• CA Forever
    Credit to Eastern for coming back and getting the win, but I can help but to think this

802.jpg
  • NCagalum

That changed tenor of game. Coaches thought defense could hold more than they did. Against EWU you have to score at every opportunity
  • zythe
    I don’t think running the ball for 100 straight plays helped us either...(ok, maybe 8 straight plays)
  • Russ Bowlus
    Disappointing, particularly since we were leading by 11 at one point, but in the big programmatic picture...I'll take it.
  • quadshock
    Good game but... yeah. Why the burned time outs? Why kick it when the kicker was struggling? Why the same play call twice in a row?
  • NCagalum
    Just had the feeling they had to go up by 1 more score at half or first possession in 2nd half to put enough space in between. Obviously coaches are going to regret the conservative play calling. You can do that against poly but not EWU.
  • CA Forever
    That makes it specifically not okay for me. We had the lead and shot ourselves in the foot. Yes, EWU is very good but too many times we didn't cash in on points and playcalling in the last 2 minutes of both halves was reminiscent of Ron Gould.
  • fugawe09
    Not sure about the official crew tonight. Bad calls and excessive reviews both directions. Do they get a bonus for finding a targeting call? They seemed to really want one.
  • aggies07
    This game should not be lost and kudos to EWU to show this team the difference between good and great team. The play callings in the final minutes convinced me that coach staffs didn't prepare for such scenario (probably never think of going toe to toe against EWU). The kicker is beyond worse (can't kick 40 yards FG) and needs to be replaced if possible (If he made 1 of 2, the game goes to OT).
  • SloStang
    Great game and effort by Davis. You may not have won, but you put the rest of the FCS on notice that there is some big changes happening in Davis.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Total yards: Ags 551 EWU 501

Gubrud 33-53 for 452 and 6 TD's and Maier 33-55 for 367 and 2 TD's

The blocked FG hurt but, even bigger, was the offensive pass interference call on an Aggie receiver away from the play when Doss made a catch down to the 1 yard line. We would have had 1st and goal at the 1.
  • SochorField
    Hate to say it, and hate it when other people say it....but we should have won that game. Ya, I said it. Aggies played a great game. Tough break on that last drive.

Doss is unreal out there.
  • movielover
    So close. So close. Curious play calling to begin the last 1 1/2 minutes. Short plays instead of chunks of 10 and 12 yards. The short plays then required TOs to be used.

The quick long strike to #10 really hurt when we were up 10 or 11.

Where were the students, playing on their phones?
  • aggie6thman
    Disappointing that there was such a big drop off in attendance from the last home game.

It is amazing how anything CLOSE to Doss is either a catch or a near catch. He made some unreal plays on balls that beat him but off target. He is really fun to watch.
  • movielover
    We did win the meaningless TOP by a big margin... we had a choice to go up big... instead, they came back with a 71 yard strike.

We miss Josh Kelly, wow. I guess a moral victory ...
  • agalum
    Why were all the reviews on Aggie plays? With that aside, what a totally fun game day and game! Hung out with Dr and Mrs Mike in the tent (thanks Mike) and missed most of the AST tailgate, but the day was totally fun. 6th and Sochorfield, come back soon!
  • CA Forever
    I would just like to point out that 6 games into the season Keelan Doss is less than 100 receiving yards away from already having a top 10 season. Shoemaker sits at #10 with 924 in the 98 season. Doss currently sits at 870 (Still tops in FCS). I honestly think that Doss could play in the NFL.

School record for receiving yards in a season belongs to Michael Oliva with 1365. If Doss continues on at least his avg of 145 yards per game he shoulder shatter that record.
  • AggieFinn
    What an exciting game. These are the games you are thirsty for if you want to make it at this level. We didn't finish off a few drives, some shoddy special teams work, some penalties at bad times...this is the end result when you aren't as crisp as you need to be against an elite opponent like the Eagles.

