• DrMike
    I think you overestimate the time needed. We went from a pro style to spread and in one year were at the top tier of offensive rankings. The thing is, almost all high schools are running spread style vs run-dominate schemes, so there are kids you can find (especially at the JC level) who can come in and contribute
  • SloStang
    The biggest difference is the size of the OL. Going from Pro-Style to spread is not as big of a change for the OL as it is for them to go from the Triple Option to a Pro-Style or Spread. We do not have a single OL that is 6’6” or taller and only 3 at 6’5”. We have 11 OL listed at 6’3” or shorter (I bet that number is in reality is higher).
  • CA Forever
    Just out of curiosity, is there a significant contingency of fans that are adverse to the idea of moving away from the TO? Just seems like it would be easier to find coaches and recruits if you were to move to a more traditional offense in today's day and age of football.
  • 69aggie
    SLO, For the record- we also have only 4 OL players at 6’5” or above. I don’t really know what the relevance of this point is. Could you explain?
  • SloStang
    The relevance is that our line is the smallest line in the Big Sky and it is not even close. We only throw 10 to 20 times a game and our smaller linemen are better suited to cut block than pass block. Taller linemen have longer arms and longer arms help keep D-linemen off them in pass blocking. Heavier linemen are less likely to get bull rushed pass blocking.

Also our Slot backs are typically smaller and rarely run between the tackles. They have the speed to get outside, but not the bulk to run between the tackles or pick up blitzing LBs in pass protection.
  • SloStang
    I would say the vast majority of CP fans would like to move away from the Triple Option. I am not one of them.
  • agalum
    seems like any new coach is going to dictate style of play unless the TO is specifically sought by the AD? That would limit the choices. Anyway, please beat Suc.
  • SloStang
    My hope is we would bring back a former OC that has moved on to the FBS. Some candidates are Saga Tuitele at New Mexico, Bryan Cook at Georgia Tech or Juston Wood at Georgia Southern.
  • 69aggie
    SLO, I am not either. The Ags have fought over the years with this new CP threat:”Oh, Gosh we have to deal with CPs option again!” We are about 50-50, over the years, but I always loved the new interesting look of the CP team when they came to Davis. I am an historical guy. Your offense is a direct decedent of the original Red Sanders offense; them Tommy Prothroes, then the other guys went to the “Wildcat” or other derivatives, but your style of offense still harkens back to a great time of college footbal when smaller guys could still win big games. Good luck next weekend..
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!