• zythe
    I endorse this message.

Also, our weather is not “southern” weather and we are basically in the middle of wine country!!!!!!
  • Riveraggie
    The wine country onlly a two hour drive in three directions.
  • zythe

I guess it’s because I live in Southern California and I get a little nostalgic every time I visit the campus/town. It really is a pretty area. Although it’s not in St. Helena/Napa/Sonoma or what have you, it’s wine country to the rest of the world.

I went back right before the pandemic started after about 8 years of not being anywhere close to it. It’s gotten much better than what I remember without it’s “DNA” being changed. The school and area has so much potential.

Whenever I hear negative comments about the Davis area in general it’s always from people that have never visited. I can’t tell you how many people have told me that UC Davis was their favorite campus after visiting it. It has very little to do with the campus itself, but more to do with the general area and the city of Davis.
  • Riveraggie
    I’ll toast Davis with an Amador county Zin. a Lodi Zin or a Dry Creek Zin I’m not snobby about appellations.

I had a friend in the dorms, who told me I had to see something that he thought was outstanding. He was a surfer from San Clamente, so he’s seen some beautiful scenery before. But the Sacramento River was beautiful to him.
  • zythe

My thoughts in a cartoon…

l19ij55vn2rx4yr2.jpeg
    Attachment
    00D89BF0-146B-469A-A329-D65700458C17 (158K)
  • BlueGoldAg
    :lol:

I was talking with a fellow from SoCal many years ago and we were discussing the amazing size and geographical diversity of California. At some point, he said he thought the state was too big and therefore too difficult to govern because of how different northern and southern California were in his opinion.

He went on to say that we really should have two states: Northern and Southern California. Then he asked me, hypothetically, where I would draw the dividing line and I said, "Well maybe just north or south of Fresno. So I asked him where he would divide the state and he said, "Just north of Santa Barbara."

That kind of surprised me and I asked him why and he said, "Because the carpet ends end just north of Santa Barbara and the linoleum begins!" Needless to say that cracked me up!!
  • eastbayaggie
    So how much is it a money loser if we move up to FBS? I thought I read somewhere that Cal is currently hemorrhaging money in their sports programs.
  • Riveraggie
    which side had the carpet?
  • BlueGoldAg
    SoCal according to him. I edited my post so that it's more understandable.
  • movielover
    Not hemorrhaging, worse. Over $10M a year deficit? Plus hundreds of Millions of dollars in debt from the facilities upgrade and retrofit, and now no fans w disaster FB season.
  • movielover

Some of the previous discussions included 3 states, which made more sense. Southern, Central (including San Francisco), and Northern California (rural, North of Marin?).

Folks forget geography? Davis - Napa, 1 hour, Livermore 90 minutes.
  • Riveraggie
    Ok ;but now do it on a bicycle.
  • Bengalzrule
    Hey they need to find a way to beat Eastern Washington before you get those big dreams Bob. Beating Idaho State wouldn't hurt either.
  • cmt
    Guessing this one won't last long.
  • Toke69
    I recall hearing that most schools lose a lot of money in their FBS programs, with the exceptions of the top programs like Alabama and Ohio State. So why do they do it? I've heard it's alumni pressure, publicity to potential donors and recruitment of students.
  • NCagalum
    And as my Ancient Roman History prof at Davis repeatedly said “all roads lead to Lodi” ……
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    An Aggie friend's wife who went to HSU and is from McKinleyville (Humboldt County) says Davis isn't even in the real NorCal. I wonder what she would think of your friend's comment.
  • DrMike
    San Jose State plays UNLV tonight at 8:00. Welcome to the glamour of Mountain West football.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!