• movielover
    From his comments on twitter, I think yes for LM.
  • Riveraggie
    Good. It will be interesting receiver competition if everyone is healthy.
  • movielover
    I wish Aaron Moore was coming back. We miss him.
  • lucche
    And, how about Demario Warren on the ist also. That's 2 Ags out of 35.
  • SochorField
    Something to think about: three out of the four teams in the semi finals have duel threat quarterbacks, and the fourth is a defense first team.
    Aggies were none of the above.

Tompkins could be the X factor we need to get over the hump.
  • SochorField
    Something about coaching in Davis ‍♂️
  • movielover
    For 2 blown calls, we could have broken that pattern.
  • Riveraggie
    whoever takes over at QBs will likely be more mobile than Maier. Let’s let the QBs battle to determine the successor
  • SochorField
    Just for the record, I’m not disparaging Maier at all. He actually has scrambling ability - love his game. He is absolutely 100% QB1 next season IMO.

Really looking forward to seeing Tompkins play a bit in 4 games next year (love that new RS rule).
    Gunner Faulk as well. Lotta quality at QB in the program.
  • movielover
    Err, Hunter Rodriquez threw for 64 yards vs Furd, including a TD, and appears super mobile. And don't forget Brock Johnson and Niko Harris.
  • CA Forever
    Again, Sochor isn't putting any of the other QBs on the roster down, but Tompkins is objectively the most athletic QB we will have had on the roster in a long long time. Maier will start, but I agree that I wouldn't be surprised if Tompkins walked in and was #2 on the depth chart next season... or he might be bottom of the totem pole, you just never know.
  • AggieFinn
    QB Competition is 100% healthy.
  • CA Forever
    Couldn't agree more. Competition at any position is health. Coaches have to put their best players out on the field.
  • movielover
    Agreed. Rodriguez did start 1 year of Juco, like Maier. ... The coaches will have a pretty good idea in practice.

How tough was Tompkins HS league?
  • CA Forever
    These rankings are from maxpreps... but Tompkins team was ranked 14th best in the state... some of their opponent's ranks (all wins minus Folsom)

Folsom (4th in state)
    Liberty (31st in state)
    Bakersfield (47th in state)
    Buchanan (32nd in state)
    Clovis (90th in state)

Far from an easy conference, not quite the strength of some of the private leagues in Southern California though. It should be noted that against Folsom, again ranked 4th in the state, he still threw for close to 500 yards and 5 TDs and added 80 yards rushing. Defense lost Central that game. Some of those were playoff games. Point still stands that he dominated everyone in his path.
  • Riveraggie
    What is the objective evidence that he is the most athletic? Not doubting it but what is the evidence?
  • CA Forever
    I mean, I don't have numbers for you in terms of 40 yard dash times and what not but I've watched tape on all of the QBs on the roster and by my eye none of the rest of them possess Tompkins combination of passing ability, scrambling, elusiveness, ect.

Now I could be wrong, there's a lot I don't know about these kids... but I've been following the recruiting stuff for a while now and I haven't seen us get anything quite like him before. Backed up by articles stating he would be getting BIG TIME offers if he was an inch or two taller.
  • 69aggie
    We’ve had some very good “smallish” QBs in the past. A kid by the name of Peterson comes to mind. Not the biggest guy physically, but had great vision and mobility, not to mention knowledge of the game which has served him well since playing. Been said his play in defeating Pacific a few decades ago was a big factor in them dropping football.
  • CA Forever
    Looking at rosters over at least the last 10 years, Maier is one of the shortest QBs we've had in that time period and he took us to the quarterfinals in the playoffs. The all-time leader in passing yards in the NFL is a "short" QB. If you can ball, you can ball and I'm honestly surprised that coaches aren't becoming more receptive to that.
  • agalum

I think Maier partially adjusts by dropping back 5 yards or so. This helps him gain some visibility over taller guys on the D line.
  • Riveraggie
    Unless I’m mistaken all our QBs are 6’ to 6’2” with most being 6’ , so if he’s truly 5’11”, big deal no big deal.
  • lucche
    I do remember a QB by the name of Khari Jones who had the ability to run and throw. He just didn't run as it seemed he was always looking downfield.
  • CA Forever
    NDSU just announced a big time QB transfer from Iowa State. Kid threw for 360 yards on Oklahoma... well I guess that helps replace Stick.
  • AggieFinn

Zeb Noland? A Georgia boy looking for a place to get snaps. Sounded like he was performing at a high level, but just wasn't getting the playing time. With Wentz being taken No. 2 Overall, and with the prolific work by Stick, you have to think Fargo is an enticing option for a QB on the lookout for playing time. Noland had scholarship opportunities at Appalachian State, Colorado State and Toledo. 6'2" and 220 lbs.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/football/2018/10/29/iowa-state-cyclones-zeb-noland-transferring-matt-campbell-brock-purdy-kyle-kempt/1804912002/

#4 QB @ Baylor
  • agalum
    Cal and TCU kicking off shortly. Havent watched a cal game all season. Maybe get an inkling of what we can look forward to late August.
  • DrMike
    Tough defense; mediocre offense. QB is not great. Surprising that Dikes (mispelled on purpose) couldn’t recruit a good QB. Depended on a couple graduate transfers which seemed to keep good recruits from coming. They are losing their RB, and top receiver is transferring.

3 interceptions within 5 plays? Yikes. Either of our backup QBs could be starting for either team
  • agalum

They need to rename this the “pick bowl”, lol.
  • DrMike
    I would put in the giant Cheezit for the TCU QB. He’s bad
  • DrMike
    4-12, 10 yards and 3 INT. That’s a tough outing, and there’s another half to go
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!