Colgate @ North Dakota State, 9 am PT, ESPN
    South Dakota State @ Kennesaw State, 11 am PT, ESPN3
    UC Davis @ Eastern Washington, 1 pm PT, ESPN3

Hero Sports - BEST OF QUARTERFINALISTS

tKjj1p8.jpg
    mlIdrEp.jpg

Keelan-Doss-UC-Davis-WR1-1543893156.jpeg
  • agalum
    Maine-Weber sounds like its going to be a really good game. And its going to be on espn2. If you have directv, you can catch it on channel 209. And Colgate-NDSU is on espnhd, channel 206 at 9am. Sorry Big Sky, but go Maine!
  • AggieFinn
    I'm going to be down at Smitty's Bar in Sausalito tonight watching the first half of Maine/Weber. I've got a dinner at 7:00 that I can't skip out of.
  • agalum

Ill text you updates.
  • AggieFinn
    Word on the street is that NDSU Head Coach Chris Klieman is set to take over at Kansas State...
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Ding! Time to book flights to Fargo for September....
  • AggieFinn

Let's coordinate over the Holiday. I also have to get my trip to Sugar Land set up on St. Paddy's weekend.
  • CK2
    Some thoughts on tonight's game....

These two are good at stopping what the other does well. Maine run D is filthy and allows only 74 yards rushing per game (#2 in nation). The only allow 2.25 per carry, #1 in the nation. Weber wants to play power run with Davis (5.6 per carry) to set up the pass. I think Maine can at least limit the rush game tonight if not take it away. The way to go about beating Weber is making Constatine beat you. In the front half of the season, he was definitely more shaky but has settled in nicely and is playing more consistent. Still, the formula here is to put it in his hands and see if he can make enough plays to beat you. If Davis gets going, watch out. But I dont think Maine will allow that to happen

For Maine, it all comes back to their QB Ferguson. He did not play in 2 of their 3 losses and in their final game of the season where they won by 1 points he missed 2/3rds of it. He's by far their best option but he has had a recurring shoulder problem. Looked to be pretty healthy last week and was 14-26 for 159 and 5 td's. They need to have balance to be effective and I'm not sure they'll be able to find it consistently tonight against a very aggressive and athletic Weber defense. If it all falls on Ferguson's shoulder that will be tough but he can make some plays when needed. Watch for the fades downfield tonight when Weber is in man coverage on the outside, Maine loves to throw them 5-10 times a game.

I really like this Maine team and certainly could make a case for them winning here. (I bet them +10) This a tough road game, played at elevation (may not be a huge factor but it is a factor), against a very good defense. Also remember Weber special teams is fantastic too. (I'll get into that more next week when they play UCD). I think we get an nasty physical slug fest played in the 17-20 range with Weber making a few more plays to win a close one by 4. I'll say 20-16.

What if Maine does win tonight though? EWU/UCD plays not for just a spot in the semi finals but to host that game. Hmm...
  • AggieFinn
    Lehigh HC Andy Coen just retired. (not entirely unexpected) They're on the 2019 schedule.
  • AggieFinn
    All defense in Ogden
  • AggieFinn
    Maine's inside DTs are manhandling the Weber OGs

Weber QB getting hammy treatment
  • agalum
    Weber has the better QB. Hard to assess the respective Os with the solid D play from both teams.
  • aggie08
    These defenses are tough as nails. Wow. Impressive
  • AggieFinn

This was the scouting report coming in.

It's obviously very cold out
  • AggieFinn
    Maine inside the 35 now.

3-0 Weber
  • AggieFinn
    Maine is in!
  • OC Aggie
    Assuming the play is confirmed, that was a heck of a reach into the end zone.
  • OC Aggie
    ...and it's 7-3 Maine now.
  • agalum
    Maine is very physical and looks like they mouth off a lot to Weber players.
  • AggieFinn
    They certainly are letting them play
  • AggieFinn

Bronx, Binghamton...Massachusetts boys...they come to play and talk it up.
  • agalum
    Ok ladies. One half down. Forgetting home field advantage, who matches up better with the Ags?
  • OC Aggie
    Maine makes a big run across the field for a TD. 14-3
  • DrMike
    If they officiate tomorrow’s game like this one, our passing game will have a tough time. They’re mugging the WR’s off the line
  • agalum
    I think we are going to be home against Maine.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    TD on 4th down for the Wildcats, missed the PAT - 2-point lead for the Black Bears.
  • agalum
    Crazy, but i actually think we match up better with Weber.
  • NCagalum
    Maine has the better offense. Maine completely shutting down Weber run game and many tackles for loss. I’d say Weber fortunate to be this close - and that due to a Hail Mary on 4th down.
  • NCagalum
    Yah officials don’t look to real decisive.
  • NCagalum
    Home team has no band. Visiting team’s band travels great distance to be at game with decision to go happening only after last weeks victory and due to an anonymous donation. Sound familiar? ...outside of number of donors.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!