught it and fell for a 2 yard loss. hit him in stride, he gains several and gets out of bounds (in a perfect scenario). instead, he lost yards and plenty of time. in retrospect, either ground it or let it drop. easy for me to say from the stands (or on Monday).

i think they felt they could quickly exploit the soft prevent to get down the field with short passes and getting out of bounces. a few shots down the field, and you're in a position for a easy field goal or a TD from 15-20 yards out. poorly executed first couple of plays left us with a LONG field goal from a young guy. would have loved to have the ball at the 20 with 2 or 3 shots, and a time out. oh well.
  • agalum
    Was it a N. Colorado game that we won with a hail mary to Bakari Grant? With the quality of Maiers arm and our receivers, that would have been an alternative vs the field goal (and I had the feeling Maier was banged up a bit.). But for all we know, the kicker may have been nailing them in practice. Hawk has us competitive.

Heading to NAU, they look tough and with the elevation, they are tough to beat at home.
  • DrMike
    it was UNC.

one difference between that night and saturday is that we were TERRIBLE vs. UNC and its wasn't clear we deserved a victory. Saturday, we played a solid game that we could/should have won.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    But can we ever be competitive on the road with all the non CA/PSU teams all located at 2,000ft+?
  • movielover
    If we're 2 deep, that should help a little.

Good to see Soph LB Brandon Jamison get a sack.
  • movielover
    HeroSports has an online poll for the FCS POTW. Doss is one of 5 choices, few votes. Here is the link.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs-football/vote-hero-of-the-week-6-2017-cbcb

Can someone in ICA also upload a picture of Doss to their player comparison database? Thanks.
  • NCagalum

My thoughts too. A couple of explosive plays. Generally when you give up more than 40 points, you’re going to lose, but at least the effort was there. O for a couple of Big-time pass rushers.
  • AggieFinn

Looks like the kid from South Dakota had bigger receiving stats in the win vs. Youngstown
  • Aggie57
    DrMike-agree with your comments about clock management at end of game. Lots of time wasted instead of trying to get in closer FG range. And we did same thing at end of first half...not sure what the plan was but clearly didn't work. Had flashback to Cal Poy game last year when we couldn't get kicker on field at the end of first half due to poor clock management. And am wondering why Hawk didn't have kicker Blair come on to try those long FGs as he showed last year he can score from long range. It looked like he was warming up on sideline with couple minutes to go. He was bombing KO's too. In close games we need to be able to kick field goulds longer than 25-30 yards.
  • movielover
    I think our kicker was perfect before Saturday. One kick was blocked.

Frosh K Whelan, 6'5", nailed a 72 yarder in HS, in practice.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, that outlet pass to Modise that got blown up really hurt. I think it's really hard for a player to intentionally drop a pass and Maier was under pressure so he threw it to his final option. It would of been better if he just grounded it or threw it out of bounds but, like you say, that's easy to say from the stands.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think that altitude can be a factor. My wife and I have been in Santa Fe for a few days. The altitude here is 7200 feet and we can definitely feel it. Maybe it doesn't affect young, fit athletes as much but if I had to sprint around for a couple hours at high altitude, I'd probably drop dead.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think it is significant that Ryan Parenteau was out for his second straight game after suffering a concussion on the initial kickoff of the Weber game. That could mean it was a serious concussion and he is still having some lingering effects. I wonder if he is headed for a medical redshirt?
  • movielover
    I'm told he missed passing whatever test they have by a thin margin, so he will be back next game.

This was essentially our first two minute drill under game pressure. We've either won or lost comfortably. Maier, Modise, Tehran, Martin and at least Montgomery all new and most probably not at Spring practice. With the Bye week, I'm sure we'll go over it. Did we run the fly Sat?
  • agalum
    Did we run the fly Sat?

I didnt see it. About the closest to it is when Maier takes the snap, lowers his body, hesitates, then proceeds to the play. I think with the fly the QB turns his back to the defenders.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Didn't we run the fly sweep at least a couple of times handing off to Logan Montgomery?
  • DrMike
    We ran it a handful of times. Second possession of second half, after we ran it every play on the first drive, we ran a nice jet sweep for about 15-20 yards. Called back on hold on opposite side. Seems like first drive was setting that and TE post up. Hold was away from play and didn’t help. That one hurt
  • Zander
    There were several fakes as well. You can see a guy starting to run a sweep on the Doss 1-handed catch replay.

Then again I just assumed any sweep was part of the fly scheme, with no specific requirement on how the QB should move.
  • movielover
    I might have missed a few when I was standing in the concession lines.
  • movielover
    For any high school student athlete who might find this discussion, let's be clear. We've made HUGE strides!

This rivalry with a top FCS team is a perfect example.

Last year we lost to the same team 63-30, a 33 point loss. This past weekend we lose on a last second field goal miss, losing by 3 points. (We missed 3 FGs, total.)

That's a 30 point improvement.

Go Ags.
  • DrMike
    I agree completely. And,the other good sign is that we weren't satisfied with that 30-point improvement. We were disappointed with a loss. at this rate, we beat them by 27 next time up on the red turf. That should turn some heads!
  • movielover
    I wonder if Aaron Moore WR will be back?
145678Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!