Good thing about last night, there wasn't any jaw jacking or sloppy emotional breakdowns, both teams really went at each other and gave 'em everything they had. Darn good football to watch. It's those big explosive plays that seem to keep eating away at us.
  • AggieFinn
    Doss' one handed, extended catch made #6 on SportsCenter's Top 10 last night.
  • agalum
    Totally fun day of football. A little flat in the red zone. Got to convert on those! Give EW credit. Nothing was easy. Doss was in coverage all night, and Maier was under pressure. We also need to do a better job getting to the QB. Very close to winning that one. Go Ags!
  • CA Forever
    I was curious about how Doss' season is stacking up compared to receivers in different divisions. There is only one receiver in all of FBS - D3 that has more yards right now. Savor this while we can because who knows the next time we might see a player of this caliber in Davis.
  • DrMike
    One of the encouraging things is that folk here are disappointed with the loss instead of pointing out the moral victory. Great effort tonight. We made a ton of big plays by many players; in the end they made more. Getting only 3 points off two great int’s hurt. That bomb on the first play after going up 11 was a killer. Gave them life and took the wind out of our sails.

Someone mentioned the end of first half conservative plays. My take? Maier was struggling . I think he was 11-25 and forcing passes. I sense the coaches wanted to get to halftime and calm things down and not risk a turnover and late score especially with them getting second half kickoff.

Probably most entertaining 60 minutes I’ve seen at Aggie Stadium since USD in 2007. Tough one to loss but hard not to feel some optimism for the program. Learn from it and get better.
  • DrMike
    glad you could join us and sorry I didn’t get to spend time with 6th and SF. An old teammate and good friend I haven’t seen in years was up so we spent much of pregame catching up. Getting too old to spend too much time st brewfest so that worked.

I didn’t in’s the targeting reviews. That’s how they cal that . Call it and review cuz you can reverse it. You can’t review a hit and add targeting. On the others? I guess they were warranted but they were so slow! It was like they were using a sketch artist instead of tv replays to make a decision. If it takes that long don’t reverse. Then on that 4th and short that was going to be close, they chatted for minutes on a fast mask. Mark off the 15 and let’s go.

I thought they went overboard when they reviewed Pint fumbling the tee on a kickoff!
  • movielover
    Our unheralded juco players are really contributing. Maier, Moe, Flowers, Modise, Cloud, Martin, O'Brion. Great assessment of needs by coaches.

Thought I saw Logan Montogomery open a few times, one could have been a big gain. Is Aaron Moore ok? We missed RP. That 71 yard strike was a killer. Haven't seen Crawford or Trimble. Rshirting? Looked like a redshirt and staffer walked in front of our kicking team warming up on sideline. Improved concessions, except if it were a sellout they would have been dramatically understaffed.

CJ threw a perfect pass into triple coverage. Is our fly sweep sleeping?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Quote from EWU Head Coach, Aaron Best:

“Davis played a hell of a game. They’re one hell of a team. Mr. (Keelan) Doss and Mr. (Jake) Maier are a deadly combination. We just happened to make one more play than they did. Hats off to Hawkins and his crew. They have a whole lot of good in their future.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies-fall-short-in-aerial-duel-with-eastern-washington/
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Was anyone from AST holding a giant Aggie flag or wearing a blue cape? If so, I think I spoke with you during the post-game band-uh show at the bell. You looked similar to some of the crew I met at a causeway game in Sac a few yrs ago.
  • OldAggie
    Great effort by the men, but I couldn't help but think back when I saw the Prevent Offensive plays calls in the 3rd quarter. Did we really think we would shut them down all game? Two bad picks by their QB at the LOS was the only reason we held them in the first half. The last drive was the worst. Burning two timeouts to get one first down? In any event, I was pleasantly surprised with the fact we were able to score with them. Tough to play D in this conference, but the offense, 90% of it at least, was outstanding. A win this week is vital.
  • zythe
    Is it a bye week?
  • OldAggie
    lol, I meant the next week (NAU). Although we've never lost a bye week.
  • movielover
    I really didn't understand the first few short plays on that drive when we needed at least 10 yards a clip. I think EWU was also in a soft prevent D. Our kicker should have been attempting a 35 yard FG. I didn't feel safe when we were up 11. They can score so damn fast, their offense is "elite".

Way ahead of last year.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!