• NCagalum
    that would be the prevailing thought, and maybe the “easy” one, but if you taken into consideration the factor of who is getting hot and who is fading, in the scenario of a UCD win out, I think the edge goes to the Aggies. Sac just got blown out and if Davis beats them that would be 3 losses in last 5 games and 4 of last 8 with an eke out win versus NAU. In addition a head to head loss with Davis to end the season. Of course I may be bias but I think there is some consideration for head to head and end of season performance in a W-L tie-breaker situation.
  • agalum
    Lets hope we are in the position to hope for a playoff bid. This is a good time to peak. We did a lot of good things Saturday, with a few new faces and twists with LL. ISU won’t be a cake walk, and while SLAC has lost a few, they have a slew of good RBs and two good QBs. If we do win outright, we deserve to get in.
  • Kerberos
    We would have the better record (UCD's 7-3, not counting the Oregon State loss, vs. Sac's 7-4, counting the Stanford win) and the head-to-head. They would have one or two quality wins (Stanford + maybe Nichols State) and we would have one quality win (Sac). All their losses would be to playoff teams or playoff eligible teams (the 3 Big Sky leaders + UCD), whereas our losses would be 1 playoff team and 2 mid-tier Big Sky teams. So it really could go either way. Let's just win and worry about all this on Selection Sunday.
  • NCagalum
    Idaho - Weber game interesting. 13-7 Idaho with 2:00 to go in half.

Edit: Weber 14 Idaho 13 with 0:47 left on half. Weber looking much better last couple games.
  • agalum
    EWU 7 MSU 41 at the half
  • NCagalum
    Great game on ESPN+ Weber - Idaho for those of you that might have that. 28-21 Weber 7:00 to go 4th.
  • NCagalum
    Weber pulls upset. They are much improved.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Weber State 31 Idaho 29 - Final
    Montana State 57 EWU 14 - Final
    NAU 28 Northern Colorado 7 - Final
    Sac State 31 Poly 23 at the half
  • NCagalum
    Poly has 30 points on Sac in 3rd quarter. Sac 38-30.
  • agalum
    30-41 SLAC, final
  • BlueGoldAg
    You would think that we may be able to score some points against Sac if Poly could put up 30 on them. However, we just seem to have such struggles offensively so who knows. I also think that Sac was probably overlooking Poly today. Anyway, there's a lot on the line now in the Causeway.
  • Zander
    NAU and Weber are putting in work to make our prior schedule seem more respectable going into Causeway week.

At least Weber is going to (likely) finish above .500. I'm still thinking/hoping that next Sat is essentially a playoff audition.
  • Toke69
    If we lose to the Hornets, our playoff chances drop to zero, right? But if we win, what are our chances? We'd have a better Big Sky record than Sac State. Does it depend on how Northern Arizona does against EWU next week?
  • Kerberos
    We’d have a better overall record than sac state too because FBS losses are thrown out. So 7-3 vs. 7-4 and we would have the head-to-head. The only way Sac gets in over us in that situation is if the FBS win is given more weight than our record and H2H win. But it’s also possible that neither 7 win team gets in — will probably largely depend on how many other teams are on the bubble.

I don’t know how the NAU/EWU affects us given that we lost to both teams.
  • DavisAggie
    If we beat Sac, we would have 3 better results v. common opponents, vs. 2 for Sac, in addition to the head to head
  • BlueGoldAg
    Montana 34 Portland State 10 - Final
  • AggieFinn2
    lol@Eastern Washington. No playoffs for you ! Also probably no playoffs for UCD unless they beat Sac State, and maybe not even then but lol@EWU with their stupid red field and their nowhere campus.
  • AggieFinn2
    Personally I would think it a blessing if the Aggies won next week and were passed over for the playoffs. Why ? They'd be paired against a better playoff team (an SDSU, NDSU, Montana school) who would just manhandle them and this would just tack another loss on the season. The players and coaches would strongly disagree as they want to keep playing but the only ways the season ends on a positive note is if they beat Sac State and don't go the playoffs or they win the national championship game, to which they've never been.

To read the box scores and the moanings of board members this team has trouble scoring points period. Just sneaking by barely beating regular season teams isn't a glowing recommendation for playoff success.

And besides, UCD doesn't have to be in the playoffs for you to go spend thousands of dollars venturing to podunk towns to watch Triple-A college football. Nothing like taking a trip just for the heck of it.
  • MarktheBronco
    2023 Week 11 UC Davis vs Idaho State

• cmt
    I think Sac is in regardless. They're a top-10 team now and unless we beat them by like 50, they're not going to drop that far in the rankings. Sac has the better win plus they've only lost to the three teams better than them so far. Meanwhile we lost to a pair of 4-6 teams. I would hope that us beating them gets us in at 7-4 but can't say for sure. Like someone else said, depends on how the rest of the bubble teams look. The Big Sky is highly rated so that helps. And beating Sac would be a quality win. But I think we'd have a better chance if we had lost to Idaho and Montana St rather than EWU and NAU.

Bottom line is we 100% have to win to have any sort of a chance.
  • cmt
    SDSU and the Montana schools will likely all have byes so there's no way we draw them. NDSU was ranked 12 and just beat the #11 team by 24. Pending other results this weekend, it wouldn't shock me if the committee gave them a bye too.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I totally agree with your thoughts about our chances of getting into the playoffs even if we beat Sac. Sac would be our only quality win in an otherwise very mediocre season. Our conference schedule this year was weak overall and we weren't able to take advantage of it. Even with a win over Sac, I don't think the selection committee would be impressed.
  • Kerberos
    Last year’s results showed us that the committee doesn’t give you much credit for “quality losses” (we weren’t even one of the first 4 out despite only having losses to FBS and top 10 teams). Seems like number of losses is more important than whom the losses were to.

Would it be better to be a Sac State with 4 losses to Montana, MSU, Idaho, and UCD OR a UCD with 3 losses to Montana, EWU, and NAU? That Stanford win will be doing all the heavy lifting if we beat Sac and they still get in over us.

I said this in another thread but I think the wildcard will be Montana’s AD being on the committee. No doubt he watched his team play both Causeway teams and of course we fared better against the Griz than the Hornets did.
  • AggieFinn
    So many explosive shots downfield given up by Poly, man.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!